Shetland Pony Sale in 1949

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is featuring on FHOTD at the moment and, of course it was abuse, just as the "Big Lick" horses of today are abuse, but it was 50 years ago and hopefully the day of these malnourished abused creatures is over now??So little point on banging on about it, I would have thought??

!!
The point was Jane,,, it isn't over,, still see this kind of thing today in the USA. Happens all the time.... still. But I fathom you think it is OK. Fine, want to ignore the abuse go ahead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

Tony,,

Those are wonderful photos of you and your family with your ponies. Thank you for sharing them.

"The point was Jane,,, it isn't over,, still see this kind of thing today in the USA. Happens all the time.... still. But I fathom you think it is OK. Fine, want to ignore the abuse go ahead.'

Hold on here. This thread was to show some great ponies from 50 years ago, not to debate whether it was cruelty or if it still goes on. Want to go there?? What about cropping ears, branding and tagging, and melamine in baby formula? Let's not get into a p**sing contest whether anybody thinks this is or is not cruelty.

How about enjoying some great old photos, understanding that things were done differently then, and MOST people agree it should not happen now.

What I find interesting is that these ponies look very like miniatures, and are quite small. Are we seeing one of the lines of history that made the miniature horse Breed?

Thanks Tony, as always a great font of knowledge.

How about enjoying some great old photos, understanding that things were done differently then, and MOST people agree it should not happen now.
Agreed - I doubt that anyone here would think that those extreme feet were fine and dandy or applaud the tail sets.

I thought the photos were just a fascinating glance into the past... and I agree - let's just enjoy them. Thanks for the background info, Tony!

I like the outfits... the hair styles... and some of the fencing leaves a lot to be desired - as these ponies wandering through the sagging barbed wire demonstrate!
default_wink.png

TCPDF-shetlandherd.jpg

If you want to see the tail sets of the time up close - put Wing Commander (famous Saddlebred stallion) in the search on those pages...

Last edited by a moderator:
Am sure that tail was broken and reset in the first photo. Is a shame.
If you look at that first photo again...you will see the piece of thick leather that actually HOLDS the tail in that position. I have seen this piece of equipment, and it is not necessarily used on a broken tail...it is the humane means of giving the illusion of a set tail.

it isn't over,, still see this kind of thing today in the USA. Happens all the time.... still
It should be, if the laws are followed. Has it not been a number of years since deadening of tails on western horses, and breaking and setting gaited horses tails, has been outlawed?? I think that now all gaited horses wear the tail-harness I am sure that pony is wearing in that first photo.
default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png

As for the length of those hooves...I wonder how on earth the ponies could even walk, let alone perform a show trot!

I do like looking back, and seeing how "it" used to be. Pretty amazing that we can sit here in our homes and look into the past so effortlessly.

And the PRICES...holy smokes!!!!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

I too think this is an awsome find and just love looking through all the pictures. I see ribbons in some of thie pictures so It was most likely a show? But could be a sale also.

This picture cought my eye as I started flipping through--
default_new_shocked.gif

LINK

I too think this is an awsome find and just love looking through all the pictures. I see ribbons in some of thie pictures so It was most likely a show? But could be a sale also.This picture cought my eye as I started flipping through--
default_new_shocked.gif

LINK
I am so glad that you posted that one. I hadn't seen it and my parents are in the center of the picture on the second row, just above the pony's right shoulder. I think that I am sitting by Mother, but am hidden by the man's hat in front of us!!! I didn't realize that we had been in LIFE! It was a sale and lots of times a horses ribbons and trophies went with the horse.

That is so neat for you Tony!!! These pictures tell so much of the history of the pony!! Plus we get the benefit of someone knowing what is going on to tell us!!
default_smile.png

LOVING this thread!!!

Tony, by the way........how IS your book coming?
default_wink.png

Maryanne

I think "The Book" is coming one paragraph at a time and we best copy it from the LB Forum!

default_laugh.png

"The point was Jane,,, it isn't over,, still see this kind of thing today in the USA. Happens all the time.... still. But I fathom you think it is OK. Fine, want to ignore the abuse go ahead.'Hold on here. This thread was to show some great ponies from 50 years ago, not to debate whether it was cruelty or if it still goes on. Want to go there?? What about cropping ears, branding and tagging, and melamine in baby formula? Let's not get into a p**sing contest whether anybody thinks this is or is not cruelty.

What I find interesting is that these ponies look very like miniatures, and are quite small. Are we seeing one of the lines of history that made the miniature horse Breed?

Thanks Tony, as always a great font of knowledge.
For Gods sake get a grip...where on earth can you make a leap from my pointing out that these pictures were taken fifty years ago to me thinking animal abuse is OK??

Honestly I have to wonder sometimes where people keep there brains!!
default_wink.png

And Thank You, Ruffian, for making a very relevant point...

These pictures were put up as a trip down memory lane, no more, and they are priceless...I for one would just love to have a flip through Tony's photo albums sometime...Noe that would most probably make a book in itself!

A lot of things were done differently 50 years ago, I'm a bit older than Tony and, believe me, when horse were working animals , not pets, they were treated differently.

Not necessarily worse or badly, but definitely differently.

No, I don't agree with the set tails (Hackneys over here still use that wotsit under the tail as nicking is illegal, and the length of the wotsit is strictly governed, too. Uncomfortable and outdated, but not cruel.)

The feet were awful, but some Shetlands are still shown with "pads", is that true??

And of course no-one mentions the horrible check rein, I notice.....still in common (mis) use.

But the overall "type" of those ponies really seems good to me...I would not have minded buying a few...noticeably less Hackney influence, is that right Tony???

Do you remember roughly how big these ponies were??

You know, if Tony has not the time to write the book, someone should get over there with a tape recorder and get all this on record, at least.

And not only Tony, I'm sure he could point us in the direction of people older than himself....this sort of knowledge needs writing down before it disappears for good.

Right, I'm off to dig through those pictures on the "Life" site
default_smile.png

Tony that is so awsome! Im glad I posted it!

But the overall "type" of those ponies really seems good to me...I would not have minded buying a few...noticeably less Hackney influence, is that right Tony???
The ponies ranged in size from 32" to 46" generally. Of course the show hoof added 2" at least. Our entire herd were under 40" and the last ten years that my dad was raising Shetlands our main stallion was 36". There was great conformation and poor conformation, just like today, but the really good ones aren't that different from the good ones today. We pretty much stopped showing because of the cost of changing shoes constantly and the fact that my parents were always working and couldn't afford trainers. Hmmm... not much has changed after all! LOL.

Wow, nice old pictures! That must have useda very good camera back then! About the hoofs, way back when, they weren't too concerned about the hoofs. As long as the horse came home with the blue. The tailset also seems broken in the first picture; it should be high up, and carriage-set. The neck is pretty bulky, also, but that was typical for horses like that way back when. Then, I am also being picky myself. Even our shetlands look more "uniform" today. But anyways, nice pictures!

Alyssa

This is great, thanks for posting it! It looks like they were really trying to imitate saddlebreds back then, with the tails and hooves. It's interesting to see what has changed, and what has stayed the same.

Thanks so much for posting the pictures and Tony, thanks for the history lesson.

Now in 1956 I had a shetland...at least that is what my dad called it and it was a short dumpy horse....that was sooooo stubborn. I wish I had a picture of him. Do any of you remember those kind of shetlands?

Cool pictures and stories. Did anyone ever put in the search area Miniature Horses? I did there was like 3 or 4 pictures
default_wub.png
. Didn't want to take from this post, but I just thought I'd mention it.

These pics are fascinating to me also!

No wonder you are such a wealth of information, Tony.........with your horse background from the time you were born almost and with both your parents so involved also!

I loved the picture of your dad...... and you on the little horse. So cute.

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back