Ring/nail test

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I did one of my mare in Sept to find out if she is preg or not and we got her bred by our friend's stallion and I did the nail method test and it show is a filly and then we went ahead to take a pregamare test and she is preg! and I did the nail test on my another mare which I know that she is not preg and it was correct, as standing still.

I told my mom about it and she told me that they did same thing as in humans.

They used light string and pin top of the pencil's eraser and hold it over the human belly.

If it go in circle and it is a girl and if it go backforth and it is a boy.. ;)

Can't wait to find out in 6 more month!..
default_wub.png

I hope you all will post as see if it is ALL CORRECT!!..
default_laugh.png

I did our ring tests today with a nail and cotton shoelace

of our 4 mares bred to our stallion Bow

3 fillies 1 colt (but the one filly result her blood test said not bred) can hope

then 1 mare bred to Smokin the homozygous stallion we sold says colt

1 mare we bought in foal said filly

so 6 mares = 4 fillies & 2 colts (but again 1 filly mare tested not in foal) so probably 3 fillies 2 colts

last year all 4 out of 4 sexes were correct

I just have one in foal and the string test says it's a boy! Makes no difference to me at all.

But what I found interesting is, my gelding Sam who just HAD to see what was going on,,,,,,,,he's having a girl.
default_rolleyes.gif

He sure don't look it at all.

Okay, I have something else to throw out at you. When I tested our donkey (who is a maiden) the end of the nail not attached to the string tipped up before swinging. Someone else read this thread and emailed me her results today. She used a ring and tested 5 mares. On her maiden mare the ring tipped up before starting to swing.

So my question is has anyone else noticed this? Do you think it has anything to do with being a maiden? Just curious.

I am definitely going to try this today to see what I get...although I doubt it is accurate but who knows, just interesting!!!

Okay, I have something else to throw out at you. When I tested our donkey (who is a maiden) the end of the nail not attached to the string tipped up before swinging. Someone else read this thread and emailed me her results today. She used a ring and tested 5 mares. On her maiden mare the ring tipped up before starting to swing. So my question is has anyone else noticed this? Do you think it has anything to do with being a maiden? Just curious.
Three out of four of my mares that are possibly in foal are maidens so it will be interesting to see if it tips up for me too!!

Has anyone tried the wire test to just see if a horse is in foal...it doesnt tell gender but my farrier likes to take two pieces of wire like cut from a clothes hanger and see if they cross when held over the mares. (same method to find water underground)

Well I did the test and Foxy and Lady are having fillies and Mars and Dakota are having colts but I am almost possitive that Lady is open and I had to do the test a couple times because it kept swinging back and forth and then going in a circle so apparently they are both genders
default_wink.png
but as for the maiden thing none of them made the ring tip upwards.

Does anyone know the story behind this, if there are any facts as to how this little thing came to be or if someone just made this up to keep us mare owners busy?
default_wink.png
My mom does this with pregnant women using a pencil and string. I has been between 95 and 100 percent accurate. I have used it myself on my friends, this is the first time I have heard of people using it on horses. I do not know the history but know that it has been around for a very long time!

I did it on my husband. He is having a girl!
default_wub.png
: I will announce the "blessed event" when it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back