Sam's Town Show Down ~ Tunica, MS 8/12-13

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
I just got the mailer (is it called a showbill?) for the Sam's Town Show Down in Tunica, Mississippi on August 12 & 13. It's an ASPC/AMHR show.

I've never been to a "real" miniature horse show before, and this one is fairly close to us so I was really hoping to go. What should I expect to see as a spectator?

Also, I really want to show a couple of our horses, but the only problem is... I have NO CLUE how.

I presented two of our little ones at the local fair back in 2004... but that was a local fair, and there were only a few people there... all simple farmers and no "real" breeders/exhibitors. In fact, I showed them (everyone did) in regular barn halters.... I didn't have a fancy halter then.

Ok... now... please please don't laugh at me... but... on this form it is telling the different classes. One quesiton is about this "AMHR Aged Mare 3 years old & older - Over". The "aged mare 3 years old and older" I can understand. That means that my mare Foxy (who is 7 years old) should be put in that class because of her age.... 3 and older. But the part at the end..."Over"... what does that mean? She's 31.75" tall. Does the "Over" part mean she's got to be over a certain height ?

Also, I don't have a clue about the "Gate Rule"...what's that? Is that when you go to enter into the arena, you have to wait 2 minutes after the other people ahead of you went in ?

Oh, and on a funny note...in the part about the dogs where it says. "Excessive barking, unattended, running loose dogs will be removed by local dog control. Same goes for Husbands and Chidlren." :lol:

Very funny.

I probally won't gather up the courage to show. What I probally should do would be to watch a few "real" miniature horse shows and see what they do and when they do it before trying to get out there and do it myself. Right?

I'm pretty excited about this show, it's only 20 miles south of Mempis, and I'm only about an hour and a half away from there!

Ok...don't laugh again please... probally a really stupid question but, does it cost anything to go in and watch the show, or does it just cost you to enter the show with your horse(s) ?

Kim we would love for you to come and show! We even have a class set up right off the bat in the beginning of the show for beginners such as yourself! If you will look at class #3 AMHR Novice Mare/Geldings, Under you could show your little girl there. Then since you will both be warmed up and ready for another class, on Sunday you could show her in halter in classes 104, 105, and 108. You didn't mention if she is solid color or multi color, there are classes 122 and 123 for either of those. I don't know if you do any performance with her or not, possible some more classes there?

Please everyone come and fun! We plan to try and make this a fun show, and if we have a good turn out would like to make it an annual event! Don't forget you need to make your reservations at Sam's Town before the July 12 cut off. Be sure and tell them you want the special rates set up for the miniature horse show. For those of you who did not get a show bill, there is an ad in the last issue of the Journal, do not hesitate to call Lea Dill at 315-986-3026, our show manager for a class list! I could email you an entry if you would rather that way, my email address is [email protected] .

A reminder everyone needs to sign up for class #69 'Stick Horse Racing' and be sure and place your bets and encourage your pick to win with lots of noise! :aktion033:

Kim I'm sorry I was so excited talking about the show forgot to answer your other questions. There will hopefully be some spectators there watching, there is no charge to come and just watch.

we are planning on going, but haven't decided which stick horses to take:) Michael

Latest posts

Back