Shaving/Razoring...explanation?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendymac

Reaction score
Can someone explain the difference between "razoring" and "clipping"? Is razoring where you take a razor (after clipping) and remove the last trace of the whiskers around their muzzle, chin, and eye (NOT the eyelashes)? I do NOT want to hear pros and cons about it, I just want to make sure I'm on the same page. :)

Yes. Clipping is done with a set of electric clippers and blades of varying closeness to achieve different looks and remove hair and whiskers. Razoring is exactly that with a razor being used on the areas you mentioned to get extra close.

One reason it's a bit controversial is because people don't seem to use it to remove those last few whiskers. They use it to make the horse absolutely nekkid in those spots and many people (me included) don't like how it looks. But if we don't like it, we don't have to do it! :aktion033: It's a free country.

Anyway, yes, you've got it exactly right.

Leia

Yes, you've got it.

It's interesting to me to see how well those opposed and not opposed have actually DONE at shows.

There are a lot of people who have tons of advice and opinions, yet I sure don't see the creditials to back up a lot of what they "know". Their mind is made up, so don't confuse them with the facts.

Maybe I just need some more coffee this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well....I do not razor simply as I do not like the look- I would never suggest any cruelty involved!!

And when I clip I take off all the whiskers- they grow back!!

I would NEVER take off eye lashes, I do not like the idea of that at all, but I do not know anyone who would, deliberately, do it, anyway.

I think with a Sorrel, razoring can look strange, and you can get as good a look, maybe better, with a close clip.

But to answer the original question..

Razoring is exactly what it says- another name is Balding- again, exactly what it says, and clipping close seems to be the choice of most on this Forum. Welfare issues do not come into it as far as I am concerned.
default_smile.png

I razor MYSELF on a daily basis. I have done it to some of my horses and they looked great. I do not get it at all, that some think it's cruel. Judging from how some of my horses actually mug for it and enjoy the process, I don't think they get it, either.

No, I agree, I have done it just to see, and they kept eating the foam and leaning into the razor- not cruel at all, just not for me.
default_smile.png

default_smile.png

I understood what you were saying, just remember how others will act like we pour tabasco on them and then sand paper the hair off.

I used baby shampoo all lathered up and lady (moisture strip) razors when I did it. It reminded me of playing dress up or in my mom's make up when I first started to experiment with it
default_smile.png

Thanks, guys. I've been "balding" my regular horses for years and we just called it trimming. *g* If I'm showing in showmanship that day, then I get out the razor. If I'm just showing eq and pleasure, then clipping is close enough. I just wanted to make sure I understood the controversy...and that people weren't using a razor on the entire head. Now that, to me, would look just as awful as a horse with no eyelashes.

Latest posts

Back