Sale out of country?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Horse Acres

Reaction score
I have someone interested in purchasing one of my horses that does not live in the U.S. and I am totally at a loss on how to handle the sale. Any advise or warnings would be great. I tried to do a forum search for the topic and failed miserably so topic links would be welcome also.

Thank you!!!

Di.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sell a number of horses overseas. It's been a very positive experience for me!
default_smile.png
I handle overseas sales just like I do any other. Be upfront and honest with your buyers. Buyers can pay by PayPal, credit cards or bank wire transfer. Your buyer will arrange their own quarantine and shipping. The horses need no more than a current coggins and health papers to travel to quarantine. I can give you quarantine facilities if you need that information. Good luck!

If they are on the level, they won't hesitate to call you directly. They also will know what they are talking about - horse's name, breed, price, etc. Won't be just "I want to buy your HORSE at last best price etc"

I sold a horse to Saudi Arabia and my e-mail decided his e-mails were spam, so they were going right to deleted file. So he called me directly.

They should contact the export facility, but if they don't know of any there are several excellent ones around. You would have your money prior to the horse leaving obviously.

Hope you don't mind me butting in Di. This is my niece asking and I believe she needs to know any particulars about Canadian transport. What health papers and any other pertinent information?

Canadian export is a bit more paperwork on the sellers part than overseas is since you have to arrange to have the export papers done thru your own vet (the quarantine facilities handle all this for overseas shipment).

I've sent 5 Shetlands and 1 miniature donkey to Canada in the past year. They needed a regular Coggins, Canadian export papers filled out in BLUE ink, a statement from the vet that meets all the current import requirements for Canada (they change regularly as disease outbreaks take place), and all three of those must be certified and EMBOSSED by the USDA State Veterinarian in your state. I usually start the paperwork 30 days before shipping because the turnaround at the USDA vet here can be up to two weeks if they are very busy or there are any holidays.

Minimore (Holly) here on the forum has imported quite a few and can help with some of the details I've missed.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back