Relocation complete

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bess Kelly

Reaction score
I've know for a while that there is a "family" of skunks in/on/around my farm.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

About 2 yrs ago, I found a den and after a good flooding (Yes, by me) they decided to move. OK, I admit that I am not fond of finding this lovely animal strolling about at night while I'm out feeding -- after all, I have a "tuxedo" barn cat! -- they look amazingly alike at first glance, especially since this skunk did not have the usual full stripe on the back. Fast forward. This Spring I see a pair of skunk scooting across the lower pasture at dusk. Hmmmm, guess they are still near.

About 2 wks ago I'm driving a bale of hay to the lower/back fields, it's just turned dark, and there is a gorgeous little skunk ahead of me
default_biggrin.png
This one was probably 3/4 white...entire tail, full back and about 1/2 way down both sides is white. First thought, a splash overo skunk!
default_laugh.png
Obviously a young one, small, etc. I'm thinking.......ooooh, gotta be more! So, now I'm on guard at night for such visitors as I sure don't want to be perfumed! OR have my min pin sprayed --- she's a really good mouser!!

I'm out there doing water/hay chores this AM, it's like 8 AM, so not an issue. Molly, the minpin, is assisting! She barks anxiously and begins investigating at a collection of some left over pieces of 4X4 posts and 4" PVC pipe. Called for her to stop & she continued to bark and signal. Thinking of a snake (morbid thought!) I went to look. Hear

a little thump, thump. Well, snakes don't do that, so I figured hey, a toad is in the pipe, again called Molly off. NO WAY! She's growling, etc. I went to uplift the pipe to dump the toad....and realize that I can't see all the way thru the pipe AND there's a little black face with tiny white stripe, looking back from several inches in
default_wacko.png
. Suddenly, the thump, thump made sense and about that time, the scent confirmed it.

I quickly laid as piece of 4X4 at each end, went inside and got two caps for the 3' of pipe.
default_rolleyes.gif
REMEMBERING that forum members said they can't spray if they can't lift the tail, I felt ok. Put the self selected container in my truck and zipped down the road about a mile.......it's now released into a nice area with water, bugs, trees, berries and HOPEFULLY the 50 acres of corn, and 50 acres of woods will keep it happy and as a new resident!
default_wub.png

NOW -- where's there's two, probably more..........
default_sad.png
Nice morning!

Enjoyed reading your story. The part about the skunk being a overo made me laugh. Hope you get your skunk population under control. They are cute, but I prefer not to have them around.

Enjoyed reading your story. The part about the skunk being a overo made me laugh. Hope you get your skunk population under control. They are cute, but I prefer not to have them around.

Good job,Bess. My significant other grew up on a farm and had lots of experience with skunks-even had a pet that they bottle raised who lived under the porch and would not spray family members.He said that skunks must have their feet on the ground to spray.They used to sneak up on them and grab them and pick them by the tail and carry them home.Tricked the city boy uncle and took him skunk hunting.Told him to sneak up and grab which he did, but he drug the skunk and it got him.Made him ride home in the back of the truck, strip in the yard and bury his clothes and wash in canned tomatoes.It was his last skunk hunt.

My Hero ! ! I am not fond of the cute little things but don't want any for company either. Good luck in finding the rest, I hope its just as successful and they love their new digs.

Latest posts

Back