Shammy kicked me! I'm sore

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MInx

Reaction score
Well it was up to 44 here today, went to have taxes done and I said I'd walk out to help worm them as it's been the two months since last time..

They were spooky this morning, due to snow melting and sliding off the roof of the barn..WHOOSH! they would take off running and kicking at each other..Carl brought Shadow in and wormed him and he was out. We have the back door open so they go in and out..Shammy was at back door so I went back there to bring her in and her came Shadow charging at her to play. She was off, so I waited and got a peppermint treat and she followed me right in..

there we were both in the stall and i closed her stall gate and he came Shadow running in..She swung around and let fly (at him I'm sure) and got me right in the right thigh..I about went down but just got mad and put a halter on her for more leverage and she was very good about taking her wormer..she was still acting tense and flighty so I just held her there to settle down, removed her halter and stepped quickly out and she was off!

I think they are sure it's Spring poor things..stuff melting and warm..they played all day and the constant melting sliding snow kept them hyped up,,good for them to learn, it's OK..They should already know that!

I hobbled back to the house and collapsed in the recliner. I'm so padded
default_biggrin.png
I know my leg is fine but I do worry about a hematoma and blood clot as that's my nemesis.

I will watch it, it's too sore to touch tight now and am headed to shower for comfort.

Glad it wasn't Carl, would have probably broken his skinny leg
default_biggrin.png

SO how as your day eh?

Maxine

Maxine sorry Shammy kicked you, that does hurt!!

Just relax and hopefully it will be fine although probably pretty ugly as it bruises!! LOL

My Giddy did that to me accidentally one day when i was trotting him and he kinda swerved into me and kicked my knee, it hurt so bad and turned so purple/black/green!!

Here on Sunday it was 60 and my Giddy was running fullspeed into the run in and back out while bucking! its a funny site to see but I do think they have spring fever as much as we do...

Awww im sure she didnt mean it. Roy did the same thing to me only we did a jump and he got excited and swung around and let one fly. Should have seen his face when he knew he hit me
default_rolleyes.gif
. He was sorry i could tell poor boy, could tell he didnt mean it so I just gave him a hug and said watch your feet. He's a silly boy.

Hopefully spring is soon, sick of all the wetness
default_biggrin.png

Hope your leg feels better soon.

OW!! Make sure you get some ice on that. Your post gave me flash backs to October when my inlaws were down. My Mother in law got kicked by accident. One little mare went to kick at another. Her target got out of the way leaving my poor mother in law to take the blow. My husband got mad at me for not getting her out of the way. I'm not certain what he wanted me to do. I certainly wasn't going to tackle the poor woman to the ground.

Perhaps I should have though because her thigh turned black. I felt really bad. I feel bad for you too. Keep the ice on it and keep it elevated.

Hope it feels better soon.

I'm sure she wasn't aiming for you, BUT I know if it had happened to me, my reflex would be to let her have it. Not sure if that's right or wrong, but it's just what I know I'd do. I'm not sure if "correction" would make her think in the future to be sure no person is within range of being kicked.

Ouch! I am sorry you got nailed!

I have never been kicked. EVER. I taught my two that if they rough house they do it when I am outside their pen. If they get going when I am in there they get a swat and yelled at. To tell the truth they don't do it often. I teach them this so that if I bring strangers in, I don't have to guard them or watch where my pony rumps are. I don't care if they hurt me by accident or on purpose or how they hurt me, they learn quick that that behaviour is not tolerated in my presence. Somehow they know now, stand still and behave and mommy MAY give them a treat
default_smile.png

Thanks all, I'm sure it's fine..sore as heck, burns and aches and I woke me up if I turned on that side last night in bed..but after thinking about I know she wasn't aiming at me at all..she was psyched about the rush of the snow off the roof and Shadow was doing the same thing, I just was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

When it happened I did correct here and grabbed her forelock and gave it a jerk and a loud NO SHAMMY! She immediately did calm down and was great about taking her wormer..

I guess like old pilots say..got complacent! That kills a lot of private pilots. And when working around live animals one needs to be alert all the time and careful..(my husband is was a private pilot for a long time.)

I didn't and wasn't , simple as that..I am so spoiled by Shammy and her good sense, quiet nature and kindness I guess this mishap just took me by surprise and shocked me..

By Spring she and I will be back out driving on the trails and it's all good.
default_biggrin.png

After all I'm the human and supposed to be the smart one.

Maxine

Last edited by a moderator:
My Missy kicked me about a month ago. I was checking her udder because I was weaning her colt. She kicked forward and caught me just below the knee. It swelled up and I had a knot about the size if a soft ball. Now a month later it is about the size of a golf ball and seems to be going away. I hope yours isn't knotted up like mine.

Awe, I hope you are feeling better soon! Can't wait to see your postings of your trail drives soon! I look forward to them!
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

Oh gee whiz Miss Maxi!

Get thee to the couch and cover with a nice throw, add some hot tea with lemon and take asprin!

Latest posts

Back