Shedding in Pittsburgh

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtominis

Reaction score
Does anyone have minis in PA/ Western PA, that are barely beginning to shed? Right now I don't think it's a problem, seeing as we have snow today ! But this is supposed to be the end of the cold weather and Teddy still has his woolly mammoth coat. I would like to avoid clipping him, if at all possible.

Here, its been in the 30's and 40's (aka really warm) We do still have some snow, but Its melting =) Éowyn hasn't really been shedding either. But once it hits around late mid- late April they will start shedding like crazy and you have to keep up on grooming them every day. Last year I didn't groom her that often and she tried to shed her self and itched all the way down to the skin on her neck! So this year I have a shedding blade =) (btw I'm from MN)

I'm in eastern PA and it was 23 this morning! A few of mine are starting to shed. Some hold onto their coats a little longer, but when they start, you better be standing upwind
default_smile.png

LOL Reading this...Halo has been shedding up a storm, for about two weeks now. The ranch owner and I will be standing there talking and both of us are petting and scratching Halo, and we will be covered in fur. It has been wet here, but warmer, so she is getting rid of her winter coat, that is for sure. I decided it was worth the extra, for this month, to pay to have her groomed, as I can't be there daily. That may end up being a yearly cost...is a month or two of paying for grooming. Otherwise, she would probably rub herself raw. And she wasn't as furry as some I have seen. There is a pony near where I board her, on some other property and it looks like a bear. Doesn't even look like a pony. Didn't realize how furry they can get in winter.

Diva started to shed this week. We hit 40 and I hope it stays so we can get rid of the snow it is still single digits at night.

I'm in Western MD - about 2 hours from Pittsburgh and mine are barely shedding. We had lots of snow in March and it has been very cold but in two more days it's supposed to warm up dramatically. I'm armed and ready with a shedding blade!

In Upstate NY - scorching high of 27 today! Feeling pretty guilty for clipping my guy a few weeks ago, but, he doesn't seem to mind, as he's got a nice warm stall, and enough blankets to outfit an itty bitty horse army!

I'm in Northwestern PA and all of mine are shedding. What are you feeding your horses?

He gets Purina mini horse and pony feed and hay. Hes not out on grass currently because we are waiting for the grass to grow up. He has started to shed a little bit, and today is supposed to be the coldest day until October! YAY!

I bet he is shedding more than you think. When I switched over to minis, I bought young stock and they never shed out very well that first spring. Consequently,I never really knew if the poor shedding was due to their young age or less than desirable feed. Now that they are older and on a good feed, they all shed out very nicely. You should be fine and let's pray that this cold weather is behind us.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back