Scooter is going to the vet.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmymini2

Reaction score
Scooter is going to the vets Wednesday to be gelded.. :aktion033: I was wanting to know how to take care of him when we get home.He won't be staying over nite he will come home...what things do I need to do and not to do....any advice will be appreciated as this is my first to be gelded...
default_yes.gif
:

The absolute BEST place to put a newly gelded fellow is in a clean grassy paddock where he can move around, and ENCOURAGED to move around.

If you don't have that, but have a stall will rubber mats, that is second best - in my opinion. No bedding, just the rubber mats. Bedding can stick to the open wound. If he's stalled, he needs to be pulled out daily and lightly excersized to keep him from swelling. Just taking for walk/trots will help.....or lightly lounged on a lead line.

Some people like to rinse the genitils with gentle running cold water, just to make sure there is no swelling. We've only had to do that once.

Your vet may give you antibiotics for him. Ask him for any other advice he may have. I think it takes about a week for the incision to close up, but you should check with the vet on that for sure.

MA

I was so worried about my first gelding experience and I was doing 3 of my colts at one time. My vet came out and did it at our place. I think the worst part for them was the sedation. My vet gave them a shot of something (don’t know the name) that reversed the sedative to wake them up. They were very tired and wobbly. All three of my boys recovered so quickly and with little pain.

Be sure to keep all those flies away and your vet will help you out in the care of your little guy.

One thing I do recommend is to keep him away from any spunky little minis that you might have. Yes, you do want to keep them moving, but with all the “vet clinic smells†that you little guy will come home with you don’t want your minis harassing him while he is recovering.

It seemed a lot easier then what I expected.

Good for you to for making the decision to gelding your mini! He will make awesome little guy!

Dee

Thanks for the advice..I will put him in a paddock..I am doing this by the almanac..I hope it goes well...thanks again!!

I'm doing this too Soon... so will there be any blood? My dad said there would
default_unsure.png
: And does any thing change when gelding an Older (say 6-10 year old) proven stud? I'll be a first for me...

Oh & what about their papers!? :new_shocked:
default_unsure.png
:

I'm doing this too Soon... so will there be any blood? My dad said there would
default_unsure.png
: And does any thing change when gelding an Older (say 6-10 year old) proven stud? I'll be a first for me...

Oh & what about their papers!? :new_shocked:
default_unsure.png
:
Those are good questions...I hope we get an answer!!!..I wonder too about blood and drainage..

My best advice is to ask your vet when you drop the horse off, or when you pick him up to tell you EXACTLY what HE reccomends you do. Each vet seems to do things their own way, and each vet will have their reasons for this. I think its best to follow your vets instructions... just remember to make sure he gives them to you! Make sure he knows you've never done this before, so he will not just assume you know what to do. Also make sure you know when then vet wants you to consider calling him (ie, how much swelling does he consider normal)

Yes, ask your vet about the drainage (blood). Some will say not to worry, but some will recommend the hose.

Each registry has a form regarding the gelding. One requires that your vet sign it, so you should print those up before going to the appointment.

MA

There is usaully more bleeding in an older horse.I have had a 7 yr old done(no problem) a 14 yr old(no problem)and most recently in Dec my 15 yr old done(major problems)I left him at the vet's overnight but he had to stay another night due to bleeding.When I got him home I hand walked him and had lots of draining.He kept draining and bleeding for several weeks-had to take him back-he was anemic from bleeding.More meds, Red Cell and lots of watching.It took several weeks for him to get right.He has been my only problem castration and I have had lots done.2 yearlings to be done as soon as they drop

Latest posts

Back