Secret Recipe for Blue Roan,please!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramblehill

Reaction score
Okay, I know that technically it's black roan!!....anyway, what combinations of color will in theory produce a blue roan ?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm fairly confused about roan horses. Thanks!

I have a full size who sire i bay and dam is roan and i got a blue roan.

I have a mini who is also blue roan out of a black and a roan.

One must, of course, have one parent be a roan.
default_yes.gif
:

My first blue roan was an appaloosa stallion, and though his foals tended to only be roan about 1/3 to 1/4 of the time, I got a lot of roans, and most of them were blue roans!! :bgrin

There is no "secret recipe" though-- I bought a bay roan mare in foal to a bay roan stallion, so sure that I would be highly likely to get a bay roan, but the sneaky little thing turned out to be straight bay (though with some white hairs on her neck and chest that threw me off for a while, thinking she was roan).

Even buying a "blue roan" can be tricky, since there seem to be a lot of people who label their "black-going-gray" horses as blue roans.

One parent has to be roan, not necessarily blue, you just need that roan gene, but you also need black somewhere in there!

Our blue roan filly is out of a silver dapple roan mare and a black stallion. The two of them also produced another silver dapple roan. This year the same mare was bred to a bay pinto stallion and had a bay roan pinto, though that pairing has resulted in two non-roan foals as well.

I'd say the only way to guarentee a blue roan is to buy one!
default_wink.png
:

THe mare I sold just last fall, was a black roan, and whenever I bred her to my black stallion..she produced a black roan, when I bred her with my sorrel stallion, she produced a blue roan. Dont think they are really any "tricks" on producing a roan, other then you need the roan gene. Corinne

Come to my house! :lol: I have a red roan mare that has produced just about every roan color around! LOL Bred to black/bay she produced blue roan, silver bay roan, bay roan & red roan. This year she produced a bay roan when bred to my appy stallion! She has yet to have a foal that WASNT a roan of some kind!

When I had her blue (black) roan half sister, there were SO many roan foals around here, I thought about changing the farm name to Roans Unlimited! :new_shocked:

Viki

Thanks everybody!!!

I know that a picture's worth a thousand words, but so far I haven't seen how to post pics on the forum, so I'm going to try to describe my little ladies to see if you think thery're roan:

I have a little mare whose winter coat was dark charcoal with medium silver mane/tail. Dark face but the lighter mane/tail don't seem to fit the pattern. When clipped, she had a very light dove colored undercoat with large charcoal spots on her rump- now grown into charcoal with lots of intermingled white hairs.

I also have a mare that when clipped out was a light almost pink color. I think the combination of silver and sorrel makes her look pinkish mauve when newly clipped. She also clipped out to have appy looking spots which almost are all gone when her hair grows out. (She also has a mustache, wide blaze, and a big sorrel spot on one leg) I'm not sure what color she is but looks like a little haflinger in the winter!!!

Thanks for taking time to read all this. Do these sound like roan characteristics to you??

Thanks everybody!!!

I know that a picture's worth a thousand words, but so far I haven't seen how to post pics on the forum, so I'm going to try to describe my little ladies to see if you think thery're roan:

I have a little mare whose winter coat was dark charcoal with medium silver mane/tail. Dark face but the lighter mane/tail don't seem to fit the pattern. When clipped, she had a very light dove colored undercoat with large charcoal spots on her rump- now grown into charcoal with lots of intermingled white hairs.

I also have a mare that when clipped out was a light almost pink color. I think the combination of silver and sorrel makes her look pinkish mauve when newly clipped. She also clipped out to have appy looking spots which almost are all gone when her hair grows out. (She also has a mustache, wide blaze, and a big sorrel spot on one leg) I'm not sure what color she is but looks like a little haflinger in the winter!!!

Thanks for taking time to read all this. Do these sound like roan characteristics to you??
The first horse described sounds like a Silver Roan. Roans would typically have darker mane, tail, head, and legs, but the Silver would lighten that.

Blue/Black Roan is simply a Black horse with the roan gene. You just have to get that right combination, and there is no way to positively produce it since it is believed there are no homozygous roans.

A "blue" Roan is a Black Roan, Corinne- genetically the two are the same
default_yes.gif
:

So- what colour are your horses??? :lol:

That roan gene is tricky!

I bred my silver bay roan to a palomino/dunalino? mare got a silver bay roan foal. Bred him to a silver dapple and got a silver dapple, bred him to a creme buckskin and got a silver buckskin! Not what I was expecting, based on what I was told, but I am very happy with all of them
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back