Returning to light work after foaling?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeritageHollowFarm

Reaction score
My mare had an easy foaling, 3.5 weeks ago. I'm curious when we can start hand walking or some ground driving with just a surcingle? Not looking to hook her to cart or rush her back, would just like to start working towards it bit by bit, but in a safe way. If we need to wait a bit more that's fine too! It wouldn't be an every day thing right now. Once or twice a week at most, and short laps.

Attachments

• PXL_20240518_185637189.TS_exported_18175_1716391425436.jpg
    PXL_20240518_185637189.TS_exported_18175_1716391425436.jpg
    655.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240518_185637189.TS_exported_23483_1716391417358.jpg
    PXL_20240518_185637189.TS_exported_23483_1716391417358.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240510_130007087.jpg
    PXL_20240510_130007087.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I think hand walking sounds like a reasonable way to provide a little exercise without stressing your mare or foal.

Driving with a surcingle right now sounds like a bit much for her to focus on while her foal is so little.

Fingers crossed someone more experienced joins in with an opinion.

Mare and foal look wonderful!

I think hand walking sounds like a reasonable way to provide a little exercise without stressing your mare or foal.

Driving with a surcingle right now sounds like a bit much for her to focus on while her foal is so little.

Fingers crossed someone more experienced joins in with an opinion.

Mare and foal look wonderful!
I want to preface that she's a great mom, if Tater whinnies she's calling right back and heading to her. However she doesn't stress much over her. Tater does laps all over the place and out of view when we bring them in and turn them out, I can manhandle her, carry her, etc and Dixie is fine with it. She's a good balance of caring for her baby but also not being overprotective.

I'll stick to hand walking for now, no issues there! Thank you 😊

There are a couple things to think about. Some mares lose a lot of weight from nursing and if so you wouldn't want to add any extra "work" on top of that. Though from the pictures it doesn't look like that will be an issue for her. Some mommas are a little nervous and overprotective, she could have a hard time concentrating on you. Sounds like that won't be an issue for her either. And you are going to have a loose foal running around, crashing into things, getting tangled in your lines. If you want to get her in shape and she needs to lose some weight I would probably either do some round pen work or walk trot in hand.

There are a couple things to think about. Some mares lose a lot of weight from nursing and if so you wouldn't want to add any extra "work" on top of that. Though from the pictures it doesn't look like that will be an issue for her. Some mommas are a little nervous and overprotective, she could have a hard time concentrating on you. Sounds like that won't be an issue for her either. And you are going to have a loose foal running around, crashing into things, getting tangled in your lines. If you want to get her in shape and she needs to lose some weight I would probably either do some round pen work or walk trot in hand.
Agreed, any advice for when ground driving would be safer to begin? I realize I sound anxious, I'm not really, just looking into the future and a riding making a repetitive post haha!

Really, I wouldn't consider it safe until you can restrain the foal. If you have help and one person can work on halter training while you work with the mare it's probably fine now. Once the foal ties, you can teach her patience while tied as long as you stay close with the mare. The exercise is great for her, it's that adorable loose cannon that may think it's a great idea to dive bomb your lines that I would mostly worry about. I've seen people riding their mares this early, but if the loose foal rears on momma and gets a hoof stuck in your stirrup you suddenly have a huge problem. Or through the reins.

Really, I wouldn't consider it safe until you can restrain the foal. If you have help and one person can work on halter training while you work with the mare it's probably fine now. Once the foal ties, you can teach her patience while tied as long as you stay close with the mare. The exercise is great for her, it's that adorable loose cannon that may think it's a great idea to dive bomb your lines that I would mostly worry about. I've seen people riding their mares this early, but if the loose foal rears on momma and gets a hoof stuck in your stirrup you suddenly have a huge problem. Or through the reins.
That definitely makes sense. Loose cannon is a good reference, I've been calling her a spicy pistol 🤣

Latest posts

Back