Rope halters for minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used clinton andersen rope halter for a specific issue I was having with one of my minis. helped a ton for rearing and when he was trying to get the best of me for leading and I was losing. Once trained we used a leather halter. I only used the rope halter for training to lead and NEVER tied with it and I did not use it for lunging.. My boy didn't mind it and it worked nicely. the clinton andersen halters are very nice quality but pricy.

I hate them. If I need more control, I use a chain over or under the nose. It doesn't hurt hem just to sit there, and they are much less likely to get it caught. If a method will "only work with ONE type of halter," chances are its a gimmick.

Love em for training, big or little horses. I have a Clinton Anderson halter. Didn't think it was that pricy... I bought it at Clinton Anderson training session in Colorado. I paid $25 for it... But, I also bought the 25 foot lead and the 'carrot stick' so all told I think I paid about $75 for the whole thing...

Great control if your horse isn't responding to pressure... I had a gelding that was a handful and used it on him until he got the idea... Now, no problems.

Kari

Maybe I was looking at it the wrong way...I have two minis that aren't the same size and I'm about to get two more that will also be different sizes (foal, 28" yearling tiny guy, 30ish" mare and 34" mare). I will thinking they were quick and easily adjustable. I thought it would work well for farrier visits - never tied out or left on them without being right by their side. Maybe I just misunderstood what they should be used for. As always, thanks for the helpful input!

I found a lady on Ebay that hand makes mini rope halters, I just love mine, it is light and soft rope, and it was only $7. They have weanling through adult in many colors. I bet if you search on Ebay you'll see the one I mean.

I have a rope halter/lead I bought at a yard sale years ago for 50¢! I love it. Fits foals to small shetlands. Folds up to fit in a small space in my car. Washable. I made some 20 years ago out of baling twine and they were wonderful!

Great! Thanks for all of the help! I did find her on Ebay (seller name appartist)- I ordered one that is an adult size that should fit at least 2 of my minis. It was $8.50. The foal size is $7.00. Great deal!!

I have two full sized rope haters, a Clinton Anderson model (the lead is the pricey part), and another that is much softer. Have never found a mini sized rope halter I liked, but I guess I'm not really a big fan. The CA halter does its job when you need it but for e reusable use I prefer a good leather halter.

Jan

Thinking back I bought two at the same time...( Clinton Anderson halters), guess thats why I thought they were pricy. Haven't used them in a while but I keep them, they are a great training tool. The thing I liked about the clinton halters were that they fit great and they were kind of stiff rope that holds its shape really well and there wasn't any room for your horse to get a hoof caught and if tied properly they didn't slip a bit. there is a tutorial about how to fit and tie the halters. I first bought a halter from ebay from a lady and it didn't fit and it was fluffy and soft and didn't do squat to control my guy so I went to the clinton halter after that. What I loved best about using the halter was when I took my guys out for a "power walk" around the farm. The halters come in handy if you scare up a deer and your horse jumps or spooks hard and it is very easy to get back control and to keep them from grazing along the way too. We did many miles on our feet around the farm for training using the rope halters before I started line driving. I did purchase nice thin leather halters for both my boys and I LOVE them and it was what I used and still use after I had won respect and had decent control. I am small and have messed up shoulders from some horse wrecks and the rope halter was a big help when I was beginning training on the young boys. In my honest opinion you can't beat a really nice thin leather halter. The nylon ones I only use for bathing.

Last edited by a moderator:
A chain IMO is more severe then a rope halter. A chain would be my last resort, but since been using the Clinton Anderson halters haven't had to use a chain and nor do I use any other kind of halter. I hate the webbing halters now.

I have 2 Buck Brannaman rope halters and I love them. They are only as harsh as the hands that use them. They are wonderful for groundwork. I got mine from the Cheshire Horse. I think I got foal and weanling in the regular horse sizes. I don't tie with them. I mainly use them for groundwork exercises....For a lot of fun with your horse and to really enhance the relationship you have, check out Buck Brannaman's 7 clinics dvds.

Angie

Just like anything, chains and rope halters can be misused. If I had $$ I'd buy at least one rope halter for the minis I deal with, but I find that wrapping the chain around the noseband gives the horse just enough whoa while not digging into their nose. With my QH I used a rope halter & he did quite well. However, on his 'sensitive' days he acted like the knots on the noseband (supposed to be on either side of their nose bone I think) were horribly painful. As a caveat, this gelding was a little cuckoo and more like a really hormonal mare with his temperament.

A chain IMO is more severe then a rope halter. A chain would be my last resort, but since been using the Clinton Anderson halters haven't had to use a chain and nor do I use any other kind of halter. I hate the webbing halters now.
Yes and no. I've only ever seen scarring etc from chains on abuse cases. I've seen a LOT of horses with burn marks, rubs, etc that have owners that only follow certain methods using only rope halters. I think a rope halter used wrong is just as bad as a chain used wrong. Neither one hurts just sitting there. Both are capable of causing damage. A novice horseman or heavy handed one should use neither.

I prefer a chain and leather halter because in the event of an epic rear up or loose horse, etc, the chance of a foot getting caught is far less. Also, a chain is used in the showring, i train in it so there nothing "lost in translation". Personal preference.

Latest posts

Back