runny poop on a foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
born last night and have vet arriving as soon as he can get here.

All is well except for foal poop is rather runny and a yellowish golden color...nursing, peeing, energy level all good.

Delivery was unassisted and not watched on camera. Vet will test ( forget the name ) colostrum levels ( not the SNAP test ) when he arrives but the poop has me stumped. Any ideas

thank you

Scours. Caused by either a bacteria or a parasite. Clean your mares bag, and everything else that he might have contact with. Keep him hydrated. If it doesn't pass in a day or 2, call your vet.

gosh I hope not...still waiting for vet but will keep you posted, thank you for your thoughts...still hoping its nothing but cleaned her udders just in case

Sounds quite normal to me..both my babies had golden colour pooh that was rather goohey..Im sure its nothing to worry about but the vets reassurance is always good
default_thumbup.gif
..you cant tell us you had a baby last night and not show us any pictures..come on get the camera and share that cutie new baby
default_yes.gif

Poop sounds normal for a day-old foal. It is usually a cow-pie or pudding-like consistency as opposed to normal poop that comes later or the the dark, tarry meconium that comes first. The colour comes from the foal's first colostrum-rich meals - and dogs think it is manna from heaven.

Thank you all

Vet left earlier this evening, called him at 9 am...said he was taking his time b/c he couldnt do IGg ( ? ) test that I wanted done for at least 8/9 hours after foaling...I had forgotten about that. Anyway told him what Ive asked on here and he is pretty confident all is well. Color comes from rich momma milk basically. Thinks he passed meco. and I just didnt notice it. My only concern was foals temp...he assured me that all foals usually have somewhat higher temp than mares or older horses in general. Just said I need to keep a close eye on him w/hot Fla. weather. The test was past 780 before he drove away and he felt it would be much higher as time went on...good news too. Now if only I can load some photos

Latest posts

Back