recreational drive with local driving club

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBH

Reaction score
Do I need noseband/cavesson on bridle, No check allowed correct?

Do I need Driving Apron?

How should I dress?

do I need spares kit?

The recreational drives that I have participated in have been very laid back. As long as the harness is safe and correctly fitted, they seem to be happy.

I would not think that you would need an apron or spares kit (though it's never a bad idea to carry some of the essentials with you, like a knife).

My neighbor drivers with a loose check because she says it prevents her horse from eating grass (it's her safety blanket) and no one has ever demanded that she take it off, though we all try to convince her she really doesn't need it.

I usually like to wear a polo and Khakis so I look a little more polished, but most people just come in jeans. I remember when I first went to a recreational drive, I was afraid I would look like I had no idea what I was doing, but I've learned to just relax and have fun, that's the whole purpose anyway! People are usually very helpful and willing to give advice/ answer questions at these sort of things as well. Have fun!

Our carriage club drives are VERY laid back! Pretty much everyone just does their own thing, and something is said only if safety is compromised. Some of us wear our helmets, but most don't. We have everything from minis to ponies to horses to drafts and even a few pairs. Carts include EE carts to forecarts to buckboards to marathon vehicles. Most everyone wears jeans, but shorts and khakis have been seen also. We do have one drive where we put on a little "show" for the public, so we bust out the aprons , jackets, and helmets for that (usually put on over the shorts/jeans and tank tops!
biggrin.gif
) I would recommend a spares kit of things you might need, including a pack of wet wipes, hoof pick, halter and lead, and a cupholder with a COLD drink. Don't forget your camera. If you are concerned about "fitting in", call the organizer and ask. Above all, have FUN!!

Latest posts

Back