Rescued!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Field-of-Dreams

Reaction score
My old boss is an auctioneer and they hold auctions on the last Saturday of the month. I always check their website since we both were laid off and I don't see him anymore. Occasionally they had Breyers there, I picked up a really rare Misty model once.

So, what do I see last Monday? Not a Breyer, but a Mini! Looks thin, tied to a rail. So I emailed him, it's a mare, unregistered and about 34-35" tall. Supposedly five years old and been ridden, just not bridle broke.

So, softy me drives out Saturday in a pouring rainstorm with the "baby" trailer. (We call our 4-horse mini trailer the baby trailer, as opposed to the "big" horse trailer
default_biggrin.png
) Mare wasn't there when I got there, but did show up about half an hour later.

She IS thin. Rough feet. Hogged off mane and tail. And she sure didn't look five to me. Asked my old boss, he said they can't afford to feed her, that's why she was there. Dad and daughter brought her in, daughter looks upset. I asked to stick her, she wouldn't stand still very long, I got 34.25".

When she went off, no one wanted her. Minimum bid was $200. I couldn't leave her there.... so she came home with me. Bad me...

She's sweet, walked right over the board in the doorway of the auction house, and took all of ten seconds to decide to get on the baby trailer.

She looks MUCH better already in these pix. It's a wonder what food does...

Introducing: Lily!!

She looks palomino, definitely pinto, has a blue eye and a brown one, so not cremello. White feet so she must have stockings under there somewhere...

Hopefully she is 34" or under, I'd love to hardship her in. She moves very nicely and would probably make a nice driving horse!

So, does annyone else think she's not five? I'm thinking about two.... I did look at her teeth, but she was fussy and I didn't want to upset her any more...

Lucy

She looks like she'll clean up really nice, can't wait to see pics in a month or so when she's filled out some (although, it'll probably be spring before we really see what she looks like, as woolie season is coming on strong, now).

She does look young, but it could be due to how thin she is.

She could be five and just skinny/weedy, but like you I'm thinking more like three or four. She's LOVELY though! What bone structure.
default_wub.png
She'd make a bang-up CDE horse (for which she does not need papers) and it sounds like she could be registered pinto.

Keep us up to date on this one! I'll be interested to see where she goes.
default_yes.gif

Leia

She is beautiful. I think you found something really good. Good luck with her.

Very nice!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Congratulations on your new edition!

Liz R.

Congrats to Lily for coming home with you!
default_yes.gif

She's a nice girl! She looks young to me too, but you never know.

CONGRATULATIONS She looks nice, and her tail is just about hitting the ground!, you never know what you might find at an auction.
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
you never know what you might find at an auction.
default_wub.png
That's certainly true, but I can tell you that I never find anything that looks that good at an auction (well, not in minis, I've seen some outstanding saddle horses). I only seem to find pathetic, skinny, conformational train wrecks (or obese, previously foundered train wrecks) ; which I have still been tempted to save, almost did that last week, but someone bid against me, and it wasn't one of the regular horse trader type buyers, so I let him go.

Good save.
default_smile.png
She looks correct and potentially very nice! Look forward to seeing her next spring..

Jan

I think you did good!! She's a very pretty mare! Too bad you can't find out more info on her background. As pretty as she is you'd think she'd be regsitered! Could be once you get her feet done she'll measure under 34 in. Good luck with her.....and bless you for taking her in!!

Well I like Lily - too bad about her papers cuz she looks really nice! Thanks for bringing her home!

Latest posts

Back