Share Your Before/After Clipping Pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Reaction score
As clipping season starts (for some), I thought this would be a fun post! I love before and after clipping pictures! I'm 90% done clipping my minis, just their legs left. Share your before/after pics from this year or past years!

This is my gelding. Ignore the horrible pictures, my picture taking skills are definitely not anything to brag about! The second pic was taken at a super awkward angle so I had to crop his butt out. 11acce86-17f0-47c4-9898-48b9d6df9031.png

Before

received_853874228068368.jpeg

After.

My mare is almost done clipping too, finished her face today. Didn't take any pics. I will have to tomorrow. She's an even bigger transformation than my boy here! Let me just say, that girl can grow a coat. Lol.

Can't wait to see more clipping pics. It's my fave time of year!! That's a very handsome guy you've got there Yankee. I love the white right over his shoulder

Do most of you clip with or against the grain? What blade length do you use? I've clipped my minis for the last 5 years (with the exception of last year...) and used a 7F or a 9 with the grain. But looking at pictures here it looks like maybe most clip against the grain. Do you ever have to worry about sunburn on pintos or other horses with lots of white? I think I'd get better definition of Major's pattern clipping against the grain.

I clipped! I have no pictures though. I blanket clipped so I have legs and necks left to do. My black mini came out a very shiney silver and I can see his black undercoat, so hopefully he will darken. I am sad he is no longer black.

MajorClemintine, I clip against the grain and with a 10 blade. That always seems to work for me.

Any tips out there for clipping faces? I hate to do faces and I usually clip to where the cheek price of the bridle would lie and then blend as best I can and hope Mother Nature deals with the rest. But this year I need to do the mini's face entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the compliments on my boy!

MajorClementine, for the body I use a Clipmaster clipper that seems to be able to adjust to any size blade. I probably use about a 10 blade for the body, against the grain. I dial it down to about a 30 for the face. Sometimes I clip against the grain on the face and sometimes I clip with the grain for blending.

Cayuse, face clipping is really hard! Especially the sculpting. Just don't clip like the day before a show so incase you make any marks they can grow out. I hate clipping their faces so much, I think I'm going to pay somebody to clip my mare's face at Worlds! Lol.

I normally let everyone shed out as we do not show much anymore, but I have a few with sensitive skin who benefit from a good bath and spring clip. I couldn't resist leaving Spankie's feathers, he looks like a mini clydesdale. It's certainly not a show clip, but he feels better. I broke out the old oster cow clippers and finished the face with A5's. 2016-03-10 17.41.35.jpg2016-03-10 17.42.06.jpg

I normally let everyone shed out as we do not show much anymore, but I have a few with sensitive skin who benefit from a good bath and spring clip. I couldn't resist leaving Spankie's feathers, he looks like a mini clydesdale. It's certainly not a show clip, but he feels better. I broke out the old oster cow clippers and finished the face with A5's. 2016-03-10 17.41.35.jpg 2016-03-10 17.42.06.jpg
How cute! His head reminds me of my mare
default_smile.png

My welsh pony has feathers like that! They do a job on the clipper blades so I save them for last.

Yankee Doodle Dandy, I was thinking about finding someone to clip his face, lol. I don't need it clipped super fancy, just clipped. I should just do it. My first show (if I show this year) is not for six weeks so if I do it now it will grow out. I'm just chicken, don't know why!

Cayuse, if you try, good luck!
default_smile.png
Good luck at all your shows this year, too.

I was out at the barn earlier and I didn't think to get a good picture of my girl, but I did get this so this is *kind of* a before/after. She was pretty furry before ?. And she was curly from a bath. She still needs her legs done, and so does my gelding. They hate their legs done, and I hate doing them so I am procrastinating ?. Anyways, here we go.

received_853019814820476.jpeg

Before

20160310_143307-1.jpg

After

Ignore her little 'pleasant' mare face lol.

On ponies we showed at one or two open shows, we often left the long hair on the legs. BUT we then turned the clippers with the grain and at least trimmed all the hair to roughly the same length. It was just neater.

I'm not finding the pics I thought I had...
default_sad.png

Cayuse, if you try, good luck!
default_smile.png
Good luck at all your shows this year, too.

I was out at the barn earlier and I didn't think to get a good picture of my girl, but I did get this so this is *kind of* a before/after. She was pretty furry before ?. And she was curly from a bath. She still needs her legs done, and so does my gelding. They hate their legs done, and I hate doing them so I am procrastinating ?. Anyways, here we go.

attachicon.gif
received_853019814820476.jpeg

Before

attachicon.gif
20160310_143307-1.jpg

After

Ignore her little 'pleasant' mare face lol.
Thank you! It will be my first year showing the mini. I took him to one show last Fall and it was an adventure :)Your mare is cute! Mare face and all.

Well, I attempted Peanut's face. I flipped the clippers over and went with the grain, so not to get it too short and he cleaned up OK. I will do a little more blending tomorrow.

Do you have to be a member to post pictures?

I normally let everyone shed out as we do not show much anymore, but I have a few with sensitive skin who benefit from a good bath and spring clip. I couldn't resist leaving Spankie's feathers, he looks like a mini clydesdale. It's certainly not a show clip, but he feels better. I broke out the old oster cow clippers and finished the face with A5's.
attachicon.gif
2016-03-10 17.41.35.jpg
attachicon.gif
2016-03-10 17.42.06.jpg
I love that! I want to leave the feathers on Major for the same reason. He looks so great with his clydesdale feathers. You've convinced me to go for it
default_smile.png

I HATE blanketing, so I don't typically clip my minis. Of course, when I was showing them, I did for that. I will clip foals, as they don't want to shed out before it's super hot (I'm in Arizona).

For my driving horses, to help keep them cool, but not need a blanket, I clip the underside of their neck, their belly, and their head (the head is so they look nicer and so the bridle fits better). You can see it on my husband's blue roan gelding.

As it gets warmer, I will sometimes clip ones we are driving if they need it (if it gets too hot, they're working enough they warrant it, esp if it's not cold enough to need a blanket...). I'll often do the clip I mentioned above (which I do with a 7 or 10 against the grain) and do the rest of their body in a longer blade with the grain. Leaves them a little more fluff in case it's cool. But I don't shave legs, as the hair helps protect against the brush etc in the desert where I often drive. You can see this on my chestnut gelding, photo taken at a Combined Driving Event.

Sorry, I know this was for before and after photos, which I can't share because I'm at work. Photobucket is blocked here, all I have access to is the photos on my website. Just wanted to share what I do, since that question of blade length and with or against was brought up
default_smile.png

Oh yeah, I also leave ears, although sometimes I'll clean them up a little. I NEVER shave the inside of the ears, even when I was showing in A and R. I also NEVER razor the face. I think it looks terrible. JMO
default_smile.png
I usually do the muzzle with a 30 when I was showing. Now that I'm not (well, not in A and R shows), I leave the muzzle/whiskers alone. They have a purpose
default_smile.png

midnight.jpg

chili2.jpg

I rarely clip, as I don't show. I've clipped some heads a bit this spring, as the goat beards were starting to mat. I need to clip some belly mats, but don't plan to body clip.

Latest posts

Back