Sending Wet Mares Out For Breeding...your experiences

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

Anyone ever sent a mare with a foal at side out for breeding? What was the impact to the foal? How did you feel about them being away with likely no access to halter training, being socialized daily, etc?

I sent a wet mare away several years ago without any problems. But it was also my first foal, so I don't know that I knew all the questions to ask or even thought about the impact to the foal before I did it. Fortunately, it turned out fine and the foal got some socialization at the stallion farm and all was well. But I think in most cases, where the farm is large and the mare is just there for breeding (not paying for additional services like training for the foal), I'm thinking the foal will be cared for, but not get the daily loving on like he/she would at home.

Thoughts?

Also, if you are of the mind that you'd never send a wet mare out, please state why. Thanks!!!

There are no wrong opinions...all are welcomed!

Taking on a mare with foal at side is a scarey thing for most breeders - or should be! Not saying that I haven't done it, I certainly have, but I can tell you that every moment that the mare and foal are at my place I am worrying about the baby and the mare - what if something should happen!?!?!? Face it, stuff does happen, thru no fault of anyone, but it is excruciating to have it happen to you, just as it is excruciating to be the owner and not be able to be there yourself.

The best that I can offer is to treat the outside mare & foal just as I treat my own, get the same kind of loving, and safe handling that I give my own foals -- for some folks it might not be enough because I personally don't "overhandle" my foals - they are all very emotionally stable babies and know that humans aren't going to hurt them (might restrict them for foot trims, shots, etc, but not hurt them) but that doesn't mean that they are totally bomb-proof, halter-broke babies when they leave my place. It does mean that they have had a good, safe start and are willing to learn and not afraid. Sometimes I wish I had a separate paddock for an outside mare and foal, but then I feel like the babies need to have friends to play with and it is so good for them to socialize with other horses and learn herd manners, so it is a Catch 22. There is really no better feeling than watching the babies all play together, making "best friends" and racing and tearing around in their own little herd and then falling asleep in a big pile of foals - for me, that is what it is all about.

But - - - like I said, it is terrifying to have the responsibility of caring for another person's horse - let alone mare with foal at side. Go forward cautiously, be open minded, empathetic, and understand that some things are out of the control of the caregiver.

Getting a "wet mare" to settle away from home is a whole other post -- that can be a challenge in itself and frequently doesn't happen, so keep that in mind when looking for the perfect stallion to send you mare to! Personally speaking, I wouldn't send a mare away from home with a foal at side and expect her to settle, but that is because I just haven't had much luck with it - I would rather wait and wean the foal, and even then it might take longer than you want it to for her to settle in enough to conceive.

Thank you Stacy for your thoughtful and honest answer. You bring up a point that I hadn't even considered...the difficulty of getting a wet mare in foal at a strange place. I guess I was spoiled with Raven getting in foal on her very first heat with Velvet...but she didn't have a foal to also be worried about. Raven has lived her entire life "on the road" it seems. She's been with a trainer 6 months+ out of her yearling, two year old and three year old years. Then while at home with me for her 4th year I moved and so did the horses. Then she traveled to NC in May of 2011, then went to SC in July to foal out at Heather's place. Now she's schedule to trave another several hundred miles to visit another stallion. I guess I feel like she can handle it as it's all she's known and anyone who's met her will tell you there isn't another mini with a personality (stable, loving, fearless, bomb-proof) like her. But when I made these plans I wasn't thinking about what was best for Lil Bit. Now I'm starting to wonder.

I am thrilled with the stallion she was accepted to and feel like it's a once in a lifetime opportunity...but maybe that opportunity would still be open next year, maybe not.

I guess I need to speak more with the stallion owner (not a member of this board) and she what their thoughts are and if they are truly up to having a wet mare to be responsible for and what the situation would be like for Lil Bit.

Thanks again Stacy! Your years of experience is always so insightful!

I have nowhere near the experience of someone like Stacy, but I do know I would not consider sending out a wet mare to be bred. I had enough trouble sending out dry mares to be bred: sent 2 mare out in 2006 to different farms and only one mare settled (confirmed by US). She ended up having a "false" pregnancy, meaning she had an early abortion. We suspect (but can't know for sure) that she might have aborted from the long trip back home so early in her pregnancy. Something else to consider.

And what if your mare is an "every other year breeder"?? After Max was born, Mira came back into heat on her foal heat, was not bred then, and never came back into heat again while she was nursing.

Now, to put this in context, I would also never send a horse out to a trainer, because I like having them in my backyard where I can enjoy them. So keep that in mind as you read my response! But I sure enjoyed it when you foaled out Toffee for us in 2010!!!

I did take a mare on here for breeding with her colt at her side. However, I wasn't smart enough to ask for some of the people's hay instead of feeding mine. The foal wanted to eat just like Mom and coliced ( I think it may have been the hay). Anyway I came out to check on them and found that the foal had rolled under my fence (clearance of only 6 or 8") and was on the outside of the fence. We brought him back in and tried to get him to nurse but coudn't get him to stay on his feet. We ended up at the vet at the request of the owner. She ended up with a big vet bill and never did get the mare bred.

Thank you for the additional responses.

Mary, you bring up a great point. I have NO idea what Raven's breeding (cycling) pattern is going to be since this is her first foal. Definately something to think about.

I would, of course, feel horrible if something happened to a mare or her foal while away. I would also feel horrible if anything happened at my own farm. I normally would not insure such a young foal, but because I knew from day one it was a possibility that he, and his dam, would be sent to another farm so she could be bred, I did chose to get insurance on this one. I do see where the risks of an issue are increased simply due to the travel if nothing else. Of course Raven is still insured as well. I think it just makes good financial sense to have a horse insured that I know I would spend all the $$$ I had to "fix" should something catastrophic happen. I may never use it, but (knock on wood this never happens) one colic surgery and I'd be very glad I had the insurance.

Back