Share Your Before/After Clipping Pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing everyone's pictures is getting me eager to clip mine!!! I have a show April 1st so I was thinking I would just wait until the show....

Seeing everyone's pictures is getting me eager to clip mine!!! I have a show April 1st so I was thinking I would just wait until the show....
I would consider clipping this upcoming weekend, so you have time to adjust any clipping problems and take care of clipper tracks and whatever you might find after you clip off winter woolies. And, give a little time for color to come back in, seems it always takes a little time to get rid of that mousy color they get after clipping.

I like to clip at least a month before the first show so that, like chandab said, they have time to get color back, you can tell condition better to see what you need to work on, if they have any bites or skin issues due to the thick winter hair, stuff like that. It also makes it 100x easier to do a good show clip if you can bathe them better for the show clip.

Hmm, people at the barn just told me to wait. I thought the same thing as you guys, that it would give me time to adjust anything! I think I will clip this weekend! Thank you!

What color is your mini? Are the others at the barn mini owners or full-size horse owners? [Full-size horses aren't typically clipped to the extent that minis are, depending on breed and discipline, as they don't typically have as much hair. I know Arabians are clipped similar to minis, but stock horses typically just get a clean up job (bridle path, face and feathers).]

He's the mini in my profile picture, chestnut with flaxen mane and tail. Everyone else has ponies/mini's, there are "regular" sized horses at the barn as well but they are never there. When I showed a black horse I always clipped early to allow for his color to grow back a little bit and so I could treat the hair to get it back to being shinier. I don't worry about so much of a huge color change with the chestnuts (unless they are dark). My guy will be orange before and after I clip him. He's like a PUMPKIN!!

I dont show at all, but sometimes when we come into summer the days get hot quite quickly and the horses haven't dropped their coats at all. So of an afternoon when I went to spend time with them, all under their necks, belly, legs, tail ect. were so sweaty. Willow and Kevin are the worst for it. And I only like wetting them down/bathing them in mid morning or mid day, not late afternoon.

So I decided that I'd clip them, The nights were pretty hot too.

These were from last year in October. That was the last clip I did, besides when Willow wasn't well, and a suggest was to give her a light clip in case she was just overheated.

It was Kevin's first clip in his life, and he was almost the best one to clip, after he got used to the clippers he just stood for me.

xngr46.jpg

Halfway

2i2ab8k.jpg

I lost the last photo of him fully clipped when my old phone crashed, got a new one thankfully. But this is all I have of him after.

1z1vjiw.jpg

Well my pictures did not turn out great, its hard to take pictures when your by yourself haha!

Here is Before:

Here is After:

I wish I had some help so I could see what he looks like all set up with his neck stretched. He's got that unfortunate band of white around his throat latch which makes it look super fat!

I clipped Dapper Dan this morning as our nights are in the 50's now. No fungus! He looks so much better. I forgot to take the camera out, though. I'll have to send my blades off to be sharpened before doing the other horse. Tomorrow we're giving cart rides for Headstart, so I wanted to tidy him up.

Back