Shipping Cart - NY to CA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm working on shipping a mini cart from NY to California before the spring shows. Has anyone had experience dealing with UPS, Fed Ex or other shipping companies? Also thought of contacting some mini horse shippers to see about sending it out that way.

Any thoughts, experience, wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cindy

Well I have had a couple carts shipped, one came ups and was super wrapped super good it was fine, had 2 carts come on yellow freight and that was a dissaster it was my friends cart and the basket was demolished! I would suggest seeing if you cant find a hauler to bring it. If they have a truck in the area it might be worth it for you to try that. I would contact www.hauledwright.com and see what they can do. Also with the cost of shipping right now it might even be more reasonable. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that advice ....I was unaware of that company but will call for a quote.

Also, congratulations on your purchase of Geshan ...he's simply gorgeous!

Cindy

Ok woohoo figured out the edit part! it is www.hauledwright.com

Last edited by a moderator:
well we are just getting started on a cart building busienss and have done research on shipping. Be prepaired t spend $300 and up on shipping through those company's with a fully assembled cart. Taken apart you can get some reasonable shipping though.

Last summer, I sold a Bellcrown pony-sized cart. Luckily, these carts 'break down' for easier shipping. The buyer, who was in Spokane, contacted one of those "mail it" places in Albuquerque; I disassembled the cart and took it into town to them. They were able to pack it for shipping, then it went freight via a company(I think it was ABF, because they had terminals both in Albuquerque and Spokane.) It got there just fine, well-packed-I don't know what it all cost her, however. A horse hauler might be able to bring it, too. You would want it to be protected, though-and not be being moved in and out of the hauling vehicle along the way.

Nearly two years ago, I ordered a road cart from Pequea Carriage in PA-was fortunate that the builder knew a woman who went across country with an 8 horse gooseneck, to buy Standardbreds OT in CA and bring them back to the east coast to sell. She would head west with a trailer load of carriages, then back with the horses. Luckily for me, she drove the 'southern' route(I-40) that trip; I met her just off the Interstate near my home-it cost me only $100 for the shipping!!

The last Jerald I got, a very small obstacle cart, cost @ $135 in shipping, picked up at the truck terminal-but that was around 6-8 years ago! (Jerald show carts DON'T 'break down' for shipping, and have to be VERY well-packed(and are!) for shipping--but that's got to make the cost higher than for a cart that can be 'compacted' into a square pkg. by being able to be taken apart somewhat.

I asked this question in November and now have one more piece of advice to add: GET THE QUOTE IN WRITING. The fact I had written it down with the confirmation number saved my butt when they tried to charge me more than double what I'd been quoted ($700 instead of $264). It still took me three weeks of faxing and fighting with them to get anywhere near what I'd been quoted, but in the end I got the cart for $339. This was a full-assembled used Houghton show cart.

Second piece of advice: Make darn sure they pad the wheels. My seller for some reason shipped it with the wooden wheels on and uncovered and they were horribly scratched and the paint was flaking from where they had spent the whole trip from CA to WA rubbing against the cardboard. Very annoying as now I have to pay to have them repaired. I could have bought a new cart for what I'm spending patching up all the things I was told were "in perfect shape" on the used one. ::grumble:: Sorry, OT.

Leia

I asked this question in November and now have one more piece of advice to add: GET THE QUOTE IN WRITING. The fact I had written it down with the confirmation number saved my butt when they tried to charge me more than double what I'd been quoted ($700 instead of $264). It still took me three weeks of faxing and fighting with them to get anywhere near what I'd been quoted, but in the end I got the cart for $339. This was a full-assembled used Houghton show cart.

Second piece of advice: Make darn sure they pad the wheels. My seller for some reason shipped it with the wooden wheels on and uncovered and they were horribly scratched and the paint was flaking from where they had spent the whole trip from CA to WA rubbing against the cardboard. Very annoying as now I have to pay to have them repaired. I could have bought a new cart for what I'm spending patching up all the things I was told were "in perfect shape" on the used one. ::grumble:: Sorry, OT.

Leia

Excellent advice about the packing and the quotes ....thank you all for your assistance. Are there any companies you really liked? I have checked with UPS and dissassembled they are quoting about $300 for the cart from NY to CA.

Cindy

OK, I know where MY mind is. I read "shopping cart" from NY to CA, so I was thinking if you could go horse shopping, starting in NY and ending in CA!!! :bgrin :bgrin

definatly not cheap shipping that's for sure. Are show carts will be able to be dissasembled relatively easily and we have found a place that will ship them for under $200. $300 through UPS is not bad from what we could find.

Latest posts

Back