Round bale netting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minisch

Reaction score
A friend of mine who has big horses has started feeding round bales. They are stomping on it, losing lots of hay. round bale is kept in a shelter, she doesn't have a metal ring (can't afford one) I remember someone posting pictures of a netting put around so they eat less. Anyone know where she can get these Or any homemade things you can post pictures of? Thanks.

Some make their own out of hocking netting. Without a ring, I put the bale outside of the enclosure and fork daily amounts to the horses, it reduces waste.

Here is my redneck invention:

This isn't netting, its regular old field fencing. I had a mess on the ground as you can see in the picture before I came up with this idea. I put the round bale up on a pallet first because I don't want it on the ground getting nasty on the bottom. I just cut enough fencing to wrap around it one time and hold it together with a couple of two way clips. As the eat and the bale shrinks, I just tighten up the fencing and re-clip it so its tight and holds. As you can also see they make little holes here and there from pulling out the hay so the end of the day I go and shove the hay down from the top along the edges and fill them up. Only takes a minute. Its easy also to tarp it if it begins to snow or sleet because the tarp lays on the fencing, not directly on the hay and I bungy it to the pallet to stay put. Works perfect. And oh, nobody gets their feet stuck in the pallet or the fence.

I do the same thing for my quarter horse. He will eat it from the top most of the time and sometimes he will pull it out from the sides but he never wrecks it which surprises me because he's a very destructive horse but its been working for us for the past few years.

FarmpicsJan09003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Marty. I've sent the pictures on to her. Merry Christmas !

Latest posts

Back