Round Pen Conditioning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laura,

yes, I'm agreement with Riverdance..... it's great when a trainer steps forward and gives excellent advice. Not just a comment here or there, but steps thru a sound "process" that gives the detail that's needed.

Also, thanks for the additional info. Looking forward to any info that you can send.

Thanks again,

Mike and Mary, MRZ Farms

My round pen is about 55-60 feet when its up

I love being able to diversify and not let the kids think its work.

We work the rail a bit to loosen up at all gaits before we get down to it and every time we stop we set up.

Then I have set up cones, a kiddie pool, tarp, a couple of jumps and a tire or cavalettis and let the good times roll and just direct them to whatever way I want them to go and utilize the stuff. Always have the music playing there too. They love it and it makes things fun and nobody gets soured.

This is really a good thread! Thanks Laura for sharing all of your good information! I am a beginner and absorb all the helpful techniques like a sponge
default_rolleyes.gif
Right now, with the winter, I am just trying to make sure that my 3 stay in decent weight to start the season of conditioning. Last year, they got too much hay and spent a long time excercising and dieting it back off! This year, I am afraid of them getting too lean under all that hair as I have adjusted their diet to maintain, not to gain or lose and hope that I have it right!

Barb

Boy you guys gave me lots to think about! Thanks Laura for all the great information! This is my first year showing and I will be honest that I don't really know what I am doing!

Right now my two girls (yearling and 2 yr old) are at a good weight, just need the muscle tone. The judge at the show that I went to in October told me that they needed to be walked up and down hills to build the muscle in their hindquarters.

I have started free lunging them in the round pen for 15 minutes every other day. They LOVE it and race and play and I really don't have to do anything at all. I think that maybe I should think seriously about putting them in Liberty classes! HA!
default_smile.png

Do you guys think that these fillies need their necks sweated? Or anything else for that matter? I know that i am going to have to sweat my colt, but these girls seem to have good necks naturally. Maybe I am just biased.
default_wub.png
These pics are from this past fall. The pinto is now a yearling, and the solid black is now a 2yr old.

6mos2.jpg

whispy43.jpg

Julie,

Although the black and whites head is raised up too high in the photo it does appear that she would benefit from a neck sweat. The bottom filly looks good in the neck at the time she was photographed. Check often though by feeling the crest and if you feel her getting any bigger at all get a jump start on sweating her neck. It takes a while to work so it wont reduce overnight.

They are both nice fillys overall! They will mature more too as they gain age and more workout time. Going up a little incline will help the rear too and just overall conditioning, and feeding program.One point of interest though, you might want to change the length of the show chain you are using, it appears to be too long on the bottom photo, and it can interefere with showing. The horse can lip it and it will hang down too much, possibly get into the horses mouth. A good rule of thub is that when you have the chain pulled forward it will not gofurther than the bottom lip. You should be able to put three fingers between the chin and the chain depending on how you have it rigged. But too much length can cause you to get a late response from your horse. There are also some really fine chains called Rolex chains that would look good on your fillies, they are more fine and delicate, really look classy on a horse. They are sold at STateline Tack and Double Diamond Tack. Good luck to you at the shows! Laura Tennill

Judy,

In response to your questions posted earlier, sometimes on the quiessence we have had to use a double dose to get started for a while and then as the horse tapers down can come down to a normal level with it. Is there a website on Remission? I would like to take a look at it also.

It sounds like your well on your way with your colt and working in the right directon. As far as your question regarding whether we shave the neck, I dont at this time of year, Jan. as I am still turning my show horses out in the day time and just keeping sweats on them during the night when they are in the stalls. They get to air out well and dry easily this time of year as its colder and not so hot that they are soaked with sweat or anything.

When we start using the rubber neoprene working sweats I will hopefully have them body clipped or clipped where the day sweats go and most likely their heads too to clean them up a bit, as the weather usually is not that bad in March, some cold but getting better temps. That way they can cool out much better and also not build up so much sweat. If the days are pretty cool and we need to sponge off the neck I think it would be a good idea to towel them off a bit to take the excess moisture out. So we will start using the neoprene neck and shoulder workout sweats in March to answer your question there. We like for the horse to be dried out well before putting the day wrap sweats back on! We wash ours periodically too and hang them out to dry. I usually double rinse them as well just to be sure no detergent traces are left as that can irritate a horse, especially under the throatlatch area.

I hesitate to do the neck and entire shoulder though as they will be darker there and a line will be quite noticeable when they are body clipped for a while, as the sun turns their skin a darker color where it hits the clipped areas. If I do clip the head and a bit of the neck and the sweats are covering that area its not too bad. But as soon as the weather permits, usually March,I do a rough clip on them to evaluate their body weight and they will also cool down and be more comfortable during their workouts. It does consume more time as when they are clipped early you must put blankets and or sheets on to keep them warm as needed. I hope this answers your questions and Good luck with your colt! Laura

Latest posts

Back