seasonal 'heaves'

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7fluffyfriends

Reaction score
If you have a mini/pony that flares up when Spring arrives, would you mind sharing how you help your horse?

I do call our vet, who does a great job, and the normal protocol is a series of injections for about

10 days or so.

It is effective but the mini being treated is horrible with injections. You probably know exactly what I mean!

Do any of you use any supplements, or other protocols that reduce this seasonal 'attack'?

Thank you!

I used to have a morab with heaves, who did very well maintained on antihist granules. If his heaves really flared up, the vet would give him dexamenthasone, it is available in a tablet form.

My vet has my horse on a daily dose of prednisolone tablet either dissolved in a syringe by mouth or in his food. . Used to be on dexamethasone and could increase the dose if he had a bad attack, but now does very well on the pred as it works as a preventative.

I am curious as to what the 10 dose shots are and how they work.

I have a mare that has had it over 10 years now. At one point it was so bad euthanasia was seriously considered. As a last ditch effort we did allergy testing and had shots custom made. Turns out she was allergic to pretty much everything.

It worked like a MIRACLE. It was also much cheaper. $150 for the first years worth of shots, $75 for each year after. The clenbuterol she was on was over $380 a month before that!

Thank you all so much for your feedback.

Madmax and AmySue thank you for the tips - am very interested in asking our vet for alternative to injections. We are on his list for a visit this coming week, and I will also get, Madmax, the info for this year's treatment and will post a reply. I do not remember the details from last year or would share those with you!

FurstPlace Miniatures - wow! Custom made injections - what a terrific plan of action and it sounds well worth the efforts you all put in. Horses certainly seem to suffer many similar ailments to their human partners and it is amazing to reflect on the changes in veterinary medicine since I was a kid............ just a few years ago.
default_whistling.gif

It is great to have options!

Zyrtec works pretty well for my pony. I've heard good things about Omega Alpha RespiFree, but I haven't tried it.

The same Zyrtec that is used by people? That is fascinating to me. As species (animal/human) we are not so far apart in some ways, are we?

Thanks sayyadina! Any ideas that don't involve needles certainly has Goldie's unqualified approval!

Just an update on the vet's recommendation for Goldie. A series of five injections, three days apart: 8ml of predef, a steroid.

This is the program she was on last year so I was way off with the 10 injections! It just seemed like 10!
default_whistling.gif

She responded very well last year and she is doing well again on this program. I have also ordered SmartBreathe Pellets through SmarkPak to see if this supplement provides a bit of extra support over time.

We hate to see our animals struggle don't we?

Yes, the same drug. My pony also has metabolic issues, so steroids are out for her.

Also, consider feeding her wet - both her hay and what ever feed you have her on. If you can feed her outside instead of in a stall - that may help and if indoors - regularly "wet down" the stall - ceiling, walls, bedding - to lower any and all dust. During the summer/fall when it's not really humid (yep, that does occur, LOL), we often hosed stalls down several times a day at the boarding barn with the vets office. Some more heavily than others - due to the residents' stall habits - pawing and stall walking throw lots of dust into the air where it stays and then adheres to everything until it's "blown" back into the air by a fan, breeze, cough or snorts or even a kick to a wall...

For our mare (large pony, part arab), after moving down from MT and bred & originally from N Dakota, this helped immensely. Other wise, she was able to be maintained on "Anihist" powder added to her feed during the summer and fall when she had her flares with heaves. When I sold her, the new owners maintained her the same way - though when she went to a trainers barn for a riding tuneup she got pretty bad for a while (the barn was horribly dusty - several horses dug holes constantly in their stalls and I would wear a bandana over my face when I was in that section of the barn). Moving her from the barn to an outdoor paddock fixed most of the problem.

Another large pony sized, purebred arab mare that we owned, developed a cough after a bad choke incident which took HOURS to clear. The cough would show up like clockwork about the same time every year - mid - fall - starting the year after the choke incident. We often used liquid Breathe EZ - first purchased from the vet, then later thru vet catalogs w/o a prescription. I also used it on the "heavey" mare - as it seemed to help. We would just syringe it into their mouths - they both learned to like it.

I also use it to this day for a cough if I have some on hand when needed. 1 drop placed on your finger, placed on the back of your tongue, opens up your nasal passages and stops coughs for hours~! Works wonders when OTC cough remedies quit working, especially if the cough is due to sinus drainage due to seasonal allergies. I believe the main ingredient is Eucalyptus but can't remember the rest at the moment and haven't looked it up in a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

I apologize for the belated response, our computer went into the repair shop Memorial Weekend and they had a backlog on top of the Memorial Day observances. We ended up with a new hard drive and some other bit or piece.

Thank you all for the responses and ideas, they are much appreciated. It is such a support to have this pool of knowledge and experience to draw from and put to use. It is also affirming to read hints and help from others that you may be doing already - you feel as if you are on the right track.

Thank you Debby for the link. That is an excellent article. We actually feed round bales in the winter, but will look into a different method. Lou (hubby) is willing and able to unroll the bale which would help with the head in the bale. Also, small squares were available last year and the supply in our area should be good again this year. Need to look into that.

Thank you, Ryan. Goldie is doing much better after her therapy. Now to see how to minimize this annual 'event'. We do have free choice and open barn so dust is minimal but ever present. The hose is now attached and used more often and she is not able to stick her head in the bale. (Though I sympathize...........there are days a pan of brownies makes me want to do the same thing! Or, a bottle of wine!)

Thanks too for the tip on Breathe EZ. Am learning more about this. Maybe a tool in the med cabinet?

Take care all and healthy happy horses to you!

I am late to the thread, been meaning to post but keep forgetting. I have a ponymwith respiratory allergies and he gets an inhaler of beclomethasone when they flare up.

(Though I sympathize...........there are days a pan of brownies makes me want to do the same thing! Or, a bottle of wine!)

default_new_shocked.gif
default_drool5.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
default_drool5.gif

If ever in the area, Paula,( or anyone else for that matter!) stop in and we will share both brownies and wine..........maybe a nice white? rose? red? one of each!!!!
default_yes.gif

Back