She's here....it's pretty bad

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No thanks go to me. Without your support and guidance I would have been lost and simply melted in a pool of tears and hopelessness :no: . In fact, when my friend and I went to get her, we had to first, get her out of the pen she was in...which meant picking up her feet and moving them. Once we were outside of the gate we realized the trailer had to be closer. As my friend walked down the road to get the truck (we originally thought we would walk her down the muddy road..we had no idea she was as bad off as this) - I just stood there with her and cried. I'm not so good at being stoic! And I was trying desperately to find Ginis phone number on my cell phone...so I'm standing there swatting off the mosquitoes and flies (it was a virtual swamp) and crying and fumbling with the phone. I never did get Gini at that point - I couldn't work my dumb phone while in that state.

I wanted to add that once Diana from Voice For Horses saw these pictures, she was ready to come and get her. She is emailing for updates and very happy to know you guys are involved. But as a Rescuer, I think she's a little sad that she didn't get the chance to help...lol. So, we've sent her on another local rescue! When another farrier in the area heard about Phoebe, he stopped out to see her - he's an apprentice so we won't have him work on her, but he just wanted to see what he had heard about at the vets office. When he was here, he told me there are some people not far from here that have a donkey just like Phoebe...and it just so happens that Diana has loads of experience with Donkeys. So...we're working on getting the little guy out to her.

I don't have extra money, but I'm trying to make up for it in time and energy...I have that
default_smile.png
. It feels good to be a small cog in the wheel in something like this for once...I have felt helpless in the past because I just knew that I couldn't afford to help a horse in such dire need because we are on such a budget. So I feel honored to be allowed to give the little that I do have...it's good for my spirit.

Our area has a horrible lack of concern for animal welfare. I may write up a piece about Phoebe and send the pictures to the paper. People need to know that our local laws MUST be changed. This case is basically nonpunishable under our current humane laws. She had shelter, she was 4 feet from a full water tank (even though she probably couldn't get to it) and it appears that he was tossing some hay to her. The fact that he didn't care for her feet or groom her mane and wouldn't have considered fly spray - well, the Humane Shelter manager told me that there isn't a judge in this county that would punish anyone for that. They view them as livestock and not pets...they are very, very much in the mindset that there are better things to spend our time on in the courts. So, I'm going to do what I can to let people know that if they have a horse in this condition, they should give it to someone who can help it. My husband wants to write our representatives and send them these pictures and explain to them that there is no law that prevents this despicable cruelty. We need to stress that Indiana is light years behind most of the country on this topic.

Anyway....

In 24 hours I'll have the x rays. I'll post them here for everyone to see. And then I'll post after the farrier leaves.

Everyone have a great day.

Tracy

Last edited by a moderator:
i just want you to know that time is the most valuable thing you can give!!! yes we have to have money too to help these guys but you cant put a price tag on giving your time to help a needy animal.

i hope you write that article and get the word out. Every piece of exsposure helps!!

thank you so much

[SIZE=18pt]Wow. She looks just like Trisket. Her other owner that gave her to CMHR said her feet looked like that when she first got to her barn. Her feet are fine now, Trisket actually told Bonnie that her feet looked funny now. [/SIZE]

Does she have any white on her face? I'm sure once she's better she'll find a nice and loving home.

Christy

Here's more pictures from this morning (the little stinker got out of her stall by slipping under the stall guard so I took advantage of her standing on the matt and got better pictures)...I'll post some afters once the farrier leaves tomorrow. You can see we removed the tip of the curl so it wasn't gouging her...
default_sad.png
...but she is desperately needing professional work. I'm counting the hours down to this time tomorrow!

pheobe073006017.jpg

Pheobesfeet5.jpg

Pheobesfeet4.jpg

Pheobesfeet3.jpg

Pheobesfeet2.jpg

pheobe073006009.jpg

pheobe073006004.jpg

Oh my :new_shocked:.

God bless CMHR!

I've never seen anything that bad and i've seen wild mustangs be brought in off the trailer down south and i've never seen hooves that bad even on mustangs. I couldnt imagine seeing her trying to walk with hooves like that, that is so heartbreaking.

With CMHR by her side she can only improve!

So glad she is getting care that is needed.

Yeah, if you want to abuse an animal, move to Indiana, it is sickening!!!!

I worked at the County Animal Shelter for several years, I left because I just couldn't handle it any more. All the employees there, faught and faught until we had no fight left. And we never won a darn thing.

Our laws suck and our law makers should be more than embarrassed by what they call "laws" they have made to so call protect animals in this state.

Most of the time I worked there, I spend 98% of the time with my hands tied. And then had to listen to other people accuse me of not having a heart. Maybe at that point I didn't, as it had been broken over and over again due to our wonderful "laws".

In this state, for equine, it's pretty simple,

There must be water present, and food on the property.

So as long as you have a 1/2 bag of grain in your garage, and the same 1/2 bag can be there for 3 months, you are covered! It is beyond disgraceful.

So, especially here, it does take wonderful people like Tracy, and rescues.

Thanks for the update.

Well, here are the rads: the RF, well...2/3 of the CB is gone. Sorry about the window screen in the back of the film...I took them on a window.

xrays004.jpg

LF^

xrays002.jpg

RF^

OK....the law is a Donkey, we know that.
default_smile.png

These people show, right??

Blow up the pictures of the feet, and of the X-rays, and of the mare herself, and make them into posters stating the names of the people that let her get like this.

Go to a few shows and POST THEM!!!!

Put them up in feed barns where they shop, put them up in the Vets.

Name and SHAME them.

Take out a full page spread in the local newspaper.

Would CMHR pay for that??

So long as EVERYTHING is absolutely true there is not one thing they can do about it.
default_smile.png
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_smile.png

default_smile.png

Blow up the pictures of the feet, and of the X-rays, and of the mare herself, and make them into posters stating the names of the people that let her get like this.

Name and SHAME them.

So long as EVERYTHING is absolutely true there is not one thing they can do about it.
default_smile.png
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_smile.png
Bad idea, unless you want to be taken to court. Libel and slander laws are strict... I'm not sure which it would fall under (if not both) since my mind is fuzzy. Sadly, sometimes these laws protect the abuser... they'd have to be able to prove everything, flat-out beyond a shadow of a doubt, and it sounds like the laws there would be agianst them.

I jave been doing a lot of work on Pheobe and can tell you she is a very sweet if confused mare right now!

While I was taking some of the pain out of her knees she was literally following me with her nose! :new_shocked: It was like okay what are you doing?

default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Bonnie

default_smile.png

Name and SHAME them.

default_smile.png
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_smile.png
Hey Jane. I love the attitude and would agree with you. But....

CMHR was founded as a non-judgemental organization. While we all may agree with you at heart, it is very important that CMHR NOT do what you suggest. CMHR has to prove every day and at each rescue that we will not judge what is happening. This is CMHR's foundation and how CMHR will gain the trust of those involved.

Sigh.
default_sad.png

ANyway, while I don't do much with CMHR anymore due to personal health reasons, I still LOVE CMHR and their volunteers very much and it breaks my heart when I read what is happening with these horses before they get to those with CMHR. I would love it if CMHR was no longer needed!

And Bonnie... My deepest thanks to you. I know what you are doing for this mare (from experience with others) and once again, you can't be thanked enough!

(((Hugs to you all!)))

Nila,

Thank you! You said it so well. As much as some of us would like to really rip on the

owners of these horses we can't. It would do the horses a grave injustice and possibly

put them thru more danger and abuse. We are very lucky that Tracy found Phoebe and has

brought her so far along. Phoebe is now a lucky girl. Stacy and Joy will welcome her to AZ

in the next few weeks or so.

Thank you Tracy!!!!

Bonnie, she does that when we try and touch her knees
default_smile.png
. She's very wary of her legs - and the closer you get to her feet she must have her mouth right there (justin case).

She is doing well today, but she seems to be a little "off"...I can't put my finger on it. Bonnie, would you know? I'll be watching her closely. Her appectite is the same, she just seems tired or something.

While we would all like the previous owner to suffer the same as Phoebe did, we can't do that to our OWN reputation. At LEAST he did turn her over. If anyone goes out and hangs signs, spreads rumors, etc, it may just turn off a person who has a horse that really needs our help for fear of the same attacks. Some people get overwhelmed by horses/situations like this. There are many reasons including mental illness. You can't tear someone up for what they have done if in the end they did the right thing. It may be different if she hadn't been turned over and the owner REFUSED to accept help, but then you run the risk of the person taking the horse out back and just killing it to get rid of the evidence.

It's a very hard thing to bite your tongue when faced with these situations but we must remember that we are there for the horse and the first and foremost thing is to get them out of bad situations and forge on ahead with the rehabilitation and happier times!
default_yes.gif
:

Nila, welcome back!!!! We miss you!

Stacy

I think in this case, it was simply ignorance. As disgusting and patheitc as that seems. Phoebe was neglected, but she appears to have been handled "nicely" - she's not headshy, afraid of people, etc. The little teenager that lived next door went over some time ago with nippers....the girl wanted to trim Phobes hooves. The man said,

Hon, thats just how her feet grow".

He needs an education....a serious one....but as Stacy and Gini said, he handed her over - that was the RIGHT thing to do. I doubt he had people knocking athis door to offer help until I came. He had offered her originally to the neighbors (with the teen) but they are new to horses themselves and were overwhelmed at the sight of her. That indicates to me that he wanted to get her out of the situation but didn't know what else to do.

The longer I look at this situation, the sadder it becomes, but the easier it is to understand. I'm just so glad that she wasn't beat as far as I can tell. When Gini told me Mouses story I just couldn't believe what I heard. So, it could have been worse for Phoebe....it could have.

:aktion033: Kudos to all of you involved!

I am dying to see what the farrier can do....I know it will be slow, but I'll stop cringing when I see them start to improve......What an idiot, "that's just the way her feet grow?" You must be joking.......

Hugs to you guys and much healing vibes to Phoebe!

Latest posts

Back