Re-using sale horse pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paige

Reaction score
Just noticed that there's an ad on the sale board using pictures I took for a friend to help her sell a horse. The horse sold but apparently the horse is being resold. Do I have the right to ask the seller to take her own pictures rather than use mine? I'm pretty sure my friend who I took the pictures for is not aware of the horse being up for sale again. LOL maybe I should ask for commission as I see the value of the horse has gone up! Maybe I'm just being picky but I guess I'd ask before using someone else's photos. What do you guys think?

You have every right to have the seller use their own pictures-- the person who takes the photographs has the copyright to them.
default_yes.gif
:

You absolutely have the right to ask them to remove your pictures. I use other people's pictures all the time, but I ask PERMISSION first!!! If they say no, which rarely happens, I say thanks anyway and move on. If the person had asked your permission, they may have found that you would have said yes also. But they didn't!

I would just let it go, and hope the horse finds a better home where it will spend the rest of its life.
default_wink.png
:

Did your friend give her the pictures, or did this person just take them?

Any horse I sell, all pictures go with them and the new owner can use as they wish. When I buy a horse, I usually ask to use the pictures for myself, I've never been told no.

For me, I wouldn't worry about it as it is a picture of a horse they now own,,,,,but that may just be me.

Frankie, You are a very good seller to let the new owner use all the pictures...I know I would do the same but I did have a seller give me permission and then rescind it. I guess maybe the seller didn't want a horse she bred shown to others
default_wink.png
: Mary

Did your friend give her the pictures, or did this person just take them?

Any horse I sell, all pictures go with them and the new owner can use as they wish. When I buy a horse, I usually ask to use the pictures for myself, I've never been told no.

For me, I wouldn't worry about it as it is a picture of a horse they now own,,,,,but that may just be me.

I would certainly allow any and all of our buyers to use pictures that we had taken (and DO). Seems a little petty to begrudge such a thing to your customer, in my opinion.

I guess I wouldn't even have given it a second thought. I've seen alot of my pictures used, even put on websites a couple owners down the line. Too bad these little horses get passed around so much, it's sad.

I personally believe if they own the horse, they should be allowed to use any photo's of the horse unless they were paid for such as photo's by Liz - but even then, I would ask to have copies of those, even if I had to pay!

I guess I have always assumed it was okay...if anyone were to approach me and ask me to please not use photo's they used, I would respect it and just keep the photo's to myself, and personal friends and family.

Well im sure this is all person opinion. But I think people should take thier own pics if they are wanting to sell a horse. I had sold a horse to what I thought was a loving, caring and long term home, and I might ad for a very reasonable price. The buyer sold the horse 6 weeks later to broker and then low and behold the broker has the horse advertised and is using the pics from my website to advetise the horse. I was beyond peeved. And I surely did not appreciate that they were using my pics without my persmission.

I will ad that I have and do use pics of the horses I own on my website that were the former owner, but I have thier permission, and would not be using them to sell the horse, as I would think the buyers deserve a recent pic of the horse they are buying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a problem with people using photos that I took of horses that I sell.... I try to provide anything that I can to a new owner to help them have a record of the horse that they bought. And, I DO provide new photos of horses for sale, along with a video of the horse, to anyone who requests them.

I also know that as horses come and go in many of our lives, it is almost an impossible task to find out where many photos originally came from. And, rather than continually stewing over the issue, (life is REALLY to short for that... LOL!) I would suggest to anyone that DOES have a problem with photos being used, perhaps a polite email requesting permission to use them or to remove them from a site? It is very possible that the person using the photos doesn't know where they came from or that there is an issue with the photo being used.

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

I don't think I would care if they used any photos as long as they're good ones! I give all the photos, as well as all records of a horse to the new owner anyway.

If it really bothers you though, say something to the person, no sense getting upset and doing nothing.

Any horse I sell, all pictures go with them and the new owner can use as they wish. When I buy a horse, I usually ask to use the pictures for myself, I've never been told no. For me, I wouldn't worry about it as it is a picture of a horse they now own,,,,,but that may just be me.
Me too. All 3 horses we've sold this year are currently on their new owners' websites--in photos we took here. In our case the new owners did ask permission to use the photos but I wouldn't have cared if they hadn't--in fact I would have offered use of the photos.

I think it is compliment to your to use your picture rather than theirs. As long as it is the same horse, I would leave it be.

If you were MY photographer and got this petty about pictures of a horse that I later sold, I'd never hire you again. When I sell a horse, the pictures go with it as a package deal. Hard copies, email copies, whatever the customer wants if I have it.

You asked for opinions, so there is mine.

I feel it's very reasonable for the owner of a horse to use any and all pictures of the horse that have been provided to him or her, unless he/she was told UP FRONT not to use the pictures. I feel that the pictures should be able to be used to show off the horse and to sell the horse, though as the perspective new buyer, I would want to see current pictures as well.

(Btw, if I were told up front I could not use prior pictures of a horse I was thinking of buying -- I'd change my mind. All it takes is ONE red flag, and I'm no longer interested.)

Well I guess I'm petty because this would also bother me.

Taking good pictures is a LOT of work!! I mean a LOT! It's like a part time job! It's something I happen to do a little better than average and I take pride in it.

I lock the pictures on my website so the average person can't just take them and use them for their own purposes. I would like to be asked.

A buyer used them on her web site without permission and I didn't really mind. When I saw it, I made a comment to whoever I was sitting with and forgot about it until now.

But a second buyer who now wants to sell? I'd be annoyed. And I might even come here to crab about it! lol

But I wouldn't bother writing to ask them to remove it. Not worth my time.

I'm not a great photographer, but I did get some very nice pictures of the horses I sold. I took my time to groom the horses and H and I both worked on getting nice pictures together. That effort is such a tee tiny amount of effort compared to the time I took caring for the horses which I sold all rights to, so why sweat if they enjoy using photos I took?

I would just let it go, and hope the horse finds a better home where it will spend the rest of its life.
default_wink.png
:
I have to agree with this not saying the home it is at isnt a good one I mean lets be honest the orginal seller sold the horse for a reason as well.

A side note for sure but I always wonder.. why when seller A sells a horse to buyer it is alright and acceptable to sell a horse but when buyer then opts to sell said horse somehow any reasons they have for selling are totally mute as Seller A is now offended horse is up for sale.

I think this is a huge problem in that many sellers seem to take offense when someone sells a horse they bought from then when obviously they sold the horse for a reason as well-if for some reason it didint fit with Seller A and there program why is it so hard to believe after sometime or right away it might not fit in with Seller B's either?

I realize Totally that this isnt the situation here.. just something that I have seen and wondered about is all..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back