Sad Day Here...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punky

Reaction score
My Mare TLC`S Myia Bria lost her foal yesterday
default_no.gif
I found her standing over

her baby yesterday, this would have been her first foal. And i couldn`t wait for this

baby to hit the ground either.
default_no.gif
And it was a filly also, looks to have a bald face,

beautiful markings also. Bria is doing good, and she is getting alittle more TLC now also.

I have a question though, my cousin`s mare aborted around the first of the month also,

Her and Bria was together before i got her in Oct. could there be any connection there?

Within a month they both aborted, they both where bred to different stallion, just shared

the same field. I didn`t give Rhino shots this year either. Just throwing things out there

to try and find out the why of it....i know may never but....
default_no.gif
heart broke over this.

Here are a few pictures, please just take a look and see if you can see anything wrong

with her...
default_no.gif
I couldn`t see anything, but this is my first aborted foal so wanted

some of you to take a look.

pic1-1.jpg

100_0452.jpg

100_0451.jpg

100_0448.jpg

Thanks,

Tina

I am so sorry. I can only imagine how devastated you must be. My maiden mare Sofie is 5-1/2 months along and I am holding my breath that something doesn't go wrong. I feel really bad for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry. Kim from CrayonBox Minis may want those pics to add to her site. She has an incredible link about lost foals and it has helped many with the pain and understanding of these woeful losses.

I am so sorry for your loss
default_no.gif
I hope some of the experts on here can help you determine what may have gone wrong. Give Bria extra HUGS .

I am so very sorry for the loss of your foal. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tammie~

Aw, I'm SO sorry
default_sad.png
Big {{{Hugs}}} for you and your mare.

Punky ,

I am sorry for the loss of bria's foal looks like she would have looked just like her sire ...Belly splash..I dont see anything wrong with the foal , sometimes mother nature just has different plans..

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't see anything wrong with the foal; you know, many times abortions just happen and there is no known reason. I guess that rhino could be the culprit, but it could be something totally different too. Doesn't help the heartache of the loss of an anticipated foal. So sorry.
default_sad.png

I'm so sorry your mare aborted.
default_no.gif
How far along was she? I hope she's doing okay.

Mel, thanks for the comments, its hard to lose one, but you already know that also.

I will have her checked and flushed out, to make sure no infections there, and try

again next year with her.

Sandy, she was 6 months along, and doing good.

Magic, it could have been Rhino but i didn`t give shots for that, so not sure, but she

is doing good, I have two others in foal, just keeping all things crossed that all goes

good with them now. I keep looking around just to make sure nothing in there now.

Thanks to all the thoughts and nice words, they help also make it a little bit easier to

deal with. Even though i know to could have just been mother natures way to take

but it don`t make it any easier on the heart strings though.
default_no.gif

Thanks to all who placed replies and thoughts......

Punky

Punky,

I can imagine how disappointed you must be....... I do hope your mare is doing fine.

You can drive yourself crazy with trying to figure out the "why's" and "what-ifs" because the cause could be any number of things, or maybe even a combination.

Yes, I think flushing your mare out is wise. And I would also check the field that both mares were in for anything possibly toxic. Other than that, my recommendation would be to give your mare lots of love and try again next season.

MA

It seems to be 'that time of year' and my vet told me that if they are going to do that, it is usually in the fall at around 5 to 7 months along. I lost one on Xmas Eve last year- the foal appeared fine. The mare has had previous foals and is bred again now. (and I had her flushed, etc...)

My neighbor just lost one on Thanksgiving morning about 6 months along.

Doesnt seem to be any illness or reasons sometimes....

And of course after last year (had never had that happen before) and hearing about other losses, I am now paranoid about it all.

So sorry for your loss. You vet may be able to give you more insight as to what may have happened.

default_no.gif
My heart goes out to you and your mare. We will be praying for you and your family.

Sending prayers your way.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Oh, I'm so sorry. I know how disapointing that is. At least your mare was able to deliver easily and shouldn't have any damage.

Since 2 mares from the same pasture aborted around the same time I would wonder about something like Rhino or Lepto.

Charlotte

I am so sorry for the loss of your foal, prayers being sent your way and give all my love to your mare.

We lost a foal from are standardbred a couple years ago and it was pretty well formed, I was so upset so know what your going through, we don't know why she lost it, it didn't look deformed. I have a palomino pinto who is preg. about 6 months along, suppose to be in March sometime, she was preg. when I bought her I'm watching her all the time.

Latest posts

Back