Savannah Cats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of the Savannah cat? They are a cross between a Serval (a wild African cat) and a domestic cat. They are controversial due to the large influx of wild blood; because of this some people consider them to be more unpredicatable and dangerous. They can cost between $20 000 and $30 000
default_wacko.png

Go down a few generations Matt, they have better dispositions and you can get one for $2000 - $3000. There's a lot of people breeding the F3, F4, F5's.

I've heard of them and done some research in the past. They are truly gorgeous animals, and said to be very loyal, however I don't think they like sharing the house with many other animals.

So, so beautiful. "If I had a million dollars...."
default_biggrin.png

They are very pretty... We have heard of people breeding F3, F4 (which are just the lines domesticated further down to my understanding) and they are supposed to be priced much more reasonably as well... But none the less very pretty!

I have heard of them and they are absolutely beautiful, but the price is ridiculous.

They are very pretty... We have heard of people breeding F3, F4 (which are just the lines domesticated further down to my understanding) and they are supposed to be priced much more reasonably as well... But none the less very pretty!

I was going to ask and then thought I'd research and haven't yet. That's what I figured. So...F1 is a straight Serval/Domestic breeding, I gather (what type/breed of domestic cat is typically used?). F2 would be, possibly, two first generation hybrids (are they always fertile? Or are they like mules?)? etc....? I'd love to hear more about this breed. Fascinating.

Oh...and here's another vid of the same girl waking up that little boy, Andreas (watch her JUMP!)

Last edited by a moderator:
They are absolutely gorgeous. If I had no other animals and could devote lots of time and money to it....

Jan

There are some fertility issues with the F1 and I think F2s. (not all are sterile though)

The f3 and f4s are more "domestic" like and better suited as house pets. I did a lot of research on the breed a few years ago, it seems the F-1 are usually not kepts as "house pets".

F-1 is the first cross between the two species. F-2 is a mating of two F1s, F3 from two F2's and so on. Breeders often cross f-2s back in to later generations to "fix" the traits of spots and structure.

Like someone said f1s are often considered "exotic" and banned in many communities.

I would LOVE to own a Savannah cat! I have read about them and talked to some breeders and all of them say they are amazing pets to own.

They are supposedly very loyal and outgoing. They do have a stubborn streak though which is usually worse with the F1s so they are better suited for some than others.

Here's a link to a website that corrects a few of the Savannah Cat myths:

Savannah Cat Myths

It seems as though the only reason there are bans in some areas is because some people haven't taken the time to do their research or talk to breeders/owners

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read all of the posts so hope I am not just repeating what others have said but from what I have read about them it seems like the males are generally sterile until about the F5 cross - occasionally their may be a fertile one but rarely to my gathering. But the females are fertile from all the crosses. The farther down the line like F3, F4 the smaller they generally tend to be - weighing closer to 10-15 lbs versus the 20-30 lbs that the first crosses can weigh. I believe (could be wrong) that some of the first crosses were made using a siamese as the domestic breed. I also believe (could be wrong again as I haven't read anything for a while) that the desirable domestic breed should be a spotted cat (not a calico but more like a tabby) so that the offspring will have the "wild" coloring. I also recal having read that a perferred domestic breed is the egyption shorthair because of the bone structure I believe.... And they LOVE water, like to jump in the tub or shower from what I read....

Hopefully I have recalled most of this right - working off my memory isn't always the best
default_smile.png

Regardless they are beautiful
default_smile.png

Thanks for the info
default_smile.png
Looks like there is a breeder in Niagara (not far from me) that breeds F2, F3, and F4...
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back