Seen any good(or bad) movies lately?:)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a movie, it is actually an older tv series I am watching on Netflix. It is Mccleod's Daughters. I absolutely love it, mate. Could pour a cuppa every night and watch a few episodes. It is so therapeutic for me. I have finished all the episodes of House of Cards, Revenge, Scandal, One Tree Hill, Damages, and Bones. For lack of "something" I tried Sons of Anarchy. Could not handle the violence and dope. Not that any of my go tos were anything that promote my beliefs, at least I could separate good from evil with them and decide what I thought justice was even though there was so much lack of it coming to fruition, I could still relate to many of the characters' plights, schemes, and accept the outcomes within the aforementioned. Now Mcleoud's Daughters are always having problems with cattle, sheep, horses, pigs, bunnies, love life, neighbors, friendships, finances yet they weather the storms and celebrate the joys. I can come in from a bad day at work, have horsey related problems, run low on feed, have the well run dry and end of soaking me in freezing weather while I work on it cursing every molecule in the galaxy, worry all night about getting hay, battle snakes, otters, mice, raccoons while living apart from husband, have my surviving parent deal with colon cancer after beating leukemia, have a meth head crazy thieving neighbor that I worry about attacking me during the night, lament a broken USA, and deal with heat, cold, and promoting and protecting my health. After watching Mcleoud's Daughters I always feel like I can cowgirl up and deal with whatever is coming my way.

We just never bother with going to the movies anymore. I do wish more good movies would come out though. I search and search for good movies to watch on tv and usually give up on them after about 20 minutes. I will keep watching this thread in hopes of hearing of everyone's recommendations.

We watched McCloud's daughters for a couple seasons, really liked it; don't recall if we quit cause it was cancelled or no longer get that channel.

We went to "The Monument's Men" last night. I was a little disappointed. It was just "OK", but I really thought it was going to be much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say definitely watch it, but it just wasn't as "fast moving" and interesting as I had hoped. It wasn't horrible...just not as good as I had hoped. I mean...I liked it, just not as much as I had hoped I would. I liked the story, and the actors etc., was just kind of slow moving in holding my interest.

On my list of movies to see are: Dallas Buyers Club, Philomena, 12 Years A Slave(in no particular order). My kids gave me a Netflix 'trial'? subscription back around the end of last year, but it has run out...drawback for me was it being mailed, as my mailbox is a way down the road...not fun to walk there in the snow and cold, but not about to drag my big diesel truck out of a warm garage to drive only that far(not good for the diesel, nor for my 'elderly' batteries in said truck).I may try to reinstate it, or, I may just bite the bullet and get them through my DISH(since there's only a few movies I really WANT to see at any given time.) My daughter and I went to see 'Frozen', and it WAS a cute movie; liked the song, but didn't anticipate the hoopla over it!

Mona, would you believe that 'Lone Survivor' was filmed right here in New Mexico??

I remember watching McClouds Daughters back when it was on. A very enjoyable show that we could use more of. Comedies aren't funny, and there are way too many shows that showcase deranged people. I tried to watch the show about the drug dealing chemistry teacher but didn't make it past episode 3. The drug use hit way too close to home as I have a son who is an abuser no matter how much we have offered to help get him straight. I would rather watch a show about zombies than that trash. I can't wait to see 12 Years a Slave as the man was from my area. His home is a museum that I plan to visit this summer.

Just saw The Conjuring and The Great Gatsby. The Conjuring was an ok scary movie. Not to over the top but good. There is a doll in that movie that is Ugly, yuck! The Great Gatsby, I liked it but it was not what I expected. Some of the dresses the ladies wore were beautiful, the cars were neat, and the story was good. Just not sure about the newer music/modern twist, kinda threw me off alittle. I really like Leonardo DiCaprio(sp?) so I stuck it out and I'm glad I did.

Would I watch either for a second time... no, once was enough.

Well, hip hip hooray! Through happenstance we have watched a movie that we thoroughly enjoyed AND it is a great history lesson plus the leading character is the adorable Sam Elliott.
default_thumbup.gif
default_worshippy.gif
default_xbud.gif
default_yes.gif
default_drool5.gif
default_wink.png
default_aktion033.gif
The movie is GONE TO TEXAS. He plays the part of Sam Houston leading the fight for Texas independence.
default_xreiter.gif
default_xbud.gif
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

We went shopping for me a pistol last weekend and along with that purchased walked out with 5 dvds, all westerns. In light of the junk that Hollywood is turning out this was great.

Husband and I saw Divergent today. We have read two of the books in the series of three. It was pretty good. A little on the order of "Hunger Games". I think we liked "Hunger Games" better tough. Still, glad we saw it.

I recorded,later watched,"Blackfish", recently. I'd heard about it here and there. I was impressed by how evenhanded it seemed to be; was anticipating some PETA rant. Really gives a lot of food for thought; I've been to Sea World in San Antonio; loved the killer whale show, but don't think now that I'd go again. It is fairly compelling watching; I'd recommend watching it and deciding for yourself how you feel about the subject.

watched Hangover 3 last night and laughed so hard I wet my darn pants. I love those movies and this one was better than 2.

We saw Divergent last night and I really liked it. I liked it at least as well as the original Hunger Games, and better than the second part to the Hunger Games.

Oh, and last week we saw "Need For Speed". I really wasn't fussy about going, as it didn't sound very interesting to me, but Chris thought he'd like to go, so we went. The movie was SOOOOO good! I LOVED it. I am so glad we went!!

We saw "Noah" Sunday. I kind of felt it wasn't truly biblical; but it was still a very good movie. And of course Russell Crowe is always marvelous!

Has anyone seen "God's Not Dead" and "There Really is a Heaven"?? I thought by the previews for each, that they would be good movies, especially the latter, HOWEVER, after speaking to at least 5/6 others that went to see it, they gave poor reviews, and when I looked it up online, it had really bad reviews there as well. (number/10 rating system) God's Not Dead had a slightly higher rating, but I have not spoken to anyone that has seen it yet.

If you are a mom you will probably love Moms night out. Frustration, laughter, and tears. I went with my mom, Mom in law, and 3 sisters in law. We laughed and cried. Very good time bonding!

I heard about that movie this week. My husband hates to go to the movies and he would call it a chick flick. Maybe it will eventually be on Netflix.

John Adams is a movie we have watched a couple of times. It was great. I normally don't watch a movie more than once, but this is the sort of movie you want to watch for 4th of July or Memorial Day, sort of like how you always go back to your favorite Christmas movies in December.

Latest posts

Back