Shedding Out

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What sort of things affect how a horse sheds out?

Worming?

Diet?

Heredity?

My sister has a 6 year old mare that she got last summer as a rescue. We assumed she wasn't shed out because of worms/nutrition. Well, she isn't shedding out this year, either. Is there something she might be missing in her diet? Does she need a pancur purge? Is it just "who she is"?

What sort of things affect how a horse sheds out?

Worming?

Diet?

Heredity?

My sister has a 6 year old mare that she got last summer as a rescue. We assumed she wasn't shed out because of worms/nutrition. Well, she isn't shedding out this year, either. Is there something she might be missing in her diet? Does she need a pancur purge? Is it just "who she is"?
she may want to have some blood work done.Non shedding a very good indication of Cushings disease, but blood tests don't always show it.Cushings horses are at great risk of founder which can be life threatening.I have 3 cushings mares here-1 who is 23 and on prescription Pergolide and is doing very well.She has been on meds over 3 years and this year is shedding a small amount.Other 2 are on herbal supplements for disease.Tell your sister to get on it right away before other problems develope.Other problems are weakened immune system, big belly but ribby near backbone.

Hi Marsha,

Just a couple of thoughts on your question. The extended light period of spring is the lightbulb for the shedding process...about 7 weeks in many horses. But, a cold, wet spring can delay shedding, depending on what part of the country you all are in.

Certainly her poor nutrition can affect shedding and may result in the retention of coat. Also, I'd wonder about hormonal issues (think Thyroid and Cushings...though with Cushings I typically think of a more aged horse.)

Maybe doing a fecal would be a good spot check and a phone consult with the vet techs at your vet clinic, to assess if there are any other options to consider before a vet comes out.

Good luck.

Cindy

I have a mare here who would not shed out the past few years. I would clip her and her coat would come back in horrible. She sat out most of last show season because of this. This year, she was also going to sit out. This one horse has had more bloodwork done then I can count. I had a different vet look over her blood work and told her what was going on. We ruled out nutrition, worms, etc. The second vet suggested testing her Thyroid(which I had asked vet #1 about 2 years ago and was told there was no need to). Sure enough, her Thyroid off. It was the lowest reading on a Thyroid this second vet has ever done. She gets Thyro-L and her coat looks 100% better. She clipped up awesome, whereas the past 2 years before Thyro-L, her coat has looked terrible, even when clipped. She will be ready to show in June. Might be worth checking out on your horse. It's one of the cheaper bloodtests you can do(atleast up this way), and could be worth just checking.

~Jen~

Latest posts

Back