shipping costs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbiedoll68346

Reaction score
I have never dealt with shippers before and i don't have a clue how much they charge or who to contact. Any pricing and recommendations are welcome.

Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
You might try putting an ad on the LB transportion board & see what quotes you get. Some of the pro haulers will surely contact you, and you might get some individuals too that are making a trip that way and would be willing to haul your horse along for the cost of some gas. It's worth a try, and will give you some idea of what the trip is likely to cost.

Remember, cheaper is not always better. Unless I personally know or have had personal dealings with a private party, I will not have them transport for me (anyone who has had a bad experience can attest to this).

Things can still go wrong with a professional, but I prefer to have a horse in the hands of someone that will seek out vet care for them if a situation would arise. I highly rec. Hauled Right, My last horse arrived in great shape after being on a trailer for 3 days. Professional, caring, and great communication.

I know your feeling about having never dealt with a shipper. I just purchased a couple of Mini's in AR and I want them shipped to Indiana. I have made contact with 4 different shippers from the LB Transportation board and I am already fed up. I have had prices anywhere from $ 400 to $ 525 to ship 2 mini's. To top that, try to nail them down on a date has been the hardest part. I understand that they can't make a trip just for my 2 mini's but I was first told the 1st week of October, then it bumped to the 2nd week and now they are saying it may be November. I seriously doubt I will ever buy a horse I can not pick up myself again. Good luck.

Horsin Again, First try to calm down. I understand your frustration and maybe someone better than me can try to explain the shipping business to you but I'll try.

You are very correct that a shipper cannot change their route drastically to pick up one or more horses once they are on a scheduled run headed in the opposite part of the country from you. Some people schedule well in advance and the dispatcher does their best to route it out so that no horse is stuck on board for too long.

I used Hauled Wright several times and I can't say enough about how hard they work. It is not unusual for a shipper to change dates with you a couple of times because they are adding and subtracting horses and pick ups and drop offs all the time; cleaning out the poop, providing fresh clean water and hay etc. they try to please everyone but mostly again so that no horse is going to be on board too long before reaching his destination and that is key. Then there will be detours, road blocks, weather and sometimes maybe a breakdown so trying to lock a shipper into an exact day and time to the hour is nearly impossible. The great thing also about Hauled Wright is that their dispatcher is wonderful about answering the phone and calling you to keep you abreast of the situation.

www.HauledWright.com

There are several here on the board that do a great job. Most look up the 2 zip codes and already have a certain $ per mile. They find out the milage and then are able to give you the price, too, depends on how many horses.

HA-for 2 minis, that is a pretty good price. Not only are they transporting your two, they are also caring for your two, and all the others.

Not only are they paying for the gas to get them there, they are paying for insurance, toll roads, a large truck and trailer in good condition and also their time. Once I figured the cost on the persons time alone, for as much as they drive, wasn't a lot of money per hour.

I have used shippers as once I figure up all the costs, plus my time, it's worth it to pay someone.

I also call and talk with them too, makes me feel better.

I will put in a good word here for Sharrway, we have used them in the past and had great results. We got our horse here in a decent amount of time, good price and I was kept up to date about what was going on with my horse. Very nice people to work with.

2 horses from AR to IN for $525 sounds very reasonable to me. I have never had to ship a horse commercially, but I assumed that it would cost MUCH MORE than that for that kind of distance. 2 Miniature Horses take up just as much time, effort, and space as 2 "big" horses, so I hope that you aren't feeling "cheated" because they are Miniature Horses?

I check with www.travelinghorse.com to get shipping quotes. Rates and prices can really vary and it pays to shop around!
default_smile.png

It really is worth shopping around a bit.

Though I am cautious with someone who is really cheap unless I know something about them the prices for hauling are extremely variable.

The last horse hauled from here I was helping the buyer find transport.

I received quotes from just under 500 to over 1600 for the SAME trip for 1 mini yearling gelding.

That is amazing to me.

Do some homework and find the best you can.

Anne

Your quote sounds pretty reasonable. I recently got a quote from Ziegler Transport to move 2 weanlings (sharing a box stall) from here ( upper most NY) to western Conn. and they quoted me $600
default_new_shocked.gif
The trip is only 6 hrs ! I now have my own trailer
default_biggrin.png
Definitely, shop around .

I have used both Sharrway and Hauled Wright - Both are great, Sharrway is the most reasonable with their rates and I like that they own miniatures and shetlands so I know they are in good care. It cost around $500 last year to have a colt shipped from Arkansas up here to NW Ohio ... by the time i would have taken a few days off from work, paid hotel, food, gas, prob put new tires on the smaller trailer it would have cost me WAY over $500. I used Sharrway, I think HW quoted me around $575 for that same trip. I think it was like 700 miles one way, or close to that as well..

I had a filly shipped from TX to NC this past spring. It was $650. The shipper did not pin down the exact date until just before leaving as they wanted to fill the trailer both ways. They did give me a couple of dates to begin with and would narrow it down as it got closer.

I know that sounds like they are not giving straight answers but since they are coordinating multiple clients it is understandable.

I might add there was no way I could have gone out to TX and back for $650.

I just used Sharrway and they were hundreds cheaper than any of the other companies I contacted AND you get comport in knowing your horses will transported SAFELY abd CAREFULLY.

They are experienced, reliable, and Wayne will take excellent care of your horses. They only transport minis and poinies.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the input. I have got several companies contacting me so far. I have heard a lot of good things about Boothill, anyone use them??

Barb

I have shipped COMPLETELY across the country TWICE ( Oregon and WA to Cape Cod ) using Worleys Hauling and not only did they do an excellent job.....one of the horses ( a weaner) was lead trained by them along the way!

It cost around $900 each time and once was during the oil crunch with skyrocketing prices......

dru on cape cod.

Compared to last year when the fuel prices were so high, the transportation costs this year have gone down significantly. Whew!

Personally transporting a miniature to me from a long distance has never stopped me from buying a horse that will improve my breeding program.

Heck, if you want to discuss transport costs for ONE miniature, talk to the international clients that pay $4000.00 - $8000.00 or more per horse to get the horse to Europe or Australia.

No wonder they are so picky about the horses they buy. They cannot afford to make a mistake!

Just this spring I used Zeigler Horse and Livestock Transport to bring me a yearling mini gelding. They picked him up in Quinter, KS and dropped off in Sagle, ID. (Northern Idaho). It costed me $685. They took great care of my boy and he arrived on time and in great shape, they were good about keeping me updated and were very nice and helpful.

I have only used a proffesional hauler once, Hauled Wright and would highly recommend them. Tenn to S. Fla., 2 horses and extremely reasonable $. I know it would have cost me almost what they charged me total just to get out of Florida, never mind my time, tolls and hotel. I even peeked in at other horses in the trailer and every one of them looked very happy and content. They took the time to have me look over both horses ( never rushed ) and made sure I was pleased with their condition before they left. I think they went above and beyond what I expected.

Heidi

Latest posts

Back