Reece sale Prices?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffian

Reaction score
Anybody get the prices? I especially am interested in what #10 went for. I watched until about 8, and the cam froze and I had to go get horses ready to show tomorrow.

I thought some of the prices were pretty decent (up until 8ish) but they still no saled most of them.

As usual, I felt that some good horses brought good prices but that there were still some deals to be had. I had the ok from the hubby to bid on two lots but sat on my hands, and now of course I'm regretting it. I hope the facility gets their Internet figured out by next year, though, it was no fun watching a frozen screen for half the sale.

Heather was getting quite owly by the middle to end of the sale because people on the live chat kept reminding her that the internet was down. Half of my favorite lots I couldn't bid on. Of course some brought good prices. It was about half and half sale and no sale. Some nice horses. They had one really pregnant mare that was bagged up good as she was being bid on. Felt bad for her. It was a good sale. They did a good job but just wish the stream wouldn't have kept freezing. That was the only thing I have to complain about. And tack was not allowed to be shipped at the tack sale. So things went cheap because only the live bidders could get it. And I didn't know anyone at the sale to get stuff for me.

I bought a mini through a Reece sale back there 2 years ago and I got what I felt was a good deal at $600 as she was confirmed in foal. Somewhere between there and home (California) she slipped her foal. The consigner (Cherryville) did offer a live foal guarantee but after paying $700 to get her home there was no way I was going to ship her back to Texas for breeding. We bred her to our stallion but that was the mare & foal we lost this year to dystocia. I too though there were some good buys but a lot of no sales. There were a lot I would have been interested in if I had the money but even if I did, the live feed was always frozen and I could not see a lot of the ones I liked. And yes, poor Heather was getting a bit stressed and grumpy, not that I blame her. I do think the sale might have been a bit more successful if the internet feed had not been acting up.

while I wrote down all the prices, you should be able to see them posted on the catalog = they normally update the catalog with the sale prices or those that are still available due to no-sales or not meeting reserves. You can then negotiate with the seller behind the scenes.

I purchased 3 - well actually 4 - as one mare has a filly at side. Two are taller than I normally like BUT they have the bloodlines and conformation (best I could tell of course) that it was worth taking a chance on as I have very small stallions to put on them.

I was aghast at some of the horribly low prices and happy to see alot no-saled as well as thrilled to see some climb up there where I felt they should have started. Everyone talks about the industry prices and when good horses go for 500 or don't even get bids - that surely doesn't help. I am totally shocked at the two Buckeroo sons in the sale - - just disgraceful after Buckeroos passing ........... perhaps the live audience saw something that we didn't online and their faults weren't publicized? that's my only hope.

Don't want to sound hypicritical of course as yes, I did purchase - by taking advantage of low prices but also feel the ones I bid on helped to bring a better price too even if I didnt end up with it.

I bid on the pregnant one and while she went higher than I wanted - I mainly bailed cuz I was worried about her foaling there and the travel afterwards.

Several times I wanted to bid and couldn't get through - can't believe they only had 5 lines for a sale of that magnitude. When I did get through the people on the phone were quite friendly and helpful and made it a pleasant experience.

I too had alot of difficulty in the feed online - and know that it was not Marestare issues but the service at that facility. I was ready so many times to just stop watching and take my money elsewhere - which is what maybe others did. I agree they may have done more sales if the online service hadn't been so faulty. Again no fault of Heather/Marestare.

Even if you saw the preview of horses ahead of time - which yes I did ..... but my hubby didn't so when it was time to bid - he wanted to see the horse during the sale and we had frozen screens at times - so I didn't bid not being able to show him what I wanted. LOL I missed out on some great opportunities and maybe also could have driven the price up had I been bidding also.

I know they put alot of time and money into these sales and its just so sad to see those low prices or a horse not even getting a starting bid. Surely makes it all the more difficult for ALL of us to try to sell off our farms. Sme people out there will base the going rate now on these sale prices and think all farms should be offering their stock for 500 bucks. At that rate, we'll all go out of business............ just saying ...............

Congratulations to all who got a great deal at the sale - I'm anxious to see my new purchases and hope they are what they were represented to be. I know that my previous purchases over the years from Reece sales have exceeded my expectations and are still here with me today flourishing and producing fabulous babies. I will continue to support those sales.

First I want to apologize for the quality of the feed. We are 90% sure we have isolated what the issues were and we will work on that for the next event at that facility. It was very disappointing for us as well because we strive to bring you the best feed that we can.

Second I was manning the camera - that grumpy Heather was my son who was beyond frustrated trying to man the chat, the sound and the internet that had continual drops in quality. No excuses, just clarifying. So sorry for that confusion.

There were over 170 people watching so I know the feed went out, but there were definite issues at times with freezing and dropping. Again - my apologies. We are limited by the abilities of our technology.

I will get the sale prices posted asap. I am not sure if I caught them all because I was also giving bidder numbers to those who waited until the sale started. Hang in there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI, I am using my daughters iPad with 3G to acess the Internet. After 36 hours with no Internet connection with our home pc, we figured it was our motum. After talking to our neighbor, who also has no Internet, we called verizon, they stated that most of pa (through verizon) is affected as well as some outlying areas. So we are without home Internet service based on complications they are having.Just makes me wonder how many potential viewers it effected and if there are other Internet providers that work hand in hand or are sister companies that have been affected.

I followed the sale through lot number 26 and then had to go feed and care for my own horses. I missed what several of them went for with the freezing up. I was sad to see so many beautiful horses get such low bids too, many were no saled. It was heartening to see the buckskin yearling colt, grandson of Buckeroo, go for $6500 (lot #23) and the next one, a mare with a colt at her side went for $4000. But a couple of mares sold for $400 (lot #17 and #19), and a few were no saled with bids at $200, $300, $900, and $1200 and $2300. Later in the sale I caught a few more, saw a beautiful mare that is trained to drive, with a filly at her side, sell for $1400. Most of this had to have been very disappointing for the sellers.

As some one that has been there and done that it is really sad when you must no sale a horse. From the sellers prospective it is a total lose of valuable money and time. With consignment fee of $200, no sale fee of $50, the prep time, travel time, lodging, Vet call out twice or three times, coggins, health certificate, and if selling a mare in foal you need it Vet confirmed, No one wants to no sell, but at the same time you can't give your valuable horses away, especially if they have already proven themselves in the show ring. I too tried to watch but kept getting cut off, shame! I'm really interested in learning the sale prices though, and the no sales. It's just business sense to keep up with sale prices here on the East as there aren't enough good sales here.

I watched about the last half of the sale. And although I did think some horses sold for below their value, I also think many brought what they should have, and a couple I was surprised at the amount and actually thought it was high based on market conditions. So everyone has their own perspective. But I still believe that proven horses with good pedigrees, good conformation and that are presented well bring their sellers a reasonable amount. We've seen a lot of auctions over the last few years: website-only auctions (not live), live auctions (no internet streaming) and ones like the Reece sale yesterday. One thing still holds true for me - the Reece family, with the help of Heather, put on one heck of a sale!
default_aktion033.gif
The horses were extremely well presented, all in very good condition and all clean and clipped with nice halters on. The person doing the pedigree information was well-informed and knew what he was talking about and the auctioneer did his job as well. I didn't see ANY skin and bones, unclipped, unbathed, poorly conformed horses. They have some standards obviously and that is what will keep this sale as one of the few premier sales held each year. If you want your horse to bring as much as possible, regardless of the market, this would be the sale to consign to. And no, I'm not friends with the Reeces, don't even know them personally, but it's just my opinion from what I've seen over the years.

Congratulations to all the sellers and buyers! I'd say it was the best sale we've seen in a while.

Parmela, you are so right, the Reeces put on one great sale, and Toni is a stickler for detail, every thing must be just so. If you need to consign one of her sales is the way to go. I only wish we could have more upscale sales like this in the east and also feature the AMHR horses as well as the AMHA. It cost plenty to put on a sale on this scale, not cheap by any means, that is why the high end consignment fees. Maybe some day in the future we can have more sales like this one that also includes AMHR as well. It's just such a shame that in this economy that some sellers must no sale such nice horses.

I watched this and mostly enjoyed except for the freezing and time lapse. I was trying to convince my hubby that it was a good idea that I bid on my favourites but alas he didnt fall for it lol. I do plan at some stage to get myself a couple of nice horses from the US but I might have to sit tight a while but will be keeping a close eye on the this sale. Also its a shame that the tack sale was only for people there as I would have also bought a shot of stuff from auction. Maybe its somthing that could be considered for the future. I am aware of postage charges as I am always purchasing tack from the US so I know I need to add it on.

Please keep us poor plebs in mind for the next auction (pretty please)

I watched about the last half of the sale. And although I did think some horses sold for below their value, I also think many brought what they should have, and a couple I was surprised at the amount and actually thought it was high based on market conditions. So everyone has their own perspective. But I still believe that proven horses with good pedigrees, good conformation and that are presented well bring their sellers a reasonable amount. We've seen a lot of auctions over the last few years: website-only auctions (not live), live auctions (no internet streaming) and ones like the Reece sale yesterday. One thing still holds true for me - the Reece family, with the help of Heather, put on one heck of a sale!
default_aktion033.gif
The horses were extremely well presented, all in very good condition and all clean and clipped with nice halters on. The person doing the pedigree information was well-informed and knew what he was talking about and the auctioneer did his job as well. I didn't see ANY skin and bones, unclipped, unbathed, poorly conformed horses. They have some standards obviously and that is what will keep this sale as one of the few premier sales held each year. If you want your horse to bring as much as possible, regardless of the market, this would be the sale to consign to. And no, I'm not friends with the Reeces, don't even know them personally, but it's just my opinion from what I've seen over the years.

Congratulations to all the sellers and buyers! I'd say it was the best sale we've seen in a while.
Parmela, I forwarded your post to Toni Reece. Choaked up.... she asked me to send you a Big thank you from Reece Family Miniatures,, "Awesome, makes it all worthwhile!!" ")

Magic

There was a Buckaroo son that sold for 2,000. A nice little cremello, pretty headed. (Or close to that price)

I was thinking about the sale again today, and while I totally agree that it's one of the standout auctions of the year, there's one area where I think they could improve prices with little extra effort. I know the stage doesn't really allow for a demonstration of the performance horses, but maybe they could ask consigners with driving horses to send a link to a YouTube video of the horse in action that they could add to the horse's entry in the online catalogue. We bought a wonderful driving mare from the sale last year, and I feel pretty confident that we wouldn't have gotten quite the deal we did if others had been able to see her beautiful movement.

If I remember right, that little cremello Buckaroo colt was gorgeous, but there were no papers on file and nothing was mentioned about them. If there was some sort of registration guarantee I believe he would have sold for much more. There were a couple of those that went through the sale and the price went accordingly even though the horses were really nice.

Latest posts

Back