shaving muzzles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bumping this for you Dali it's a touchy subject for some and l know you want to learn all you can on how to present your horse in the best light. Just keep asking someone will respond sooner or later.
default_yes.gif
:

As Relic stated this is a very touchy subject as many of us do not approve of shaving but someone else may help you.

Thank you for your opinions. I guess I should have stated my question differently. I don't want to shave them as in there being no hair left. It's just that they look kind of odd with their coats all clipped and slick and then whiskers and such out to Timbucktu. I meant how do you make their muzzles blend with the rest of thier body?

I normally just use a #10 blade and clip the muzzle like the rest of the horse. I know that some here bald the nose with a razor, but mine get sunburned too easy (pink skin).

Yeah, if you didn't mean balding, then simply clipping with the blade you use on the bodies would eliminate the whiskers problem. The number of blade I use depends on the horse. (Color, skin color, etc) I either use the same blade as the body, or I use a 15, or sometimes even a 30 on the muzzle, and over the eyes.

I love to clip my muzzles short. Doesn't hurt the horses in the least. I even asked my vet about it and he says no, they grow back pretty quickly even so.

If I don't use the razor, what I do is I often will clip with at least a #30 blade (clips close but leaves a fine layer of fuzz on the muzzle).

A #50 is my preference next to #40, though, on the ones I don't razor (bald).

Please do keep them out of the direct sun for a couple days while the hair grows in.

What I do is run the blades backwards along the edge where I want to blend. If I clip w/a ten, then I go to a fifteen, and then to the thirty on down to the fifty to blend it all. I really enjoy doing this and my horses have not suffered because of it, I would not continue doing something that obviously hurt them.

I like the way it looks, too.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

lhweb.jpg

This mare was clipped (head only) w/a #15, and then blended down to a #50.

I did not bald her, and all she has on is a bit of baby oil to highlight the clipped areas.

You tell me if it looks cruel or unattractive?

Liz

I love to clip my muzzles short. Doesn't hurt the horses in the least. I even asked my vet about it and he says no, they grow back pretty quickly even so.

If I don't use the razor, what I do is I often will clip with at least a #30 blade (clips close but leaves a fine layer of fuzz on the muzzle).

A #50 is my preference next to #40, though, on the ones I don't razor (bald).

Please do keep them out of the direct sun for a couple days while the hair grows in.

What I do is run the blades backwards along the edge where I want to blend. If I clip w/a ten, then I go to a fifteen, and then to the thirty on down to the fifty to blend it all. I really enjoy doing this and my horses have not suffered because of it, I would not continue doing something that obviously hurt them.

I like the way it looks, too.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

lhweb.jpg

This mare was clipped (head only) w/a #15, and then blended down to a #50.

I did not bald her, and all she has on is a bit of baby oil to highlight the clipped areas.

You tell me if it looks cruel or unattractive?

Liz
Oh, I think she looks fantastic! Yesterday I clipped one of my stallions face with a 10, because I couldn't find any of my other blades
default_wacko.png
: It just didn't look good. I dont think I have a 15, but I do have a 40......somewhere! I'll get a 15 and try that but I doubt mine will look as good as yours! Are you close to Texas? :bgrin

Also, will it matter if he is a sorrel pinto with pink skin using a 40 on his muzzle?

Lori

It does matter the color of the horse. With a white horse w/dark skin, you really need to have a good skill at blending.

With your horse, you will want to clip very close over the dark skinned part of the horse's muzzle (clip the sorrel color off) and the pink, I would leave a light layer of fuzz over that, but probably a #40 would be plenty, there.

It depends on the horse's head shape, too. Lailah has a very pretty head with a nice shape and so the close shaving accentuates that. I have had horses that I don't clip that way, either, and I think Lailah looks fine here w/the amount of shaving and not any razoring in this case though sometimes I do razor and let it grow back to get yet another effect.

It's all in your own decision, but if you are doubtful of your skill and fearful you will hurt them, stick with a #50 blade on your Double Ks.
default_smile.png

Use lots of shaving cream w/vitamin e and wash it off afterward and use a light skin conditioner to remoisturize if necessary and keep them out of the elements while it grows back in.

Liz

Latest posts

Back