Our new pregnent mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackson05

Reaction score
We got our first mini 🌸 about 4 weeks ago. She is in foal and we where told she should foal before Christmas.
This pore mumma is atleast 21 years old we where told. She sadly came from a not very nice situation i suspect she has just been used to pump out as many babys as she can
she is so over it the pore mumma and This hot Australian summer isn't being kind either.
Hopefully we don't have to long to go.Screenshot_20221211-144754_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20221211-144905_Gallery.jpg

Congratulations on your new addition! Are you familiar with foaling out minis? Any specific questions for that process?

I am a registered nurse and I've got experience with many goat kiddings but foaling is new to me. I'm worried about her age and how she will go. This forum has helped so much. She has started to bag upp but still quite small and isn't making much progress yet.

No doubt she's in good hands. Congratulations on your new family member. If you can handle kidding, I'm sure foaling will be similar and go smoothly for you. Chances are she's got this herself. I'm assuming you're not going to be breeding her again in the future. 21 isn't a bad age for a pregnancy - especially if she's been bred consistently. I don't personally like back-to-back breeding more than just 2 years in a row without a rest. But I don't run a big breeding program. You're already watching for all the right signs; the milk will change colour to quite white and the pH will drop 12 - 24 hours before she delivers. Please keep us posted. Best wishes to you new mama. What is her name?

I'm not too familiar with goats, but I've had quite a few lambs. The biggest difference as far as I can tell is the time it takes. In horses everything happens 123 and if you notice any problem you do not want to wait and see , you probably need to assist right away. Especially with an experienced broodmare. My last foal the mare was resting peacefully and not showing any signs of labor. I took a 15 minute break and when I came out the foal was standing already. Oh and there won't be a second one in there, Lol.

Hi Jackson

Welcome mate , another Aussie here !!

I think you have a little time yet , the foal is still currently sideways , so not lined up yet. Where about in Australia are you ? The pic you have posted standing directly behind her is a great ref point. When you are looking at her from behind and can no longer see he sides sticking out , your getting close.

Cheers Ryan

No doubt she's in good hands. Congratulations on your new family member. If you can handle kidding, I'm sure foaling will be similar and go smoothly for you. Chances are she's got this herself. I'm assuming you're not going to be breeding her again in the future. 21 isn't a bad age for a pregnancy - especially if she's been bred consistently. I don't personally like back-to-back breeding more than just 2 years in a row without a rest. But I don't run a big breeding program. You're already watching for all the right signs; the milk will change colour to quite white and the pH will drop 12 - 24 hours before she delivers. Please keep us posted. Best wishes to you new mama. What is her name?
Her name is blossom 🌸 we don't know how many babys she has had. 4 that we know off.
Definitely last bubba for her

Hi Jackson

Welcome mate , another Aussie here !!

I think you have a little time yet , the foal is still currently sideways , so not lined up yet. Where about in Australia are you ? The pic you have posted standing directly behind her is a great ref point. When you are looking at her from behind and can no longer see he sides sticking out , your getting close.

Cheers Ryan
We are FNQ.
Yes we are still a very wide load. She is doing lots of rolling. Biting sides, swishing tail.
She is getting Lucerne chaff, speedi-beet, stud grow pallets, mineral Gold pallet, and access to Rhodes and grass is there anything else that she needs ?

Yes that udder is much better! Are you checking at night and morning? Or one or the other? You will probably notice her udder is larger in the morning and shrinks h throughout the day. Can’t wait to see what she has for you!

We are still very round. I guess she is probably going to foal soon because as of this morning we are very flooded in. With the only way out via boat.
I new this was going to happen. Udder verry tight and full. Screenshot_20221228-121326_Gallery.jpgQUESTION.
She has this sort of wet, moist part that was in between the teats. ( they are normally quite sagged and we live in the hot tropics, What is the safest thing to use to dry it out before foal arrives. Skin is not broken! I was thinking just salty water ?
Screenshot_20221228-121407_Gallery.jpg

Another question........ is her spine starting to become like this normal for her given how pregnant she is
Has only been a week since it started getting bigger down her back.
Screenshot_20221228-123150_Gallery.jpg

It’s not unusual for the spine to be more obvious as they get close because all the muscle is relaxing in preparation for foaling. Mine often get bony looking but it resolves shortly after foaling. You can get a damp rag and clean between her teats if you want. Should clean up pretty nice. How is her ph?

What's the verdict? I wonder with all the rolling if she was positioning the foal, or was she starting into labor? Looking forward to any updates and fingers crossed for a healthy baby and mama and an uncomplicated delivery!

Latest posts

Back