sad night here at our farm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini-Max (Christine)

Reaction score
I wanted to write this while my emotions are still spinning. I know soon, I will hit the brick wall and reality will set in that we lost our QH foal. Our mare "Dollar" was due 2/28 but went into labor tonight. She was a very big girl. Well, things were progressing well until her water broke. After her water broke we saw one hoof, so after about 10 min my husband and neighbor entered her stall to find the other hoof and head. They found the other hoof, but no nose. After about 35 minutes of her pushing, I called the vet and we got referred to a different vet for emergency mare problems. He was wonderful. He determined the foals head dropped into the pelvic area and the foal was very very big. All my wonderful neighbors came to help. Well the vet determined the best solution was to bring a tractor over and hoist her up (it was now about 1.5 hrs after the water broke). After being aced three times (our mare was determined to deliver the baby) we laid her out and proceded to pull the foal out with a tractor. It was horrifying. Only a trained vet could have done what he did and the mare make it though. The foal was a light red dun colt with the blackest stripe. He was beautiful and will be laid to rest out back. Our mare is doing great. She is resting in her stall and the vet will be out tomorrow to flush her out. He did not want to give her the oxytocin tonight incase she ripped inside. He did not want her to bleed out.

Please say a prayer for my mare and my very heartbroken daughter. This was our second try at breeding. Our goat two years ago had a similar problem and we lost the baby and had to have a c-section. I just need this mare to make it, so my daughter and I can continue to spoil her. I will never ever breed again even though my vet said it looked like I had done everthing correctly, this was a situation you could never forsee.

Thanks for letting me share.

Christine

How awful for you!! I'm so sorry for your loss and I'm praying your mare makes a full recovery.
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
: That had to be a traumatic experience for you and the mare.

Oh, I'm so sorry things turned out this way!
default_sad.png

Please accept my condolences and fervent wishes that your mare will be just fine.

Liz M.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope your mare is ok and your daughter can enjoy her.

im so sorry and can only imagine how traumatized all of you are. sending prayers for your mare!

Oh Christine, I am so sorry!

Hugs and prayers for you and your daughter and special prayers for your lovely mare, "Dollar" that has lost her precious baby. I think that is one of the hardest parts is watching the Mothers look for and grieve for their foals.

[SIZE=12pt]I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet, old or new, is a tough thing to deal with. Please give Dollar an extra kiss for me. I'm sure she is greiving too. ((((((((HUGS))))))))[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Shannon [/SIZE]

default_bye-sad.gif
: My heart crys for you all. We will be thinking of your mare and family.

Prayer coming your way

melissa
default_pray.gif
:

Christine I am so sorry! I know the emotions that you & your family are feeling. It is so heartbreaking & disappointing to lose something that you have anticipated so much especially when you go above & beyond.................. Nothing I can say will ease the sorrow - just know that with time it will lessen.. Sending best wishes that the mare will be ok.

You are in my prayers. Sometimes, no matter what you do, you lose them and it is just heart breaking.

Thank you all for the support. Today has been very tough. We are waiting on the vet this morning so he can flush her out. She still has the placenta hanging, so he said that was fine and he would take care of it. He is a wonderful young vet that did not give up on Dollar last night. A couple concerns are that she was down on the wet cold ground for quite a while last night, so we have to watch her for numonia (sp?). The vet said that since she has been drinking and eating a little today, she is already showing good signs.

I know I feel like we have had very bad luck with this result, but my neighbor/good friend said we are very lucky since Dollar is doing so well. I truly feel blessed to have her be part of our family. Dollar has been so fun and loving just in the past two months that we owned her. The folks that sold her are just devestated for us. They live in Ohio and are wonderful people.

I also have to say my two mini-geldings (Gus and Talisman) are being so quite for Dollar. Last night they were just standing by the wall and did not move an inch while this whole ordeal happened. I do believe animals have a sense when something is wrong and show support to other animals. Even though they never be in the same field together, they love each other thru the fence.

Thank you again.

Christine

:no: Oh no, I am so terribly sorry for the loss of your colt. (((((HUGS))))) to both you and your daughter. I pray your mare will be OK, and don't be shocked if she has some MAJOR swelling in her rear end. Good Luck.

I'm so sorry you lost the foal. Hope the mare will be OK.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your foal and the pain and trauma your little mare experienced. I hope she continues to do well and recover.

Oh Christine I am so so sorry. For all of your family. Glad you mare is alright. And things will hit you , and you will get better. It is just so hard. I am sorry.

Latest posts

Back