Ring Worm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Oaks

Reaction score
OK, I just discovered one of my horses has ring worm and now is separated from the others. I have clipped and washed three days (when weather permitted) with iodine shampoo. Now that the weather is colder I stopped washing and just put a antifungal cream on spots. What else can I do?????
default_no.gif

It sounds like you are on teh right track. The best stuff I have found is called Horsemans Dream I believe, it is an antifungal liquid and encourages hair growth also. It is great stuff.

Don't feel bad, Ringworm thrives in less light so winter it is breakout time often. Watch the other horses now, it probably will pop up on one of them too.

You should have it covered.

I recently had a problem because of a rescued kitten, that's all I did to myself and it went away quickly.

Bleach his halter and anything else that has touched those spots. You are doing everything you can do. The best is to clip, clean and the use of an anti-fungal. You could use an anti-fungal shampoo as well. It takes some time for these spots to clear up. Some are faster than others. If it keeps persisting I would call your vet as it can be a sign of a weak immune system. But I would not be worrying this early in the game! Keep us posted!

Equitech makes a spray and a gel, either works great. The gel is great to have on hand for scratches and scrapes too.

Carolyn

I think I'd also recommend 'sterilizing"(soak in bleach water, etc.) the blades you clipped this horse with.

Margo

I hope you are using gloves!! Ringworm is very contagious!!
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
Good Luck!!

10% iodine - put it on the spot and let dry one time each day for ten days.

Peggy

Latest posts

Back