Red Eyes and blindness in new foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylight_minis

Reaction score
This has to be one of the unluckiest foals ever. born on friday 13th. Lax in the tendons. His knees actually bent backwards in the front legs. Had to keep them wrapped. First day he was unable to get the nursing part so had to bottle feed which he didnt mind. Finally got him nursing on his own. The bandages just keep slipping down to his knees. I figure at this point they are more of a hinderence. His legs are a bit better this afternoon so left the bandages off for the night will definally check on him first thing in the morning to see if they need to be put back on. He some how managed to get out of the stall where his mom was last night so he spent the night alone. I noticed today that his eyes are red. Which i looked online and it says it should clear up on his own. He really cant see and just turns circles and oddly only goes right with his head tilted so his ears are to the inside and nose is to the outside. I'm guessing the blindness is due to the blood vessels in his eyes being dialated. I looked up dummy foal but he doesnt fit any of those categories. He was a bit early and when he was half way out he seemed to get stuck and his mom rolled about which he was kind of whipped around i did rush in and make her not do that but he did get wacked on the ground before i could get there.
sad.gif
He seems to be formed perfectly other than these minor misshaps. He's got nice head, even bite, long neck and long legs. Just having a rough start. The red eyes kind of freaks me out any one have experience with this? I did call the vet but havent heard back yet. I want to see if the vet can check him over in the morning. Thankfully he's the last foal of the year. If i can just get him up and running it will have been a wonderful foaling year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I have no experience with this but just wanted to wish you well with the foal. Have you done a forum search? It seems like others have reported on red eyes in foals. And there is another thread about leg issues going right now. Good luck!

If you have penicillin liquid, put a couple of drop in his eye.

This might help untill the vet can see him.

Good luck

This does help with blindness

This is another situation like the other new thread where they are asking about tendon laxity and leg wrapping in a six week old foal. My girl had a few of those problems when she was born. I was lucky enough that a lot of the members here had mentioned each of these problems and their solutions. My foal was stuck, one front leg was pinned all the way back and I couldn't find it, so she was delivered with it back. It was bent backward at the knee and hurt her the first day. Vet told me she would be fine just keep her stalled for 2 to 3 days to let it rest. He was right, the next day it was normal. But that first day, I cringed watching her limp and hobble on that crooked leg! Her eyes were both bloodshot also because she was stuck and overdue, so she was a well filled out baby when we FINALLY popped her out! Others on here have had the redness (probably due to broken blood vessels from the pressure during birth jmho) goes away, is not that unusual, and many have had foals blinded by it temporarily.

Poor little guy! Yes the vet should check him out, but beware, even tho I have a fantastic vet, he is just not aware of the uniqueness of things that mini foals sometimes face and will blow it off. Here is the best place to get advice to go along with whatever your vet prescribes.

Good luck, wish we could see some pictures!Be sure to read the other thread we mentioned, I put a link in there.

Thanks ya'll I read somewhere about the eyes appearing black at birth well. I looked at the pics i took of him and he did have the black eyes. I didnt really think much of it since some foals i've had were born with dark eyes but they lightened right up. Its just after him getting out of the stall and being by himself for who knows how long over night and Then noticing the red eyes this morning i was freaking out thinkinng it might be from being separated from his mom too long. His eyes do seem to stick out a bit with one side being worse than the other. I just figured he had doe eyes but i guess its from the swelling of the blood vessels. This boy is a new one on me. I also fear that he may havve asperated some milk cuz he snores when he sleeps and seems to have a clicking sound when he's breathing. On Saturday afternoon i noticed he had milk coming out of his nose when he nursed. Vet said his pallet was probably as floppy as his legs. It hasnt happened again since that day. Well one thing i can say is when everything is said and done he'll be well handled thats for sure lol. He just snores away while i do his legs.

His eye lashes dont turn inward they are okay. There hasnt been any tearing just today was a little bit but nothing to be worried about i figure was probably more from knats than anything.

Yep i did fix the stall so he couldnt slip back under it. I'll try to get some pics tomarrow.

I don't have any experience with the eye problems, but I had a foal born a couple years ago with a front leg just like you describe. The tendon was so lax that her knee bent backwards! It just killed me to watch her hobble around! Our vet gave her a shot of Vit.E/Sel, and told me to keep her stalled. The next day she was perfectly normal! It was amazing! Good luck with your little guy!

Hi, We had a foal previously born with the blood red eyes. It was our very first foal born on our farm - freaked my husband out. I was at a show with some other mini's and he called me stating that the filly's eyes were bleeding and the vet was on his way - middle of the night. (You know what I envisioned - later I told hubby that there is a big difference between bleeding eyes and very very red blood shot eyes) LOL

Once our vet got there he stated it is something he does see - it was caused by the mare having a very strong contraction as the foals head came out. Vet gave some type of shot and eye drops and in several days (maybe a week) all was fine.

So I think once your vet sees your foal - the vet probably can help solve your eye problem.

Well my little boy just wasnt delt a very good hand. The vet said that his hips getting stuck during birth and the seveer contractions that Tara had led to increased pressure on his brain and his eyes were detatched so blindness is permant and the vet said that they would eventually pop out of socket if they didnt get removed.

His legs did get better so his knee wasnt bending backwards.

I made the hard decision to put him down. He developed diarreah and the vet said he was septic and would require a lot of $$$ to keep him going which he wasnt guarrenteed to make it even then. It was so hard to see him just turning around in a circle cuz he couldnt see. I didnt think his quality of life would be good enough to warrent the expense so at 4 days old Dallas is laid to rest.
default_sad.png
I had a lot of plans for this boy.
no.gif
well his mom will be having a vacation and will not be bred back to my stallion. Maybe if i can find a tiny outside stallion i'll breed her then but is okay if she takes a long vacation from foaling.

Last foal of the season for me. Thanks for your support.

Dallas taking a nap on Sunday

dallassleeps.jpg

HI! I HAD A FILLY BORN THIS YEAR WHO IS BLIND ON HER LEFT SIDE. I HAD THE VET OUT THAT DAY AND HE SAID SO SORT OF BIRTH DEFECT. SHE TOO WAS TILTING HER HEAD AND DOING CIRCLES. AT FIRST SHE WOULDN'T FOLLOW HER MOM BECAUSE SHE WOULD LOOSE HER WHEN GOING TO THE BARN. WE FINALLY PUT A HALTER ON HER AND GUIDED HER IN AND OUT. SHE WILL BE A PET ONLY, NEVER BRED AND ALWAYS PROTECTED WHERE EVER SHE IS. SORRY YOU HAD TO PUT HIM DOWN,NOW HE IS RUNNING FREE AND HEALTHY, NO BLINDNESS NO LIMITATIONS OF ANY KIND. HE WAS LOVED.
default_hypocrite.gif

I am very sorry it came to this, but you did what you needed and he is now free from any discomfort and seeing everything in beautiful color. Hugs to you and his momma.

thanks for the condolences. It was a very hard decision. I was already extremely attached to him and had to make the decision while i was at work above all else and then pretend to be all smiles when ever customers were in. I've never had to put a horse down before. He's only the 4th foal i've ever lose and the other 3 were dead at birth so that wasnt nearly as bad. Had a sad little funeral last night and it rained. The vet put him in a plastic bag for me it was so tempting to take one last look but i didnt i just left it as it was and placed him in his grave near the house. His mom is still looking for him its so sad. He could have lived if he got past the amonia which was coming on but quality of life probably wouldnt have been the greatest so was for the best.

Crossing my fingers for an even better foaling season next year. Even that brings about some excitement and apprehension. I have 2 maiden mares that i plan to breed for late foals next year. Maiden mares are always scarry but luckily they are B sized and have good hip width so that makes it a bit easier. I dont know how people breed the mares that are 30" or less it would be way too nerve wracking for me worrying about potential foaling problems. thats the way of the mini world though some make it and some dont.

Its the one's that make it which keeps me going. I did get 4 beautiful healthy fillies this year and 1 colt.

Rest in peace Dallas....

I am so very sorry. You did what was best for the baby. And it still is heartbreaking when they rely on us. Please accept my condolences.

So very sorry to read of this sad outome for little Dallas. Thank you for loving him enough to consider his future against your heartache. Hugs and sympathy for you, the family and his Momma mare.

Anna

I am so sorry for your loss! You did what was best for him, but knowing that still doesn't make it any easier.

Latest posts

Back