Red Bag delivery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy G

Reaction score
I can not find it in any of my medical books.......Thank you......I just read on a earlier post what is is.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]It is a placenta previa. what comes first in the delivery is a red velvety bag, that is the placenta. you only have a few minutes to get in there and get the baby out. If the baby is in the right position then you can do ok. If it isnt, after 4 or 5 minutes the foal is lost. You cant wait for the mare to push it all out. You have to get into that red bag and pull the foal out. It can come because there is a problem and the placenta separates too soon and comes first, or it could just be that when the embryo migrated to the uterus and was floating for a bit that it chose to implant where it would eventually cover the cervix so that when it dilates durring labor it causes it to separate.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Lyn, Thank you very much ! I have been hearing about this for a long time and had no idea what it was.

Billy,

Lyn did a good job describing what a Red Bag (Placenta Previa) is all about. One thing that wasn't made clear was that the red velvety bag (the placenta) is THICK and you need to tear or cut it open....often with a sharp instrument. This also means taking care to cut through AWAY from the foal.....and all in a matter of minutes.

We keep a pair of scissors in our foaling kit. Have had ONE Red Bag delivery so far and thank heaven for this forum we knew what to do.

MA

Back