Shaving 1 month old colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimom1

Reaction score
Hello

We live in Alberta, Canada and I have a one month old colt that is too hot during the day.

He does have shade and a shelter but is getting very listless in the heat.

I was thinking about shaving him but being that it is almost mid august I am not sure I should.

Will his coat grow back for winter if I clip him this late ? He is in a stall in an enclosed barn every night with his momma. Would you shave him ?

I have never shaved a foal, just my older girls but they got shaved in June.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Sorry I cant help you as I'm in the UK and we dont have the extremees of weather that you seem to be experiencing this year - thankfully! But we did have some very hot weather (for us) earlier this year and I was worried about my young foals during the day time heat. I reversed their normal routine and put them and their dams out in the cool of the night and had them in the barn stables in the day. Yes the stables were warm but at least the young foals were out of the danger of the strong sun's rays.

I do feel that foal's coats offer some protection against the harmful rays of the sun and would worry about 'sunburn' on a newly clipped little body. But in extremes of heat what is one supposed to do? I think it depends upon personal choice and also on your facilities - shelter/shade etc.

Sorry not to have been more help!

Anna

Well, here in Manitoba—yes, I would clip him if the heat is bothering him now.

However, I wouldn’t actually shave him, as in giving him an against-the-hair clip job. I would clip him with the hair—it takes off all the excess baby fuzz and makes him a lot cooler and more comfortable, but it still leaves him some hair to protect against the sun and the bugs.

Here winter coats are just starting to grow in (horses have been shedding for a week or 10 days now) and I’m quite sure that your baby will still grow a good winter coat if you give him a rough clip now.

I agree with Minimor, using a #10 blade.

There is nothing that says you have to shave or clip the whole body either. I often will clip just the necks and chests and along the sides (like a trace clip)and perhaps the belly, and leave long or longish hair elsewhere. It is what I call a "comfort" clip. I have also done what Minimor suggested. Remember it is like any hair cut - it is easier to start with small changes and you can clip off more later! I would even use an 8 1/2 blade if you have one.

There is nothing that says you have to shave or clip the whole body either. I often will clip just the necks and chests and along the sides (like a trace clip)and perhaps the belly, and leave long or longish hair elsewhere. It is what I call a "comfort" clip. I have also done what Minimor suggested. Remember it is like any hair cut - it is easier to start with small changes and you can clip off more later! I would even use an 8 1/2 blade if you have one.
I agree. I will leave the hair down the back and down the sides. that way he will not sunburn, and if it does rain on him, he has the protection of a natural coat where it counts the most. You can also get the plastic "length guides" for horse clippers like the ones for dogs and people. That way you can just clip away without worrying about taking too much off. My favourite guides leave 1/4, and 1/2 inch of coat on the foals.

Thank you all very much for your replies
biggrin.gif

I will try to only take a minimal amount off him.

Big horse people do something called a "trace clip". I find those work well with my minis when I want some hair for protection but want them to be cooler at the same time. I always do trace clips with the direction of the hair to leave some base. Right now my guys are shedding summer hair like crazy and it is 90 degrees outside. After this past crazy snow winter I don't want to think about colder weather coming yet.
sad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back