Rescue Mare Nearing Due Date?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy's mom

Reaction score
Ok, many of you read my post about my new rescue mare that came from New Holland! We were only told she was exposed to a stallion, no dates or anything else! The plan has been to have a preg test after her quarantine period is up after next week.

Today I noticed her hind legs might look a little stiff when she was walking across the yard. Quite possibly my imagination though.

Next I definitely noticed that she was acting very ancy (for lack of a better word, I can barely think straight). She has just been walking circles around the yard. She did eat her breakfast and has been picking at the hay but in general has been walking around a lot more then usual. Almost like she can't get comfy.

I went out to check on her after watching from the windows all morn. I am 99 percent sure I felt movement!!!!! I checked and rechecked to make sure she wasn't just tightening up her muscles but I am pretty darn sure I felt a foal in there!

Then when I was back in the house looking out the window she was standing with her butt facing me, she took a deep breath that made her belly round and hard and I swear I saw something "poke" her side from in there!

I'm excited and nervous at the same time! I have lots of horsey experience BUT absolutely NO experience with foaling!!!

Please send lots of opinions and advice!!!!

Could it be that she is JUST starting to feel movement and that is what has her out of sorts? Is it more likely she is getting close? Her udder sure doesn't feel big or full and it's not dripping.

Big problem is this, because she is just here in my backyard for quarantine she only has my little tool shed for shelter (I want to say it's 5'X7' but will measure and get back to you). I have seen her lie down in there but not sprawl out! Also, we are in the middle of a snowstorm!!!!! Ugh!!!!!

OK, nervously waiting for your responses!

Thanks A Bunch!

Tammy

Hi Tammy

Thats too bad you dont have any dates to go by. Sounds like she is in the later stages of her pregnancy. Its very common late in the pregnancy to see the foal moving and see it sticking out the sides. Sometimes you can even tell its a hoof etc. Especially for Maiden mares this makes them very uncomfortable. Most (but not all!) mares will bag up. The most reliable predictor is a hard hot bag. Foaling is usually within 8 hrs once you get that.

Sending good wishes!

Kay

Thank you Kay for your response! I'll keep checking that udder!
default_yes.gif

I have no doubt now that it was indeed a foal I felt and saw as it has happened numerous times today!!

Should I get all of her shots done asap? Remember, I have NO history on her at all but by the looks of her feet I'd say it's been a while since she's seen good care! Would anyone still have either an untrasound or rectal done to determine when she is due or would you just be ready now and keep watching?

At what point do foal movements START?

I have her on 2 cups of Mare and Foal 2Xday plus free choice hay, should I up her at this point?

Any tips on what I should have on hand?

Thanks so much

Tammy

We bought a mare that we had no info on and we were told She was taken from the herd she was in and bred to an outside stud. But, there were no dates given. She was delivered to my place on May 16th and foaled on June 17th. We watched her like a hawk. The morning she foaled I got up early and went out to feed her. She was fine with no signs of foaling. I came in and sat at my computer and left the back door open. About 1/2 hour later I heard some banging out back. I thought "what is that stupid goat doing". The banging continued and I went to see whay was going on. The goat wasn't doing anything and looked at me like "whats your problem?". I went around to the stall and she was down with the foals nose and front legs were sticking out. The long and short of it is that she showed no signs of labor just 30 minuts before he was born.

We bought a mare that we had no info on and we were told She was taken from the herd she was in and bred to an outside stud. But, there were no dates given. She was delivered to my place on May 16th and foaled on June 17th. We watched her like a hawk. The morning she foaled I got up early and went out to feed her. She was fine with no signs of foaling. I came in and sat at my computer and left the back door open. About 1/2 hour later I heard some banging out back. I thought "what is that stupid goat doing". The banging continued and I went to see whay was going on. The goat wasn't doing anything and looked at me like "whats your problem?". I went around to the stall and she was down with the foals nose and front legs were sticking out. The long and short of it is that she showed no signs of labor just 30 minuts before he was born.

Oh God, that doesn't make me feel any better!! lol

Tammy

She has LOTS of movement today, is that a sign that she is still far away from her due date?

Also, I measured the shed I have her in, it is set up as a run in right now but tomorrow we will fix it so I can lock her in at night, it's only 6'X8' and she is about 36.5" tall, is that dangerously small for her to foal in if the time comes before I move her to the farm to a bigger stall????(remember I have her here under quarantine)

Not many responses, I am really looking for help here!

Tammy

First, let me stress that I'm NO EXPERT, and definitely not a vet! But I've foaled several mares over the years, and it's been my experience that when they get really close to foaling you see little or no movement. It sounds like the baby may be moving into position, and that's what's making the mare uncomfortable. But I'd still watch her CLOSE! With these little gals the only thing you know for sure is that NOTHING'S FOR SURE!
default_wacko.png
Good luck with her!

Melba

If she is close, and without dates it is really hard to tell, there are several things you need to get ready. You will need towels and lots of them because it is so cold. you will need plastic/rubber med gloves from the drug store. You need some sterile scissors, gentle iodine, and a small disposable cup to put it in and some lubricant like KY jelly. You will need a foal blanket or a thick small sweatshirt to put on the foal after it is dry to keep it warm. You need a charged cell phone and the vet's number and the number of someone else who could help in an emergancy. You may need some string to tie off the cord but don't tie it off or cut it. too soon. There is a transfer of blood from the mare to the foal which is important so don't cut the cord. If you have to break it yourself, pull it gently while not putting pressure on either end. You will need some good lighting if possible and some clean straw for fresh bedding after the delivery. There will be a lot of water/fluid when her water breaks. Unless the foal is out of position (which is called a dystocia) the procedure should not take more than about 20 to 30 minutes. If the mare is down and pushing for a while and nothing is happening, CALL THE VET!!! Don't wait!!! Even on the phone, most vets can advise you and help you to stay calm and do what you can until they arrive. Any breeder can tell you horror stories but the most important thing is be as prepared as you can and stay calm. Don't wait to get medical help. The successes far out weigh the bad deliveries and seeing those little ones out romping and running is such a treat. After the foal arrives, it should stand within the hour and should nurse and poop and urinate within a couple of hours. The colostrum loses it's value after about 12 hours but the foal needs nourrishment asap after they stand. If the foal isn't nursing, CALL THE VET!!!!! Sometimes you can coax them by squirting some of mom's milk on their face in and around their mouth or on your fingers near mom's teat then gently transfer their mouth to mom. This is critical. Not nursing can kill a foal. Also, and very important, as soon as the foal is out and the cord is severed, dunk the stump into iodine to help prevent infection from entering the foal's body through the navel stump.

Other people on this forum have been so helpful to us in the past years of foaling and are more than willing to help others. I commend you for taking in a maiden in distress and then being willing to deliver her baby is exemplary. I pray that all goes well with the delivery whenever it happens and that the new little one will bring nothing but joy and pleasure.

Good Luck and Happy New Year!!

Please don't panic. If there is LOTS of movement, the foal is not even close to the birth canal.

I know at this time of year when horses are all fuzzy it's difficult to see if the foal is dropped or not. Be sure to check her butt muscles for softness. And of course, her bag. If she's had a foal before, she should develop a bag for you, AND create some milk, which will be very helpful. The liquid from her teats will be very sticky if she's ready.

Since shes a bigger mare if you have a vet with small hands they may palp her but many vets will not just because minis are so small. I think really you are going to have to go by signs watching her that she is getting closer. As they get closer they really start to rub like crazy. Especially their butt. They also start leaning their butt on walls to relive the pressure of the foal.

That is a little small for a mare that size. My worry would be if you have any trouble and need a vet out thats not much room to work in.

Keep in mind miniatures sometimes have trouble getting out of the bag so if at all possible you need to be there when she foals so you can break the bag if needed.

I think its easy if you think 1,2,3 when she foals. By one hour foal should be up and standing and walking (although wobbly) by hour 2 they should be nursing, by 3 they should urinate and pass meconium. Now thats just a loose outline. Some will do things quicker and some a little slower. But you really want them nursing by hour 2 if not sooner.

Most give vaccinations the last month but since you have no idea you may want to go ahead and vaccinate her but please call your vet and ask their opinion.

BTW, I am in Danvers, MA if anyone is close by and wants to have a peek!
default_biggrin.png

Thanks for all the advice that is coming in now! I am reading and re-reading!!! I will be calling the vet tomorrow morn to get her out to do shots and check her out!

I am also desperately searching for a larger shed to put in my yard!

I will also be ordering some foal blankets, a heat lamp and "the complete book of foaling" tomorrow! (unless anyone who is close by wants to lend anything!
default_smile.png

~Tammy

Do you have a garage where you could park the cars outside and move her inside? I've heard/seen people here on the forum that have put up panels in the garage. How much longer is her quarantine?

Latest posts

Back