Rescued a fawn

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmt

Reaction score
10 am this morning we got a knock on our door. It was our mail lady and she was in tears. She said right by our house there was a fawn on the side of the road-it looked like he had been hit (we live next to a busy highway) but was still alive. We are known for taking in orphans here so she thought maybe we could help it. Walked over and there he was on the shoulder and people had to move to the next lane to avoid him. I'm sure he'd been there all night and morning and no one had stopped to help. I saw his twin on the other side and unfortunately she was already dead. Mom was nowhere to be found. I ran him to the vet-he was a little fighter which gave me hope. Vet said he has a bit of road rash but nothing serious. His eye was hit and was a little sore and swollen so we are medicating it. He also has a broken jaw on one side. He does have a good sucking reflex so hopefully he'll be able to suck with it broken. If not, my vet sewed a nose tube in for us so we can tube feed him until it heals enough that he can eat. His little nose is bleeding due to the roots on his teeth being banged up. We are not out of the clear yet, but so far so good. If you could send the little guy some prayers it would be greatly appreciated.

We have named him Merry after our mail lady, Mary who was compassionate enough to get him some help. Here are a few pictures taken while he was sleeping-he is living in our porch for now
default_smile.png

890960d3.jpg

77360236.jpg

Poor little baby. What a tough way to start life. Bless you for helping him.
wub.gif

Sending God Light his way.........

Have you contacted a Wildlife Rehab person? Most humane society shelters will have the name of one in your area. Just throwing that out to you because in most states it's illegal to have a deer/fawn without a license.

Thank you all! We just contacted a wildlife shelter and they are going to get back to us. We will find a way to take care of him and if we can't we'll find someone who can.

Thank you and be sure to send my thanks to your mail lady for caring!!

People.......ugh!

Pam

we have raised one.

this is what we did and it worked great...

cows milk cut in half ( per our DNR) if you can not get goats milk

warm rag to wipe down his back ( their moms do this in the wild)

wipe his butt and other part to make sure he is going to the bathroom

feed every 2 to 4 hours.

if you are thinking about keeping him when he is strong enough you might want to have a rubber band put on him. Bucks can get very mean.

hope this helps

please keep us posted

Update on sweet little Merry:

He is not doing as well as we had hoped. We believe he has an injury to his intestines. The vet said there is little we can do for him. For now he is resting outside under some yard trees. He seems to feel safe and at home there.

Bless the poor little guy

Oh no..... I hope he makes it. Maybe he is just really sore from the impact and hopefully not some internal damage....... Bless you all for trying to help him. He sure is cute! How sad...

Keep us posted!

I am so sorry. I look at him and my heart breaks. He is beautiful and thank you for helping him. I can't ever imagine hurting something like that. As a baby or an adult.

Thank you everyone! Isn't he such a sweetie? He is doing much better now. Yesterday when I thought he was going it turns out he just had really bad gas
default_laugh.png
He is doing great! He has been eating grandmas flowers on the porch so today. We put him outside so he could run around and eat some grass. He does pretty darn well for havng a broken jaw! He loves being outside and likes top sleep under the trees. So cute. I'll put up some more pics in a little bit!

Thanks again for all the prayers-Merry needed them and they were much appreciated

That is AWESOME news!
default_aktion033.gif
Looking forward to more pics!

Oh so glad to hear it!! Is he getting some type of milk substitute? How old do you think he is? Doesnt look too old. Will look forward to more pics

Laurie, he is getting a milk substitute that my vet gave me. She sad it was good for rumanents. That being said, she was open about not knowing exactly what he was going to need because she had never dealt with an orphan fawn before. So if anyone has suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

The vet didn't know how old he was but I'm guessing probably around a month or more? Deer around here usually have their babies around early May. He's not less than a month I know that for sure. He's pretty well filled out and knows to go for the trees and long grass-had learned a lot from his mommy.

Here is a quick picture I took of him earlier today. He has the whole yard to run around in but he loves to sleep in the long grass. Will try to get a picture of him running around tomorrow. It's the cutest thing!

P.s.-excuse my typing errors. I use my phone to do posts and I have big thumbs
default_smile.png

84f672b7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back