Routine for warming up your driving horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shandoaharabmini

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is the first time I have posted a question. I have been into driving miniatures for a number of years and also like halter, jumping, showmanship, and obstacle classes. Since there are so many people that are involved in this forum I thought it would be a great place to ask this question. What routine do you go through to warm-up your driving horses? Is your routine different at a horse show? Does anyone use cool packs on joints or magnets? How do you know your horse is warmed up before starting a lesson or a class?

Thanks so much,

Shandoaharabmini

First of all, welcome to the forum! I'm glad you posted.
default_wub.png

I think everyone approaches warming up a little differently and most of us even do it differently with different horses. My gelding for instance has no problems focusing on his work when we start but it takes him a long time to get supple enough to really get his hindquarters under him and power forward without overflexing in the neck. For him we do a lot of bending and flexing exercises at the walk then add some simple circles, figure eights and serpentines at an easy working trot until he's rhythmic. Once he's moving freely then we add shortening and lengthenings at each gait and increasingly frequent transitions until he's really working well. I know he's warmed up when he's taking up very strong contact, responding briskly and easily to all commands and feels collected and energetic in my hands. For this horse with his physical problems (he had locking stifles and is now recovering from a back injury) it's a lot of work to push from his back end so we take it slow and easy and do a lot of stretching in-hand before and after his workouts to help keep him sound.

I know friends whose horses are very powerful and energetic and their worst challenge is working the horse down at the start of a session.
default_biggrin.png
The horse doesn't want to focus and is raring to go so they have to spend almost an hour doing long trots and exercises designed to get the horse paying attention and thinking about his or her work. For these horses sometimes the best remedy is sweat!
default_laugh.png
Needless to say these horses are usually fit and have reached an advanced stage of training.

For a green horse I take things slow and spend a lot of time focusing on "whoa, stand" and good clean transitions. The horse must have a quality walk with lots of swing to it, a steady forward trot and should neither leap up into the next gait nor fall out of the last one when brought down. By the time they can give me these things they're pretty much warmed up as it takes a baby awhile to focus that much.

The only thing I do differently at a horse show is I may take the horse out on a lunge first to let him blow off some energy since he's been stalled. He can run and buck and stomp and do whatever he wants until I see him start to settle down, then I'll start asking more and more firmly for specific transitions and such until he's obeying well. That's pretty much the warmup and when I hitch I'll go straight to serious mental work as his body is already loosened up. I do make sure the horse has a chance to get used to all the other carts in the warmup ring and make allowances for distractions at first but eventually I expect the same performance he'd give me at home within the limits of the space available. It seems like we never get as good a warmup at a show as we would elsewhere because they're always switching directions before you're ready (or worse, won't switch directions at all!) and you're constantly stopping for a horse in front of you or getting run over by one behind. Yuck! I have a tendency to find a quiet grassy place in the parking lot and warm up by myself.
default_wink.png

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Leia gets WAY more technical about it than I do!
default_laugh.png

I start out with walking, then some easy trotting, mostly a working trot. Then we might get more into bending and changing rates before we work on hard turns in Cones and hazards. Some days we might do dressage, others Cones, and others on the trail, all after the same simple warmup.

At shows, we walk to the warm-up area, then I do the same easy trotting, primarily letting the horse pick their speed without him taking too much control. After he is settled in a bit, I will do a "mock class". This seems to get my gelding's brain in gear, like then he knows what is expected next. He seems to say, "Oh, now I know what we are doing here!"

It usually takes about 20 min. for my gelding to really have his brain be focused on what is expected and for his gaits to be smooth and free.

Myrna

Hawk's tends to be stiff, so I always start with lots of free walk. I get him to drop his nose as close to the ground as I can get it and have him walk right out, until he's swinging though his back and overtracking a whole bunch before I ask for him to bring his head up and work on the bit. It's made a huge difference! Sometimes it only takes a couple rounds til he's loosened up, other times 10 minutes.

I do have a series of stretches I do with him, but generally I do them after he works, when his muscles are warm. At a show though, I run through the stretches before I hook him as well.

Now my mare - warm up for her primarily means getting her to focus. I walk her around the area at first too, but as much to let her look at everything (even if it's the same everything as yesterday) as to warm up her muscles. She's built a lot like Hawk, but somehow she's very loose and swinging in her movement right front the start. She's still green though, so I'm not asking her for nearly as much as I do of Hawk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great answer, Kendra. That's what I have always done with the big guys. I let them long walk until they are swinging freely through the back and then put them to work. I intend to continue this with my mini guy.

Lots of great answers here!
default_smile.png

I just wanted to say WELCOME to the forum!
default_saludando.gif

Thank you very much for your great answers and your warm welcomes. I have been driving the same gelding for 13 years, he is now 16 years old. Wow, time goes by fast. My gelding does have stifle problems when he is out of condition. Now that he is getting older I have noticed he seems stiffer at the beginning of driving. With all your great advise, I am going to change how I warm him up which will hopfully loosen him up more before start to work him.

Shandoaharabmini

Routinely I warm up in the round pen, sometimes in their bitting rigs if the weather is cool. as in early Spring. In the warmer weather I round pen a group together sans bitting rigs, as it gets too hot. I don't round pen them together in rigs, for fear someone will get hooked on someone else.......

As the horses get more fit with more work, I ask them to stand in their stalls in their bitting rigs turned to one side then the other. They will turn in circles a bit and when "Ready" they'll stop and relax with that side flexed and no longer pulling on the side rein. I reverse the sides and wait for the next side to relax. Then I harness them and hitch. We have a short walk to the ring, so we do stretch out on the way.

Once in the ring, we warm up with walking, turning circles both ways, then advance to trots, again, both ways. This also includes halts and back ups.

NOTE: I always ask for halts and back ups in different spots in the ring so they don't just assume, "We stopped here so I'll immediately back up".

We also trail drive during show season, and we often skip the round pen/stall/bitting rigs, BUT we warm up slowly along the way, and once warmed up, I ask them to do the same as I do in the ring, with circles, halts and back ups as space allows.

My husband sometimes runs his cart into TREES............so the horse he drives must back up quietly and well....(Poor Triple!) And we give him the steel work cart ( again, POOR Trip!)

Latest posts

Back