Red bag delivery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixshooterfarm

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have a question, why in the world are all of these horses having red bags??? What do you think is causing it? Can it be the wormers hat we are using, I think I may be going to an all natural wormer.I dont know what to think anymore.What do you guys think is causing it??

Hi Rachel,

Why don't you call Pam - I think that is who you bought Maximo from, right? She can tell you who the good vets are up your direction. I'm not familiar with any or I'd share that. I know there is a great alternate vet in the Foothills - Dr. Bader, but I'm not sure where he's located.

As for Red Bag deliveries there can be a number of reasons - do a google search on placenta previa or red bags in horses and you can read about it. I've often heard red bags can be caused by uterine infection in a mare.

Your mare went through something horrible, and only a necropsy could shed any light on the cause. If the foal was stuck - depending on how/why can tell you alot. We've had foals stuck that were dead (strangled on the cord), a dwarf (to large wasn't coming out), presenting sitting upside down dog style, head down, legs back, etc. It really pays to know a horses anatomy, as when you're in literally up to your elbow, you need to have an idea what you're feeling. Joann Ross at a foaling seminar mentioned this and I've found it to be true - hold your cat on your lap and feel the bones/structure. Excepting for the feet/hooves, it's very similar and you need to know how the legs bend, what a hip versus shoulder feel like, etc.

Again so sorry for the loss of your mare, I doubt there was much you could have done from what you've posted, so don't beat yourself up with the should of, would of could of doubts. Mourn your mare and learn more - that is the best you can do to honour her now.

I too have heard that red bags can be caused by uterine infections. For that reason, we give an herbal immune booster the last month of pregnancy. We've been luck so far and hopefully will continue to be, God willing.

I believe that red bags are likely caused by an infection. If I have a mare that has a red bag delivery, I will give her a course of SMZ's after foaling and will do the same thing the following year before she foals. I had a mare red bag this spring. She was put on SMZ's for 10 days and I will also give her SMZ's before she foals this coming spring. That's something for you to discuss with your vet.

Hm....my Thera's very first foaling last spring was red bag. She showed no signs of an infection at all yet it was still a redbag and difficult delivery. Had I not been right there Missy and Thera would have died. More info please?

I am so sorry for your loss. This question could very well save another.

one other thing to check is selenium levels in your hay. some think that having low selenium in a pregnant mare can cause red bags.

QUESTION: Is it safe to give a pregnant mare SMZ's? One of our mares has a nasty cough, but not going off her feed. Just not her usual bubbly self. My vet suggests letting the virus run it's course.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thank you.

Cindy

P.S.- Our first foaling experience was a red bag delivery.....horrible! Mama rejected the baby immediately. After all attempts to help the foal failed, and he subsequently died.

A year later, I found out the breeder had three foals out of this mare....all with the same result.
no.gif

She showed no signs of an infection at all
A mare won't usually 'show' any external signs of an infection EXCEPT early mammary development. If I have a mare bagging up early (what I deem to be earlier than when I think she should) I will likely put her on SMZ's and daily Regumate or weekly progesterone shots. She may have an infection and if she carries to term it could be a red bag, if she doesn't carry to term she'll abort late. Again, that's something you would want to discuss with your vet.

Is it safe to give a pregnant mare SMZ's?
Yes, SMZ's are safe for pregnant mares, but again, discuss their use with your vet. Always a good idea to use a probiotic as well if your horse is on those or any other antibiotic.

I ASK MY WIFE ABOUT "RED BAG DELIVERIES" THIS WAS HER RESPONSE. (SHE HAS DELIVERED OVER 300 BABIES AND WORKED FOR A VET FOR 10 YRS.)

A RED BAG DELIVERY IS WHEN THE PLACENTA TURNS LOOSE FROM THE UTERUS AND FLOATS BACK IN FRONT OF THE BABY AND IS DELIVERED FIRST.

SHE DOES NOT BELIEVE IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH "INFECTION"

SHE DOES SAY THAT IF THE BABY DEFICATES OR UNINATES IN THE BAG, THAT IT CAN CAUSE THE BAG TO BE A DIFFERENT COLOR AND COULD CAUSE AN INFECTION, BUT THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS A NORMAL RED BAG DELIVERY.

SHE IS NOT A VET, BUT HAS DELIVERED SO MANY BABIES I TRUST HER VIEWS AND KNOWLEDGE.

A bit about Red Bag as told to me by a vet that is easy to understand.

Think about the placenta as if the foal was encased in two socks. There's an

inner white sock that provides a cushion and protects the foal, and the

reddish sock has velcro all around the outer surface of the sock that attaches

to a surface on the lining of the uterus, through which nutrients, oxygen and

waste products are exchanged and then transported through the umbilical cord.

If the velcro prematurely separates, then all nutrient transport is stopped,

and that's why a previa placenta (red bag) is such a problem for foals.

During normal foaling, the white sock and foal push through a perforated area

in the red sock and then as the foal pushes through the pelvis, the white sock

rips and the foal is delivered free of both the socks. As the mare continues

to expel the placenta, the sock like structure turns itself inside out and

is presented in the shape of a mitten, as the pregnant horn is larger and the

nonpregnant horn of the uterus is much smaller. If you see the reddish

velcro life structure presenting before the foal is born, you're working against the clock, as oxygen transport has just been restricted.

The fetus develops within the "white" (i.e., amnionic membrane) sac and

it develops within the "red" (i.e., chorioallantois membrane) sac which

is attached to the uterine wall. Both are complete and closed sacs with

the "white" inside the cavity formed by the "red."

Also you can visit my website (link below) Part 1 and Part 2 on Red bag deliveries.

I am still working on Part 3.

Also Jos had sent me this article.Why perform a cytology smear in conjunction with a uterine culture? Its on his web site at

http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/cytology.shtml

Joyce

Joyce, That was a great explanation and a great article from Jos Mottershead. For those of you who are not subscribers to his forum you are missing out on some great info and advice. It is a strictly educational forum. Please everyone read the article before giving antibiotics. As Becky said you must talk to your vet. A culture with cytology is a necessity. I am going to post the link again here so that if you missed it on Joyce's post.

Culture plus Cytology

I have no idea what causes them, but assited a lady with one when visiting her farm last year. After watching several normal deliveries, a red bag is scary for sure. Her foal didn't make it, but the mare was ok. After waiting so long for that special foal to arrive any problems are so heatbreaking.

i dont know ..its scary though. Im expecting two this summer and these are starting to scare me a bit.

Leeana

Latest posts

Back