She did it , finnally grew over

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krstn&Locket

Reaction score
:no I was so sad that my little girl grew over. I love her to much to sell her and eventually I would like to breed her to somthing really little. Shes not that much over, only like 40 1/2, but it still matters with showing and Im sad that Im going to miss out this comming year. Everyone's telling me to breed her next year but she'll only be three and I feel thats way way to young. What age do you think is best to breed at? What can I do now, I love showing is there shows for oversized minis? shes registerd AMHR and world class but I guess those are useless now. She has a beautiful build and she has always done so well in shows. Ide hate for her to just sit around and be a pet because shes just so nice and has great bloodlines.

[SIZE=14pt]Sorry your girl is over.... looks like she is now just a world class show pony. It is ok to breed her but what would you get? just an unregistered pony. That is 2 and a half inches over sized. The only honest thing to do is turn in her amhr papers and write on it that she went over so they know. I know there are lots of people that will tell you just breed her and dont tell but then if her babies go over there will be other sad people like you with horses they cant show.[/SIZE]

Hope you can make the right decision.

Lyn

[dratted double post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why can't you show her as a World Class Show Pony????

And isn't AMHR starting up a show pony registry too?

I agree with Lyn regarding breeding her too. She's still beautiful and you still love her. And there are shows you can still show her in.

MA

That's got to be the worst thing obout this breed. It's understandible but is still stinky when you get a horse that grows to much. Good luck with your final decision.

I am sorry.. how frustrating for you.

Why dont you get some info on the NSPR with the AMHR they can be up to 14.2 do have or will have some performance classes ( i know a show in a surrounding state had some at there ASPC/R show as well.

Well you can still show at local open shows.......and coming 3 is the ideal age to start her driving career ...she is an excellent size for CDE competition .......what about putting her to saddle and doing leadline with her (know any tiny tots) ......as for breeding ...you should think long and hard about your end goal......do you want to produce something in particular that you cannot find elsewhere?......I am not against crossbreds......some of the highest priced horses/ponies I have met over the years were 1/2 breds.........but you really need a very specific goal when producing crosses........what about doing 4H with her? just some other ideas.....

What color is she? If she's pinto by any chance, she can be registered and shown as such
yes.gif

saludando.gif
Hey what about something totally different like Combined Driving-???? If your horse is just a bit bigger it could actually w-or-k out- -we-ll- for you. Sorry, my computer is just dashing about today. The combined driving has a dressage driving section, an obstacle section and a marathon. We are going to try to do it with some of our A and R horses because it seems to be a lot of fun. Check it out. There is more to do than just go to regular shows as well, not to minimize showing, it is difficult and and important part of the breed. But you could drive almost all over the place. I have begun to go to the Miami Bike Path (in Ohio, and reserves that have horse trails and it is a real hoot. Think outside of the envelope. You may be surprised what you find.

You can show her in the Pony classes up here in Maine. They are Open Pony classes, so she can still show in that. They usually offer Driving and Halter at the same shows as the Mini classes. Get her up and driving and they have Open Pleasure Driving, Carriage Driving, Obstacle Race, etc at all these shows too. You'll have to go against full sized horses, but I know of a few Mini's that have and have held their own...one of our Mini's has actually yet to be beat in the Cone race by any full sized horse...we've gone against Friesians, Morgans,etc and we still beat their time. At the July show in Skowhegan that you went to, they also have Open Driving for just kids. So, atleast you would still get to show her!

Jen

I'll definately look in to some of the pony classes. If anyone has any information on them I would love to know more. I agree on breeding her, I wouldnt want anyone else to be dissapointed because there mini has gone over. I wanted to start her on driving so I got a training harrness and it doesnt fit
no.gif
I guess shes to big for mini stuff now... owell guess Ill have to buy one for made for ponys.
smile.gif

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid1...d1/f5afb264.jpg

Is this YOUR measurement? Or was she measured on level ground with a regulation measuring stick? Accurate measuring is a touchy subject around here lately, but trying to measure her on your own without a level can be extremely inaccurate, and could make a big difference.

Do you know anyone with a Sligo stick who would measure her for you?

(I'm afraid the Sligo Stick does not measure as tall as even 40", so that would't be of any help to you.)

Have to say, unless she was measured standing in a hole, and with the bottom of the stick resting on something higher, there is almost NO likelihood that even a casual measurement would be off by 2 1/2 inches.However, I definitely WOULD suggest that you make every effort to get as accurate a measurment as is possible--and do it more than once, for an average, because, yes, there *can* be 'some' MODERATE variation, even when under proper circumstances. That said, being too tall for (even)AMHR is NOT the 'end of the world'!! As others have mentioned-there are open shows, for both in-hand and driving-and CDEs have a pony division, too. I think World Class has a division for taller animals--and there IS that new"Show Pony"division that has been added on the ASPC(which owns AMHR.) If showing is what you want to do, you certainly do not need to be limited--there are a LOT of shows 'out there'.

I do agree with Lyn J. on the breeding issue(and, on the issue of honesty in breeding and, once you have definitely determined that the horse has gone over, in turning in the AMHR papers.) You can investigate, first, what the requirements are for inclusion in the new"Show Pony" division, as you might need proof that the horse in question DID qualify as a 'regular' AMHR-registered horse, first. I'm sure the registry office could make you aware of the requirements there.)

Main thing is, you love her, and are happy with her-no papers could add to that.

There are several shows that offer youth driving, amateur driving (don't know the exact MHA rules regarding the age of an amateur - lost my book), obstacle driving. Something else to try is just showmanship. Always good to work with your horse on manners and response to the slightest cues. And Little Oak farm in Wesley has a carriage day thing that goes on the first weekend in October that's open to anyone. I know some of the smaller shows offer an in-hand obstacle trail class too. There's still plenty of stuff you can do if you want to keep her around and show her! And, if you still feel the need to show in mini classes, I have plenty to choose from!

Another thing to consider starting her on late next year, if you know of any young kids who might want to do leadline classes...she's a good height as long as she's mentally stable enough to do it.

Latest posts

Back