Salt block w/ or w/out minerals?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opie7441

Reaction score
I was giving the horses a salt block w/ added minerals and then read somewhere, can't remember where, that it shouldn't be done due to the copper in the block can hurt miniatures. Now I have plain salt block and vitamen supplement that I sprinkle over a small handful of sweet feed but I have since met others that have the mineral added block for thier minis w/out any problems. Can anyone clear this up for me??

We have always used the salt blocks w/added Selenium for our large and small horses as we are deficient in our area. We haven't had any problems with that but Selenium isn't needed in all areas. Best to check with your veterinarian.

We feed the Equest Range Horse blocks, which are mineral blocks that do contain copper at the level of 600mg/kg. No worries about the copper being harmful to Minis. In this area we are copper deficient apparently--some big horse breeders have had foaling problems due to copper deficiency--so more breeders are becoming concerned about feeds/supplements which have added copper.

Our broodmares, in addition to their mineral blocks, get PMU mineral top dressed on their grain through the winter, and this also contains copper.

Latest posts

Back