Sassy behavoir in little filly...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whispering_Pines

Reaction score
Tilly will be three weeks on Sunday, she loves people but is pretty sneaky! You can be loving her up, she turns her hinder towards you, leans tight against you andwants to kick you, then takes off to play. Normal behavior? What would the rest of you do?

Onyx also does the sam ehting. I do not let her do anything behavior wise I will not accept when she is full grown. She gets a butt pop.

Ignore it..she will grow out of it.. I had the same thing with my filly and shes just fine now...I think its quite common
default_yes.gif

Perfectly normal baby play time behaviour. As the others have said, ignore it, she will grow out of it of her own accord.
default_yes.gif

Any two babies playing together will meet and greet, shake their heads, turn aound, butt kick out at each other as the scamper away - usually to return to repeat the whole game LOL!!. So she's doing the normal butt kick game with you - you can join in if you wish!

(Moderately gentle) Pop in the butt! That shouldn't be tolerated or encouraged at any age. My rule is "if the draft baby would get in trouble for it, you do too. " if you encourage it or put up with it now, you are setting yourself up for a disrespectful horse or battle of the wills later on.

Easier to nip bad habits now than fix them later!

To me also, perfectly normal baby playing, and the only thing I do is "play" with a slight push to the butt.

Hah ha.. oh I can so relate. Our little filly was adorably sassy too but it alarmed me as we have no idea what we are doing with bringing up a baby horse. I did what was suggested as the above posters here have.. gently put her in her place much like another mare would do. These little horses want to view us as a potential play pal and we can't be that to them in this way... Whenever she would try to bite or shove her bottom around to me with her ears back or even shove her body into mine.. I would poke two fingers into her bottom and make an annoying .. "Ah.. ahhh" sound. It worked after a few days and she has learned to display awesome manners now. I also observed what the other mare did to put her in her place as our little filly had a way of sneaking up and biting the other mare who is so patient but not going to allow that.

Our filly is almost 2 months old now and no longer does any of those things at all. She just had to have a few times of gentle reprimands. She was also so skitterish.. wouldnt let us touch her and now.. I can lift up her hooves, check her teeth, pull her eyelids down to clean out a piece of dirt and hoping that I will soon be able to shave this little filly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lord I hope ya all know when I say butt pop I am not meaning a smack down. I love her too much to have her be undisciplined..but would never scare her either. She gives all 4 and I can touch her anywhere on her body..even between her legs.

I love her too much to have her be undisciplined..but would never scare her either.
Exactly. My rule is if it would be cute for her to do to a senior citizen or a very small child, then it's cute. Otherwise, tough luck princess!

Back