Ryegrass Hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windhaven

Reaction score
Does anyone feed ryegrass hay and what are your opinions on this hay? Good - Bad, Do the horses like it or not

I was only able to find a little information on it. It is suppose to be good horse hay, but everyone has their own opinion. Would like to hear what anybody has to say on it.

Thanks

Great question Windhaven. Hot enough ferya?

Ive only seen it up my way rolled for cow hay every now and then.

In the late fall, I hand spread rye grass seed in the smaller fields, mostly just to keep those dead grass fields from turning into complete mud lots during winter. It comes up fast. The horses don't seem to want to eat it though.

Thanks Marty

YES it is hot enough!!!!!!! It has not been below 90 in over two weeks and that is not including the heat index which have taken us over 100 several times.

Well I sure hope somebody replies that has had some info on Ryegrass hay.

Out here on the West Coast, we have a lot of Rye hay. I grow and bale it in my field. (actually it's a mix of Rye and Orchard ) And it is in the pasture that I let the horses graze. There are probably different types of Rye, I have no idea what type mine is. It reseeds itself, we haven't seeded our pastures in at least 20 years. We do have irrigation.

It will put a shine on a horse like you wouldn't believe, but it also puts weight on them. That's the downside to it.

Quite a few people feed it and it is my choice of hay along with Alfalfa. Shine, shine, shine!!

Hope this helps.

Sue

Last edited by a moderator:
Back