Rizer went to 1st Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacie

Reaction score
[SIZE=8pt]Well I'm going to show Rizer this weekend at his first show in weanlings/yearlings halter. It's a small local show at two quiet locations. He's been doing very well with his standing still (though I have to crouch down to see his little legs! haha!) but I've honestly never taken a weanling to a show. What should I expect? How should I prepare him? Noise doesn't bother him, and honestly - nothing spooks him, except our dogs (but they're bigger than he is!) [/SIZE]

I'm hoping to get their early enough so I can atleast walk the permiter of the arena with him. I'm sure that's going to be hard with everyone being all "OMGZ BABY PONY!" but I'll just have to keep my 'I can't talk right now' gameface XD We'll be staying awhile after the class, so he can get maximum exposure to all sorts of sights.

See below for a small recap of his first show 8D

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I commonly see with the babies is just normal new area worries. Some babies that are normally really good may not stand well or will jump around a little just because they are nervous but the probably most common thing I see is them refusing to trot through the judges since they are scared in a new area with strange people, it can be terrifying to such a lil guy! Just keep using calming voices and encouraging him to calm down and that should help but just remember he is a baby and babies will be babies
default_laugh.png
! Good Luck and let us know how you do!

Yes that's very understandable, but I might have the opposite problem. Rizer just wanted to trot around and meet the other horses when he arrived XD I'll have to really watch my speed. I'm used to showing a big strided full size paint - but when I run at that speed with Rizer, he canters o___o

I'm hoping maybe I can go in last. Or do you think I should take him in near the beginning? I'm thinking the end, because I don't know how long he'll stand still for. I know for sure he's no model class horse yet!!!

Yes that's very understandable, but I might have the opposite problem. Rizer just wanted to trot around and meet the other horses when he arrived XD I'll have to really watch my speed. I'm used to showing a big strided full size paint - but when I run at that speed with Rizer, he canters o___o
I'm hoping maybe I can go in last. Or do you think I should take him in near the beginning? I'm thinking the end, because I don't know how long he'll stand still for. I know for sure he's no model class horse yet!!!
Going in at the beginning and end are kind of a toss up because if you go at the beginning and he starts leaping like most babies do then at least you dont have to worry about him jumping into anyone else but if you go at the end he can see other horses and may or may not stay calmer.

And yes you wont be able to trot yourself, just walk so the lil guy can keep up better
default_biggrin.png
! I had the same problem when I switched to minis because I also showed paint horses my whole life until just a couple of years ago. The minis are way more fun to me
default_smile.png

So we arrived a bit early and the judge was late, so this gave me time to show him the arena inside and out. He did really well in his class - he won... but, he was the only one in his class. I hate winning by default >8( "breeders" around here aren't very keen on getting their babies out -rolls eyes- There's an AMHA show in september I think we'll aim for. I had to manually move his legs to square him. He's been hitting it pretty close at home but there was just so much going on!

Anyway, the replacement judge couldn't believe how well he walked and trotted off, and he only reared at the END of the class XD He was really good, considering the week he has had. Moved to a new home, got introduced to clippers and clipping, introduced to big horses, cats, dogs and chickens - and also got his first bath. Rizer takes it all in stride.

So many people came up to pet him and to take pictures of him. Atleast people were actually ASKING to pet him, and not just running up to come and hug him.

Congrats, I am glad he behaved for you, it sounds like he was just a perfect baby! And yes I always love it too when people actually ask to attack my horse lol! I have had kids run up behind my horse and slap them on the bum and then run away
default_wacko.png
. Nothing more aggravating, luckily my horse didnt kick them! Well hopefully your boy will keep doing well for ya and next time there will hopefully be some competition for you that way you can win but not by default
default_biggrin.png

Sounds like he is doing great. I have one myself and he can be a handful at times. And I see them at the shows too and you just want to put them back in the stalls because they become flippin idiots when they go into the ring. But hang in there and just keep working with him. something I do to get mine used to having their legs touched, is when I feed, I go into the stall and just start picking up all four legs over n over to just get them numb to the feeling of having their legs touched. I sometimes do this too with the clippers, I run the clippers over their legs, neck, head and ears while they are eating and they just get used to it after a while. so when it comes time to clip them, they really dont care anymore. Good Luck.....

So we arrived a bit early and the judge was late, so this gave me time to show him the arena inside and out. He did really well in his class - he won... but, he was the only one in his class. I hate winning by default >8( "breeders" around here aren't very keen on getting their babies out -rolls eyes- There's an AMHA show in september I think we'll aim for. I had to manually move his legs to square him. He's been hitting it pretty close at home but there was just so much going on!

Lacie, congrats on having such a good show. One thing to remember is that Rizer is a older 2009 foal, most current year foals are not ready to pull from their moms yet so it is unlikely you will have much competition in his classes until toward the end of the summer. Even at a 90 day wean, I know none of mine are ready to go yet, and I do not really like to wean that early.

Glad he went to a home that loves him so much! Did you get show photos?

Rizer is a 90 day wean - not to our doing. She'd taken him off his momma before we even knew about him >.< I would've preferred him to stay on longer, but he's eating well at the very least. We just had a major load of kids from our neighbor friends come down, and they surrounded the poor baby XD If he keeps the mind he has, I think I've struck gold. Just gotta work on his chewing habit. Sleeves. Lead ropes. Anything.

He's had a busy busy week, and we've decided to let him grow up and chill out, and we'll start back showing him in the late summer or fall. Atleast we know now, he can do it and he has the mental ability to control himself... at times.

Little Indian - We got video, but not pictures. The mother isn't camera savvy xD The only time I get good show photos is when a photographer is present, ooor when my dad (rarely) attends.

Maple Hollow - I think I'd be chasing the kid down with a whip in my hand, screaming "HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?!" Ooor, trip them.. Watching children fall is a great amusement of mine XD ... Don't get me wrong, kids are great - but not when they do stupid things... Like climb under bleachers and spook my paint >8(

For the record, I am not saying that him being a 90 day wean was bad. That is a personal choice for each breeder, just saying that most 2009 foals are not 90 days old yet and then I would say probably a majority of breeders wait past then to wean. I know Rizers breeder very well and have nothing but great things to say about the care and socialization she gives her horses.
default_smile.png

I still would have preferred him stay on longer xD I mean, he's great and all and acts like he's been there and done that despite his age... And I guess it can vary from foal to foal. He's independant in some ways, but as soon as you step out of the door he's hollering for you to come and see him. Because you know, he's the baby. He has the privelage of being adored. The paint's not too happy about that!

I almost have him switched over to our feed... Though he's very very picky about eating o___o I literally had to add it pellet by pellet. He's finally eating a 50/50 ratio -keels over- It's hard transitioning such small ammounts of food! Anyone have suggestions for introducing him to treats? He's completely snubbing them - even when the other horses are fed cookies infront of him. I've been using hay to get him to stretch his neck out, but that's not entirely convenient.

I have always weaned my foals at 3 months and never had a problem...I make sure they are eating hay,grain and grass and drinking water...4 months would be my tops leaving them on the mare...

Rizer ate like a pig here and always cleaned up his pellets...From the day rizer was born he was very vocal...always whinning at me when ever he seen me or heard my voice...He spent more time with me than his dam...If anyone ever buys a foal from me and isnt satisfied with him/her they can bring them back and i'll return there money...

>__> I never said we weren't satisfied? I've obviously been doing nothing but bragging on him xD

He ate the food you gave us well, but when offered just a tidbit of the feed we bought him he snubbed it entirely - everything we offered. ADM Feed Easy, ADM Senior, Platform Senior... But I added like 5 pellets into his usual ration of the feed you supplied and now he eats it... Shoves the bucket all around his stall, eats half of it and saves the rest for a midnight snack I guess. He puts all of his food into the back corner of the stall - where he beds down. But in the morning you better watch out because he's going to scarf it down.

I didn't mean to offend you if I did - I wasn't the one who brought up 90 day weaning, I was simply stating my opinion - which I am entitled to. I personally would leave them on longer, but that's my preference, as yours is to wean at 90-120 days. That's all the horse world is - opinions. What works for me might not work for you and the same is true with everyone and all of their horses. I am sorry if I offended you, but hey since we're tossing out a opinions I thought I'd put mine out there. I'm not the type of person to hold something back. I tried biting my tongue over an extended period of time awhile ago, and it just didn't work for me. I'm outspoken and I really just can't help it :-\

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said you wasnt satisfied...I was just stating that if anyone buys a mini from me and isnt satisfied they can bring them back...

I dont think a forum is a place to voice ones opinion on how someone else raises there miniatures...

Sometimes being out spoken can hurt a persons feelings or there reputation...

No hard feelings against no one...If you or anyone else has negative things to say about a breeder do it private between you not on a forum where tons of people read it....Thanks ....Have a great day...

Latest posts

Back