Rescue Mare Passes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllusiveHussler

Reaction score
I adopted Lucy (Grosshill EKs Illusive Hussler) October 28th, 2005. She was one of the pregnant mares in the Upton case.

She foaled a beautiful healthy, cheeky filly on May 11, 2006.

About 3 1/2 weeks ago Lucy became very ill. It was first thought colic, but then it was thought she was fighting a virus of some sort from a crackling in her lungs. She was seen at home on a Wednesday afternoon. She was given banamine and was doing better that night.

Thursday my mom and I took her into the clinic because she was worse that morning. They ran blood but nothing was really raising any red flags. She came home that night.

Friday morning she was horrible. Not even interested in her feed so she went back to the clinic and stayed there...for 10 days...

She was put on GastroGard thinking she had a horrible case of ulcers. It helped a little but then symptoms persisted so there was an under lying problem.

She was on IV fluids, blood tests run atleast every other day, an abdomen tab was done, the vets tried x-rays but nothing showed anything. We treated for impaction but nothing was really moving out and everything sounded to be working fine anyways.

Nothing we did was making her 100%. We could only stabalize her.

Sunday, the last day at the clinic, she went downhill fast. She was rushed to the clinic in New Hampshire where they ran more blood tests and put her on more fluids with added calcium and potassium.

She could not stand, she could not sit up. At 3:30am she seemed to be doing better. She was standing and interested in food and saying hi...a while later she went down hill again. She became distended and as they vets were trying to releave the bloat Lucy died...

Lucy ended up having the worst impaction the vet had ever seen. She also had a disfunctional nerve in the intestine which made it so she couldn't pass manure. She would have had to be put down due to this anyway because she would always get impaction, nothing could fix it.

I tried to give Lucy the best life I could for the year and a half I owned her. She was just about to turn 9 when this all began. We had the entire vet clinic in town checking on her and working on her and giving ideas. They did their best.

It has been a little over 2 weeks since her passing. I miss her so much. She was such a loving mare, even after all she lived through. She followed me every where. Her filly, Legz, was for sale but is now staying forever with me. I want to keep the littlest bit of Lucy I can. Lucy is burried in our backyard next to the paddock.

She was very much loved. I just hope she knew that.

IMG_0124_edited.JPG

Lucy-Moose%202.JPG

Lucy4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:no: :no: Soooo sorry for your loss. By the look in her eyes I'm sure she knows she was well loved, she sure looks good in those pictures.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
: .Good luck with Legz
default_smile.png

Ash :saludando:

I am so sorry to hear about your Lucy. She was beautiful and I am sure she could feel how much you loved her. Hugs to you and that sweet little girl that you are keeping.

So sorry for your loss. But Lucy looks so proud in the pictures, because she knew she was loved.

How very fortunate that Lucy found you!

I know all the love and care that you gave her for this past year and a half, showed her that people can be loving and caring. I know that your love erased all of the bad things that happened to her in the past, and I know that she is happy to know you are loving and keeping her little baby. :aktion033:

Bless you
default_yes.gif
:

I'm so sorry that you lost your mare but she will live on in her foal. I can feel your pain through your words and I understand after all she went thru in the Upton case, it's a shame that her life had to be cut short but she will live on thru her filly and that will help you. Her memory will be in your heart forever.

Joyce L

*I'm crying*

Yes she knew she was loved! I can see how sweet she was. I'm so sorry you lost her! She was blessed to have had your love and happiness at the end of her life. I'm glad you have her daughter to hug. Lucy will always be with you.

I am so sorry for your loss of that sweet mare. You tried hard but. sometimes there is no winning.

default_yes.gif
: She knew she was loved by you!!! Legs is her precious "thank you" for making the last of her life better than she had been having. Her spirit lives on for you and your spirit gave her peace.

Chelsea, I am so glad you are going to be able to keep Legz. Believe me, Lucy was so very grateful to have lived with you for the final 19 months of her life. All of the horses from that case had that in common. You can feel it when you are with them, and see it in their eyes. You truly did 'rescue' her. You gave her comfort and safety and the peace of knowing that there was indeed another meal coming, and shelter when she needed it. But beyond that, you loved her, and she loved you back, even though humans had not been worthy of her love before you came in to her life. Her loving gift to you is her beautiful filly. Do you have a current picture of Legz you could post? I'm sure everyone would enjoy seeing Lucy's 'legacy'.

I promise that the sadness will ease, and you will be left with wonderful memories, and the knowledge that you and your Mom performed what is known in the Jewish religion as a 'mitzvah' - a very good deed.

Thank you for adopting Lucy.

Cindy

Cindy Moses,President

Northeast Miniature Horse Club and Rescue

www.northeastminis.org

You fought so hard for her. I can "hear" the pain in your words. Of course Lucy felt that love! They know when we're trying to help them. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad that she left you with a filly to remind you of her.

You did your absolute best for Lucy, what a loving home she had. You are a real trooper. I know you have a heavy heart but you have to give yourself the biggest praise for taking Lucy in and giving her the best of care and love. Thank goodness you have her baby, what a great memory of your little Lucy.

I'm so sorry she's gone. What a pretty girl she was. As surely as animals know fear (and what to fear) they know love and where it comes from. I'm sure she loved you, not only because you saved her, but because of your love for her. Please post pictures of her filly.

Ph my dear I can see why it took a while to post this. How sad but at least she's in no more pain.

And thank God for the little one.

Bless you for all you did for this mare.

Maxine

Oh how sad she had to go. But like everyone said you have her baby girl she left you with. What a loving wonderful gift. I am sorry it hurts so much.

I am so sorry. I am so teared up right now. I am sure she knew she was loved. I can feel the love so I could only imagine how she felt. So sorry.

Latest posts

Back