Sellers advice to a buyer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkermini

Reaction score
No offense to the "buyers advice to a seller" topic, as I have been, and continue to be, both a buyer and seller, and agree with alot of the advice to sellers in that topic. But thought it may be helpful to have a similar topic with advice to buyers, so here goes....

Decide how important the location of the horse is, and dont inquire on horses that are too far. I have had someone email me several times about a horse, then after all my time and effort, they say that Im too far from them...well they knew when they first inquired how far I was.

Dont expect a seller to hold a horse without a deposit. I have held many horses for buyers that have swore up and down they were getting the horse ("Its for my daughters birthday so I'll definately be getting it". "I've been looking forever for this (color, bloodline, etc) so I definately want it") etc. and then they drop off the face of the Earth.

And that kind of goes along with this one-dont commit to buy the horse if your not serious! I'd much rather someone say they will think about it, than say they will definately get the horse, they will come this day to get it, etc, never to hear from them again.

If you are going to look at a horse, and change your mind or cant make it, call the seller and let them know your not coming. I personally am stuck in the house waiting for the potential buyer to show up, as I dont have cell service here and need to be by the phone if the buyer gets lost and needs directions. Wastes a perfectly good afternoon that way....

Feel free to add, Im sure there are more Im not thinking of right now!

If you are going to look at a horse, and change your mind or cant make it, call the seller and let them know your not coming. I personally am stuck in the house waiting for the potential buyer to show up, as I dont have cell service here and need to be by the phone if the buyer gets lost and needs directions. Wastes a perfectly good afternoon that way....
Feel free to add, Im sure there are more Im not thinking of right now!
to add to that, please call if you are going to stop by so you don't catch us on the way out and think we are being rude. I will gladly spend an afternoon talking about minis regardless of someone buying one or just wanting to know more about them, as long as I don't have prior commitments.

Do not stand there and start picking the horse to pieces, and remark about all the things you might feel you dont like to the seller, thinking that you will talk them into giving you the horse at MUCH less money- especially if 'all those things' are wrong with it. Shoot, you were lucky these folks showed up, pointed all that out, and are still willing to take the horse off your hands! I better sell it to them for half price cause surely no one else will want it!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can only buy a horse on payments, then state that up front, and have reasonable expectations about what your payments should be. Many sellers give discounts for cash paid in full, and I have had buyers insinuate that when negotiating a price only to then tell me that they will need to make payments on that price. Earlier this year, I had someone that wanted to pay less than $100/month, and while I try to help buyers in any way possible, I had to wonder if they couldn't afford the horse's buying price if they could afford regular care, not to mention that ongoing care of that horse would have costed more than they were ultimately willing to pay per month.

And on the topic of negotiating a good price...Have your references ready. I will bend over backwards to get my horses into a good home, and good references are the first thing I like to see.

If you are inquiring via e-mail about a horse, please be willing to share a tad of information about yourself

in your follow up letters...

Sometimes all I want to know about a potentil buyer is what state are you in?

This way I can have some indication as to where the inquiry is comming from.
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't tell a seller 'the check is in the mail', when it isn't! I've spent hours on the phone with you, sending you multiple pictures by email, clipping the horse and taking more pictures (even having someone come and help take pictures) negotiated prices, changed my plans for a day to deal with you. Only to have you lie about the check going in the mail. If you are not serious and ready to buy, don't ask a seller to jump through hoops for you.

I don't expect every inquiry to result in a sale for sure, but don't tell a seller you are buying the horse(s) and the money is on the way when it isn't.

my pet peeve is people who inquire on so many horses at once that they cant keep them straight. I had one not to long ago that I spent so much time answering questions and then disappeared. A couple weeks later they started asking all the same questions again as they forgot they had already talked to me LOL.

And I always warn anyone buying a horse that a horse is not sold until the payment is made. I usually outline in the contract the date the money has to be here and after that I am again accepting inquires (usually 3 days) Its murphys law that every time I sell a horse - while Im waiting for the payment I get 2 more serious buyers.

All good points so far. This was mentioned in the other thread, but please if I spend my time sending you multiple photos, please acknowlege that you received them. Just a simple, thankyou the pictures came thru fine, is all that is needed.

1. when a potential buyer asks for information or more pictures, the potential buyer should atleast respond with some sort of email. A simple thank you for the information or pictures is enough and kind of lets seller know that you recieved it but not interested.

2. If you are not going to come out as planned , have the common courtesy to call or at very least email so I don't waste a day waiting for you. My time is precious also.

3. I NOW ask "have you seen my web site sale page?" I ALWAYS post prices....When prices are posted on a sale page, don't talk to me for an HOUR.... THEN ask me how much, and when I tell you, don't tell me that you wanted to only spend $200.00 or get a freebie.

4. Please don't tell me you want to come by to see a horse for sale, then use me as a petting zoo on a weekend, for your 4 kids and neighbor's brood too. Can I tell you how many "sunday afternoon Daddys" have done this to me too?

5. The potential buyer should actually have a plan in action. Please don't lead me on and then tell me it will take a year or so to get zoning, then build a barn and fencing. Call me after it is done then come look. I can't hold horses for a year, for petes sake!

I recently spoke with a really good breeder of Great Danes. I was looking for a puppy from HIM specifically. He is an animal person first and foremost. He basically told me that he was interviewing me first and if he approved,THEN I could make an appointment to see his puppies. That day I learned that "I" should be the one to start by asking questions first..and maybe I won't be wasting so much time and effort on people that really have no true interest in buying a horse.

I guess that I have been stung a lot this year!

Robin

Here's my contribution:

1. Horse traders pass me by......... FAST! I know who you are; you flip horses like pancakes, go away.

Oh I thought of another, which most recently just happened to me the other day-Buyers please read the entire description of the horse! I have had people ask me if a horse is broke, when I clearly said if it was or wasnt, ask the height, when I clearly said the height in the description, etc. I dont mind answering questions, but its annoying when it seems the buyer hasnt read the description whatsoever!

Oh and then I had a lady call me the other day about a horse, and she said " I had alot of questions but I forgot them all!" Its a good idea to spend a few minutes writing down questions before calling or emailing, it will save time for the buyer and seller.

Thank you for this post.

As a buyer I think I follow the guidelines pretty well the ONLY problem I have is the MAJORITY of horses I'm interested in are outside my drive range from MI. Its HARD, but I do. First mini came from TX and I learned my lesson, that is ONE LONG DRIVE. But Dusty came through it with flying colors as a weaner. It was just WAY TOO hard for me I was a nervous wreck when I finally pulled into my driveway. I'm the type that can't have a horse shipped, I have to do it myself.

The times I have sold puppies or Q.H. foals I too check out my buyers first. For the horses I purchase I provide seller with ref, vet, farrier, and pictures of my facilities. I treat people like I want to be treated its worked for me.

My beefs:

Please don't ask if I have a homozygous black and white 30" show mare that's bred to our Champion stallion for $400 and is saddle and cart broke. I don't. I don't think ANY of us do. If you find one, please LMK. I'd like one, too.
default_laugh.png

Also, if you want a child-safe saddle/cart broke gelding for cheap, we don't have that, either. Child safe horses are worth their weight in GOLD. Not $250.

If you call me and say you are coming, please, show up. If not, please call. I really don't have all day to wait for you.

If you DO come and look around, and say you'll think about it/be back, please LMK if you change your mind. You won't hurt my feelings if the horse you want isn't on my farm. It's OK.

If you just want to pet Minis, that's OK, too. But call first, please? I might not have the time for you today.

If you email me about a horse, and I don't respond within two days, please email again. AOL eats emails sometimes!

Lucy

Buyers, Please do your paperwork. Nothing like having a horse trader email or call you because 2 years after you sold a mare in foal they expect you to do the paperwork for them to register said foal to triple their money with. All because the buyer never transfered the mare or did the paperwork on the foal.

I guess I am a good buyer then. I always let someone know when I get the pics. I always let people know when I am comming and if I am going to be late. I do not make an appiontment I can not make. On the appointment note, I must say we did have to take a wait and see approch when we picked up my Ellie. The weather kept interfearing and when we did go we hit ice and spun in circles just west of Truckee, CA going over the pass. But, we still continued on and did the pick up. When I say I am sending funds I put them in the mail at the post office and email the payment was sent. I never just look if I am not looking to buy. I wouldn't want someone to waist my time and I won't waist someone elses time. If I am looking at horses for someone else I let the seller know that. Because in that situation I can only reccomend a horse. So, I let the seller know up front. I do look and drule on the internet and that is why I like to see pictures and prices in the ads.

I have something I havent seen yet either... Maybe others havent had this experience but I have and it wasnt pleasant....

If you see a horse that I have and you like it and you ask if it is for sale and I say no please dont badger me about it -- chances are good I am not going to change my mind -- I may be flattered that you like the horse so much but I hate feeling like you are trying to push me in a corner... I will gladly take your info and if I change my mind down the road I will notify you but generally a no means NO... And you never know -- you may ask about a horse that isnt for sale but that I am considering selling so I may say yes -- so asking once is fine..... but please dont badger the point.....

I will give an example... Last year (maybe 2 years ago- memory isnt working now) a lady came out to see a stallion I had for sale - she had e-mailed me on him and talked to me on the phone about him and wanted him so much -- so she came out and saw him. And while here she saw my white stallion who is not for sale and who probably never will leave my farm and she wanted to buy him. I politely declined the offer and explained he would probably be here for life. She proceeded to ask me probably 20 times in the next 30 minutes if I wouldnt change my mind -- then she got angry that I had not changed my mind and told me that everyone has a price and that she would find out what it was and get back with me... In the next few weeks she e-mailed me and called me multiple times but not about the stallion that was for sale but the one that WASNT... I finally politely but strongly told her that I was afraid I was not going to be able to do business with her.

I am always happy when the people involved are good communicators. I cannot read minds and sometimes, especially with internet only emails, it can be challenging to be clear.

If I am unsure I may suggest we talk on the phone instead.

This year I have had a lot of new buyers in addition to those people that already own minis. It takes a lot more time and information to get them on the right path, but I think the time is well spent.

I am happy to contact the transporters and make those schedules for you and to help you in any way possible.

But like what other people have already mentioned, please treat me like you would like to be treated.

Oh I thought of another, which most recently just happened to me the other day-Buyers please read the entire description of the horse! I have had people ask me if a horse is broke, when I clearly said if it was or wasnt, ask the height, when I clearly said the height in the description, etc. I dont mind answering questions, but its annoying when it seems the buyer hasnt read the description whatsoever!
Oh and then I had a lady call me the other day about a horse, and she said " I had alot of questions but I forgot them all!" Its a good idea to spend a few minutes writing down questions before calling or emailing, it will save time for the buyer and seller.
I totally agree with this one! I had a lady contact me about a colt I had for sale and I told her he was eligible for being A/R reg., his height now and expected mature height, and all of the rest of his information and I sent pictures. She emailed me back and wanted more pictures of him fuzzy and for me to tell her what he was registered with, his height and for what I expected him to mature too. So I had to send the pictures and all the info I already told her again. And after I sent the pictures of his bite, legs, etc. she asked me to "please" send her picturs of his bite, legs, etc.! So all in all my advise is to read the entire description and look through all of the pictures (and make notes if you have to) before you reply to the person.

Also let a seller know if you decide you aren't interested or found a different horse so that they can stop watching for your emails.

Thanks I like this discussion and the one for the sellers too since I also both sell and buy horses.

Latest posts

Back