Seramune Equine IgG

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckNappy

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Seramune Equine IgG?If so do you use half bottle or full bottle?The label says give half bottle orally and then the rest an hour or two later.With mini foals being so much smaller Im wondering if a smaller dose should be given,maybe half of the bottle?.Anyone who has had good or bad experience using this seramune please post your experience.

Hey
default_smile.png

I haven't used it yet but will be this year to the newborn foals. It's sitting in the fridge right now.

What I was told is that a mini foal should have 1/4 the bottle or 75ML and to split that into two roughly equal doses about an hour or two appart w/in the first 12 hours of life.

It really sounds like a great product. I was very excited when I heard about it.

Good luck,

Jill

Our vet used this product to tube our filly whose IgG test was not good. He used 3/4 of the bottle for her.......but maybe that was because he test was so poor. She's doing great now and is 2 weeks old.

Pam C.

A half bottle certainly won't hurt anything.........but we've given a 1/4 bottle here......... A full bottle is considered one full dose for a full sized horse newborn.

I did talk to my wonderful vet and she said to use 30 ml twice at 4 hour intervals then check IgG to make sure its enough. If you give to much and the foal doesn't need it, they could have a reaction to it. So she told me to start out with less, but this is because my mare is about 28" and she is bred to a 31" stallion who sires very small, refined babies. For larger babies, of course you would need a bit more. But she did warn against giving to much.

That said, my bottle is in the fridge where my mare is being foaled out. Just in case.

Karen

I used it on a foal that was born lastnight at 4:30 am.I used 3/4 bottle(half bottle 1 hour after he was born and then 1/4 bottle 2 hours later).I was not sure if baby was getting anything from mom because when I would try to milk her I didnt get much of anything which worried me so I went ahead and gave the serum.At first the baby laid around for awhile which worried me,I thought Oh no what did I do!? Like most new moms I think I was just a bit nervous and watching over a little 'to closely' I see that he is now eating fine,Thank Goodness!
default_aktion033.gif
I will keep a bottle of serum on hand,it certainly didnt hurt.

I have a bottle waiting in the fridge just in case. Wish I had had it last year! My vet said to proportion the dosage estimating a 20lb foal vs. a 100lb foal. Doing the math, Karens recommendations are right on: two doses at 30cc each.

Hi,

I'm wanting to know how long after you open the bottle how good is the bottle sitting in the fridge. I've been told one bottle will do 3 mini foals...... Will the bottle be good sitting in the fridge for 2-3 months with my foals being some what apart and only expecting 3 foals...... ?

Hi,

I'm wanting to know how long after you open the bottle how good is the bottle sitting in the fridge. I've been told one bottle will do 3 mini foals...... Will the bottle be good sitting in the fridge for 2-3 months with my foals being some what apart and only expecting 3 foals...... ?
I read on a website that sells it, that it can be stored opened in the fridge for up to 3 years. I guess it would depend on the expiry date stampen on the product??

Now I also have a question...if I am understanding this correctly, this can take the place totally of colostrum? So if you had this on hand, you would not need to keep frozen colostrum from year to year?

Where do you get this product? And I have the same question as Mona - does this replace colustrom?

Stacy

Last foaling season, I had a maiden mare that would not let her filly nurse. The mare was also unwilling to let me milk her. I called the vet and he gave me this to give to the filly. I was able to get a little collostrum from the mare and give it to the foal, but it was not enough and time was running out. And this I believe saved my filly
default_smile.png
You can get it from your vet or I did see that Valley vet has it also. Here is the link:

Seramune Equine IgG

This is what information I found on it.

Statistics show that the #1 cause of death in newborn foals is septicemia, or bacteria entering the body. The foal has trouble finding its mother’s milk glands and takes in a significant number of pathogens along the way. A foal’s survival is riding on the care it receives in the first few hours after birth. Protect your foals against a broad spectrum of pathogenic agents.

Sera Inc. brings you Oral and I.V. Seramune, which contain more immunoglobulins per dose than any other licensed IgG on the market today. The Oral and I.V. formulas provide instant, reliable protection against FPT and give foals enough immunoglobulins needed for protection in those first few weeks of life.

Oral and I.V. Seramune Equine facts:

• Provide safe, reliable, instant protection

• Drawn from a closed herd of donor gelding draft horses that test negative for RBC A&Q antibodies

• Gamma irradiated to inactivate all potentially

contaminating microorganisms

• Cost-effective alternatives to plasma treatments of the past

• Conveniently available in liquid form

• Boast a refrigerated shelf-life of 3 years

• Proven effective in more than 70,000 cases

I bought mine from Valley Vet. some places required a prescription, some don't.

i was doing a search and found this study interesting to read for sure. I think the conclusion is that it didnt raise levels as much as one would think?

seramune study

Kay,

I had seen that before I ordered it, but that report is 10 years old. I'm thinking the product may have improved, or something? They sure make bold claims that are hard to misunderstand on their product site. Bottom line is that to me it sounds like something that can only improve a foal's immunity levels and not do harm
default_yes.gif

Jill

I ordered mine from ValleyVEt supply,I believe it was right around $85.This should be shipped overnight as it needs to stay cool just as the vaccines do.I was not sure if you could keep the serum once it was opened so I threw out what was left.I will have to speak with my veterinarian about that.Here is the info that is on the label as well as what Valley Vet has to say about this product...SERAMUNE® ORAL

Sera

For Failure of Passive Transfer in Neonatal Foals

Bottle contains one dose of 300ml.

Dose: Administer orally in two even amounts (150 mL each) 1-2 hours apart, within first 12 hours of life.

Protect from direct sunlight. Store refrigerated at 2°-7°C/36°-45°F. Do not freeze. Once opened, use entire contents as directed above.

Equine serum origin.

For use by or under the direction of a veterinarian.

Indications: For the treatment of failure of passive transfer in neonatal foals.

Caution: As with any serum product, adverse reactions may occur. In case of reactions, stop treatment and administer epinephrine

A foal’s survival is riding on the care it receives the first few hours after birth. Normally, the foal receives protection from its mother’s first milk or colostrum. Unfortunately, some foals do not or cannot nurse, and therefore become immunodeficient. Made from equine serum, Seramune provides instant, reliable protection and gives foals enough IgG for protection in those first few weeks of life. Administer orally in two even amounts (150 ml each) 1-2 hours apart, within the first 12 hours of life.

does not increase plasma IgG concentrations

to the desired target of 800 mg/dl, but it may help to minimize neonatal infections

Thats an exceprt from the study. I guess the study found it did not raise them to 800 but foals that recieived it didnt get as sick as foals without it. But it says too that also could have been because they were kept in very clean situations

There was another study but I couldnt open it

I would think this couldnt hurt but in the case of a documented failure to transfer plasma would probably be better?

I'm wondering what effect or interference (if any) this has on maternal antibodies if given to a foal that doesn't need it? Just curious as it sounds like some are giving it to every foal whether they have been tested to need it or not.

I do think there are plenty giving it before testing and when I called and talked to their customer service, I was told it is excellent insurance.

Plus, I do not think the IgG test will work prior to 12 hours, and this oral Seramune has to be given w/in the first 12 hours. Also, vets are prescribing it (oral / iv) so it seems like if the 1998 study was important or still valid, it wouldn't be saving foals and prescribed by vets (?) who have much more field experience and information than the average owner... I for one am happy to have this in my fridge, and would anticipate having it every year
default_yes.gif

Becky -- When I called Seramune, my specific question was "is it okay to give even if you don't suspect a problem" and was told "absolutely" and many give it right when the foal hits the ground. So, I ordered it when I got off the phone with them.

Latest posts

Back