Round Pen

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renolizzie

Reaction score
We are finally getting a round pen. It is on my list of must haves:)

I have one 31 1/2 inch gelding.

He is a driving horse. We only do recreational driving or trail driving. We don't do show driving.

Wiseguy actually does know how to lunge. We have been working a bit here and there on a lunge line but not out to 30 feet. More like 12 feet. Sometimes further, maybe 20 feet.. I've only done the lunging a little bit since I am still getting the hang of it. So far it is going pretty good.

We bought a 60 foot round pen but we could easily make it 50 feet if we wanted to since it is being delivered on Wednesday and hasn't been set up yet.

Any hints or tips on using the round pen that people would like to give me?

Just a word of caution here - it can be easy to pop a horse in a round pen and start putting on a lot of pressure.

A round pen is a fun thing to have. Just make sure the horse is having fun too!

That sounds like good advice:)

I really am new to this so that is the sort of thing I was hoping to learn more about.

I always try to keep our sessions short. A few small jumps. A couple of backs. Maybe a circle maneuver each direction.

I am hoping we will have fun doing the round pen.

Of course, I have been watching videos and reading up but he is a mini so I was wondering if the mini might be a bit different than the bigger horses for any reason?

I am also hoping this will be a place where he can run a bit since I am not a jogger:)

Reactions: KLM
I don't find the minis any different than big horses. Maybe cuter
default_smile.png

They certainly act like, react like, and have the same instincts.

Lacey can be lots of fun on line and in the round pen. But i have to watch my energy and intent as she will scream loudly if she feels threatened.

It's easy to put on too much pressure when you've got them in the round pen.

I've made mistakes in the past by not respecting that they can feel trapped and threatened. After all, they haven't watched the videos, and they will not know what they are "supposed" to do until you teach them.

Now I keep the round pen sessions short and SWEET
default_smile.png
with both full size horses and the minis. It can be a great tool, as you can encourage maintaining gait (as you say ) without having to run yourself.

I just picked up a DVD by Mark Rashid on ground driving and it has some good stuff in it. He uses the round pen. You can see how his walking speed, and where he angles himself, affects the horse's actions and reactions. Pretty cool!

You can use your horse's reactions as feedback as you are experimenting with techniques.

But if he doesn't do what you want, he is not being stupid or resistant, you just need to try for a different way to influence him. It can be a creative place!

I'm looking forward to the snow melting so that I can get back into the round pen too. It's just a bit too deep still.

There is no snow here and spring has sprung although we won't be able to plant veggies until May 15th.

Okay, I will try to see how the little guy is reacting when we get into the round pen.

The DVD sounds very interesting.

What I would really like to do is continue advancing our sense of togetherness and confidence with one another above all else. I think that we are really starting to work well together. I haven't had him out with the cart since November and I will be hoping that we will make an even better driving team if we keep working together and he and I both have even more confidence in one another.

I got my round pen. Wiseguy was looking at it from his pen and I swear he was saying "OOOOO, lookey there! Is that a round pen going up just for little ole me?"

I took him out to it. He was a little spooked over the gate. Then I took his lead line off. First thing he did was roll in the nice clean dirt. Then he snuffled like a hound dog for a bit. Then he started running and kicking up his heels. So cute.

He did a fair amount of running and then some relaxing. I called him over and he came right away. I hooked him up and led him in and out of the scary gate several times. He got over the gate and I took him for a walk around the yard and back to his pen.

I didn't want him to overdo on the running since he hasn't gotten to run since I got him.

keep us posted. My brother has a round pen he said I could use. Hoping to get it in the next month. my boys need lots of ground work and so do I! LOL

The day I went to pick them up, I couldnt even catch them to put halter's on. That was last Oct, I just worked with them as much as I could. Now I have no problem hatlering them, they stand pretty good when tied, I can pick out their feet, my farrier has trimed them twice with no issues. the last time he beat me there and caught them by his self. I think their ready for more, but I am not so sure I know excalty how to train them, I am alitte worried I might do the wrong thing and start bad habits.

Jainie - Sounds like youare doing great! I know what you mean about not wanting them to develop bad habits.

I read a lot and watch tons of videos and I found a nice on line friend that is helping me without making me feel like I can't handle it. Nice to have someone experienced to talk to even if it is online.

Since people have different ways of dealing with horses, I try to parse it out based on how the horse brain seems to work and how I feel about the person's over all advice and abilities. I do the best I can but that seems to be working so far:)

Let me know how you are doing, Jainie. It's nice to hear about people's progress.

Renolizzie-we just bought a new house, so I am goin to be busy packing and moving, for the next month. So my boys are going to get a break for a few weeks. Which might work out, cuz the weather is just crazy in Missouri right now. Last Sunday we had record 12" of snow in the St. Louis area. Yesterday it was 65! so its a muddy mess around here. right now I keep my minis at my Mom's farm. Our new place will have 24 acres, but it needs cleared and fenced so it will be awhile before I bring the boys over. I am so looking forward to them living w/me.

i'll keep you posted on their progress. Is Wiseguy trained for driving? I think my smallest is about the same size as yours.His face reminds of him too. I have a harness, but even on the smallest settings its too big for him, but fits the other two fine. I think I am goining to wait before purchasing another one, incase he hits a growth spert-LOL

Let us know how he's doing in the round pen
default_yes.gif

Oh my goodness, Jainie. You are going to be busy. We have been busy every year since we moved here:) It is 7 years now. This is the easiest spring I have ever had. The veggie garden is already rototilled, mostly and I don't have too many projects. No new sheds this year although I have to do some finish work on the wood shed.

Wiseguy was already trained when I bought him. He has been really good for me since this is my first horse. I wanted one that already knew how to pull a cart. It has been a fun challenge to drive him and work with him. I will have him one full year at the end of April. I feel we are really working well together.

I work my three year old colt and my five year old gelding together, now- at first it is always a good idea to teach them all the basics separately, but after a while, and so long as you think it will work out OK it is possible to work multiples together! I make sure everyone knows "Whoa" and "Stand" and "Change" (direction) and then I try it out and see if it works- these two boys are stalled side by side and get turnout together every day so they know each other well....

Back